New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another tusk question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While I have been looking for custom grips for my new Ruger Bisley Ivory pops up quite regularly. I understand the whole bit about what ivory can be sold but was wondering if it would be legal to have grips made from an Elephant you legally shot and imported the tusks?

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes. As long as you don't sell/give any away for consideration, you can use your ivory.

You may want to get some sort of identification placed on it so it can be documented that it is the same ivory though (like having the carver put a SN and have a letter from him documenting your tusk number, etc.)

Any person who works with ivory regularly should be able to help you through it. You can also call USFWS, and while it may take a while to get the right person, they are usually willing to help explain the rules.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So when I die, my choices are what?

Can my widow sell my ivory for grips and knife handles?

Can I do it while I'm alive? (I'd hate to do that).

Can I stick the whole damn tusk up a democrat's ass? Now that I'd enjoy, but I need something to get the bloodstains off the ivory.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you die it goes to your heirs.

You can give it away for no consideration I think as well, but if it's a friend who does things for you, it may be an issue.

It's just no one can make any money on it.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
So when I die, my choices are what?

Can my widow sell my ivory for grips and knife handles?

Can I do it while I'm alive? (I'd hate to do that).

Can I stick the whole damn tusk up a democrat's ass? Now that I'd enjoy, but I need something to get the bloodstains off the ivory.

If you took the elephant prior to 1977 (I believe is the year) you can sell it within the USA. If taken after that date it can't be sold. It can be given away or destroyed. Don't you love living in a country where you can't utilize your personal property the way you wish. Wouldn't it have been nice if our forefathers had put a "taking clause" in the constitution? Oh yea. Confused

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Wheels, and as you point out, they did.

The current Administration cares little about the Constitution.

The fate of my tusks is the least of our worries.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my elephant in 2003, and a few years later I was thinking about moving to Thailand.

As I recall, my CITES permit stated the ivory could not ever leave the USA.

However, I was told by a Customs agent at the time (around 2005, I think), that as long as the ivory was inspected, I could send it with my household goods to Thailand.

I wonder if that is still true?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote