New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAPS 520 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm filling out the forms today for RSA entry with firearms. Is it acceptable to print the pages on both sides to reduce the number of pages from 8 to 4?

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
For the sake of four 8.5x11 sheets of paper, I think I'd just print it and not take the chance of the SAPS officer wondering why your permit app looks different than the other 10,000 permit apps he's seen since the law went into effect. This is the type of thing that works fine in the first world but can cause chaos and uncertainty in the third world.

Its risk and reward, and the reward of saving four sheets of paper just ain't worth the risk, man.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Leave it as it is. Save yourself some grief.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Will nailed it. When traveling to Africa do as little as possible to attract any attention to yourself, gear or your paperwork.

On my seconds safari I had to change guns at the last minute and like a dumb ass I scratched out the original gun info on the gun permit and added my new info. No problem entering Zim but on the way out it caused about a 20 minute very uncomfortable goat rope as nobody knew what to do. Finally the customs guy explained that the problem was that we could be taking out a different rifle than we had brought in as I had scratched out the original info which made perfect sense when I thought about it. They let us go an wished us well but they could have confiscated the gun and who knows what else that I don't want to think about.

This is an extreme example of my stupidity but it was something different and sent the officials into a tail spin. Don't give them any reason to notice or remember you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good advice. Thanks to everyone. I was in the reduce everything mode while getting the bags to the underweight limit and probably got a little carried away. Also the printer auto prints on both sides. We'll Robin and I are almost ready. Lift off is Thursday. Need to shoot a little more this weekend off the sticks and other field positions, clean the guns and sit on the back porch with a drink or two and day dream of the 30 days we will spend in SA and Zim. I'm already smiling.

John

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
will nailed it - leave it as it is , these kind of departments not only detest change but will automatically reject anything thats different to the norm just on principle ...even if it makes abundant sense !!! welcome to africa Wink

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
John:

I'll be on the plane with you as discussed elsewhere. So will Bill73 and nitro450express. We're meeting at the Delta Sky Club to await the 16 hour experience. Please check your P.M.'s for a telephone number to coordinate entry to the club and find each other.

As to SAPS, it ain't a big deal. If Bill73 (Bal) can do it, anybody can. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha ha...

Save the paper AND try using BLUE INK.

See where that gets you.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote