New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotels in Cape Town
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife and I will hunt Namibia and RSA the month of Sept. After the hunt we want to hang a few days in Cape Town as we have never been.
Gracy says Cape Heritage Hotel and they have a safe for our guns too.
What about it?
Your suggestion and input please.
Better tomorrows,
Mims

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mims:

I have stayed a the Commodore Hotel on the Victoria & Albert waterfront area. Excellent views of the harbor and Table Mountain depending on room location. My room had these views.

It is a beautiful place with an excellent restaurant and they do have a safe and secure gun room. You can easily stroll the wharf area.

Not sure what the rates are now but they were around $100-125/night as I recall in 2001.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mims,

Here is a very good website Review of Cape Heritage Hotel

Be sure and read the Visitor's Reviews (Other Reviews section). The hotel is located away from the major tourist attractions. I would consider a hotel within immediate walking distance to the V&A Waterfront. Security is an issue in Cape Town, so you don't want to be walking long distances.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might like to contact my friend & neighbour John Ilsley who runs a booking company. - He'll offer you a choice of accommodations and tell you all about each one including firearms storage facilities and also advise on and if you wish book drivers, vehicles & tours etc.

His prices are the same or cheaper than the places themselves will offer to the retail market. He's 100% reliable and comes with my highest recommendation.

You can contact him at john@detra.co.za

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Mims,

I stayed at the Cape Herritage a couple of years ago and thought that it was a very nice place. Hotel itself was a more old style atmosphere and was very nice. Yes, it is not close to the V&A, but had no problem jumping in a cab and going there or going anywhere else for that matter. If you are going to be in Cape Town, you will want to see the sights and no need to be at the V&A the whole time anyway. Go to the point and take a tour along the coast etc. as well.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just returned from 28 days in Africa. We stayed at the Cape Heritage Hotel for 5 days/4 nights. It was a wonderful experience. They treated us great, picked us up at the airport, and locked my rifles in their gun safe the entire time we were there. They are absolutely top-notch people. If you email me privately, I can email you some photos of the hotel and our room in it.

I'd like to also recommend a tour guide there. Her name is Lesley Cox (ambertours@wol.co.za - cell phone there 083 448 7016) She met us as a representative of the hotel at the airport. We booked an all-day private tour with her, and she did an outstanding job of showing Cape Town to us. Make sure you see table mountain, the penguins, the cape of good hope, etc. She can also tell you where to get bargains. I think she cost something like $200 for a full day and evening. A bargain at the price.

Lesley also recommended a guy (can't remember his name) that gave the best massages my wife and I have ever had. He used hot rocks, and for 3 days I never felt so good.

You won't be disappointed at the Cape Heritage. It's walking distance from about 5 restaurants and the downtown shopping center.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Commodore last May and really enjoyed the hotel. Good proximity to the Waterfront. They also have a gun safe.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Cape Grace http://www.capegrace.com/home/default.asp and had a wonderful room, view, service, etc... They also have a safe place to store your guns. Pony up and treat the missus right for once. Smiler

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

Let me second what Jeff has to say about both the Cape Heritage and Lesley. We stayed there for three nights last July and could not have been more pleased with the hotel. Small and charming with a very nice staff. Really enjoyed the group breakfast each morning. Met some very nice people.

Lesley took us on a tour of the wine country that was great. We also went with her to the Cape. She was a good guide

The real highlight of Cape Town though, was climbing Table Mountain. Took most of the day and really wore me out, but was worth it. We were going to take the gondola, but it was down so we had to climb. Don't know if I would do it again, but am glad to say that I climbed the mountain. Some of the best views that these eyes have ever seen.

I would also recommend that you eat at the Codfather while you are in Cape Town. Great seafood.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got the info you need. One other name that was good to us was the Winchester, on the waterfront also. It is small with a little cafe attached. It is older but clean and in a good part of town. Very reasonable too if I remember correctly. It was perfect for me and my son coming back from a tented camp.. Your wife may prefer more frills, however I don't know her tastes either.
I would second the rec's on Table Mountain, and cape point. If we had time we would have done the wine country tour also. Good hunting. D

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Commodore is a 5 Star hotel and very good but
Victoria & Albert, 4 Star is smaller and more familiar!

I prefer Victoria & Alebrt altough Commodore has a Sauna thumb

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mims, Zack and I stayed at the Cape Heritage on our return trip. Great hotel, very classy & comfortable. It was close enough to the waterfront for walking during the day, and we felt quite safe. We took cabs at night. HIghtly recommended. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mims, we stayed at the Portswood in Cape Town and loved it. We also had a personal chaufer for three days and the total cost was less than a rental. He kept us out of the bad areas and steered us to the local places for seafood. The fancy places are good but by far the best meals we had were places the local rich go, not the tourist hot spots.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate the quick and informed responses. I think we have a good idea where and what to do now. Wife enjoys the wine and I know I will enjoy the view from Table Top if you can see that day. Looking forward to seeing the sights in and around C T.
Thanks for everyones input. Most appreciated.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry, we have a gun safe...and lots of wine for your wife!

HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN
http://www.kapstadt.de/lemberg

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote