Find
Notify
Tools

TR's Springfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Much has been written about, and many photographs, and even at least one film, have been made featuring TR's Holland & Holland .500/.450 Nitro Express double rifle.

Less but still a fair amount has been written about TR's 1895 Winchester in .405 Win.--his "Lion Medicine." I have seen many excellent photographs of this rifle.

But I have never read a good description of or seen a clear picture of TR's 1903 Springfield sporter. Made in about 1909, it must have been one of the first ever Springfield sporting rifles. In "African Game Trails" he says he had it "stocked and sighted to suit myself" but doesn't say much else. He did say that he used the then "new" .30 caliber military pointed bullets.

Does anyone know anything about this famous Springfield, such as who made it for him, what the stock and sights were like, etc.? Or better yet, can anyone point me to a good picture of it? TR has always been a sort of hero of mine and I have often wondered about this.

Thanks.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R. L. Wilson's book Theodore Roosevelt OUTDOORSMAN has some pretty good information and some photos. The following is from memory..... I believe the rifle was actually made and presented to the President in about 1905. It was chambered in .30-03 (not .30-06). Wilson's book documents this well. I believe the government armory (Springfield Armory?) made the rifle to the President's specifications.

It's not a photo, but here's a drawing of it:

Drawing caption:

Antlers of moose shot September 19, 1915, with Springfield rifle No. 6000, Model 1903

Photo and drawing from A Book-Lover�s Holidays in the Open by Theodore Roosevelt, 1916.

I'm sure some of our resident experts will be able to provide some more info about it.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Theodore Roosevelt Rifle
TR ordered his Springfield in November 1903. It was delivered in February 1904. He specified that it be sighted exactly as his Winchester, the stock was to be one inch shorter than the Winchester. This rifle was probably the first Springfield sportier rifle. The rifle was the earlier 30.03 not the later 30.06 the serial number is 6000.

Posts: 25 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote