Notify
Tools

Big Croc -
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted
quote:
Picture taken in the Kruger National Park-South Africa.

The animal in its jaws is a fully-grown Warthog, from this it can be deduced that the croc is over a meter in height by MANY meters long.

Can that be, a croc over 1 meter (39.4 inches) in height?

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been around two very large crocs - one dead, one alive. I would say that "yes" they can stand that tall "if they stand up with their shoulders back" as your mom always told you to do.

Seriously, a big croc is very impressive - dead or alive. I was stunned at the girth of the one my son shot in Zim. It was 14' long and rotund.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe that someone on this board has not asked

" Why did the croc cross the road?"

clap

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dogcat:

clap[/QUOTE

That was great! rotflmo

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

clap

Better ask "Why didn't the warthog find a safer means of transportation?" Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

clap

To give the warthog a lift.

I've seen that same picture without tusks on the warthog attributed to an alligator in Florida also.

That warthog looks really smooth and short haired maybe it's just out of the salon.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krikey! Can you imagine someone walking down the road and having that cross in front of you? I bet all of the locals are in high gear going the other direction.

Neat photo.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looks like another croc took a bite out of this one's tail section. With hardly any fear of man, the animals in Kruger are quite "tame". However, you are prohibited from getting out of the car, sticking your body parts out of the window, etc. while in the park, with the exception of the bridge over the Oliphants River, where you are allowed to stop and get out on the bridge to stretch and take photos, or when you are in any of the camps/compounds. A wise rule when you come across something like this. . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only animal I have ever killed and when walking up to same not felt any killers remorse whatsoever. They are some nasty things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any guesses on age...50, 70?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote