Find
Notify
Tools

375H&H vs 458 WM penetration test
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted
If a hippo is shot with these two calibres using the same make of solid and shot into the heart lung area which calibre will give you the best penetration

458 = 475gr
375 = 300gr

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very open ended question and there are many factors to take into account.

I am assuming that you are looking at shooting a Hippo on dry land? If so, in my humble opinion the .458 will be the better option; provided it is in the 2150+ fps range. 375 solids penetrate well but that hole is really small and it will take the Hippo a while to go down.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
All else being equal, the 375 wins.

Google Penetration Index.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a body shot on a hippo the .375 will win on penetration.

Which one to choose for a hippo on land and (usually) at night? The .458.

Which one to brain shoot a hippo in the water? .375 using something like a Barnes TSX. Actually the TSX from the .375 would be my choice for a heart shot on a hippo on land as well, but since you asked about solids...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
We took a hippo last night the 375 gave exit wounds on all the shots the 458 didn't but like Ganyana said the 458 pulled the handbrake up.

the 375 won the penetration battle and proved to me once again that it is a capable of doing the job like we all know its shot place that counts

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

I Googled "penetration" and what I got was not at all rifle related. Eeker

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

I Googled "penetration" and what I got was not at all rifle related. Eeker

rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on who you talk too..I know that Finn Aagard said the .458 would outpenetrate his beloved .375 H&H..So did Elmer..and several PHs of vast experience have also indicated the .458 will outpenetrate the .375 H&H.

I have never run these tests but I would ASSUME the .375 would win but in many instances that does not seem to be the case, which makes me wonder if some of these posts arn't maybe making the same assumption without actual knowledge..

Maybe this is a project for RIP and his barrel of whatever he uses to test bullets in...

The only thing I know for sure is the .375 and 458, properly loaded with good solids, has all the penetration one could possibly want..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Okay, then Google on

quote:
all the penetration one could possibly want..

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post

My PH believed the 375 had more penetration on elephant than any other standard caliber.

He carried a 416 Rigby.

If you can handle more recoil, I suspect he would have urged you to a larger caliber however.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tested the 375H&H vs. the 458wm. The 375H&H vs. the 458wm, both shooting the Woodleigh solids, 300grs and 500grs respectively. They are about equal with the 375 at ~ 2475fps and the 458wm at ~2145fps.

Switch to North Forks for the 458wm and there is no comparison, the NF's rule, vs the 375 round noses.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
I've tested the 375H&H vs. the 458wm. The 375H&H vs. the 458wm, both shooting the Woodleigh solids, 300grs and 500grs respectively. They are about equal with the 375 at ~ 2475fps and the 458wm at ~2145fps.

Switch to North Forks for the 458wm and there is no comparison, the NF's rule, vs the 375 round noses.

JPK

This was flat nose solids i think they perform better than round nose solids they penetrate in a straight line