THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    300 GR 375 Caliber Walterhog Meets Bullet Proof Glass!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 GR 375 Caliber Walterhog Meets Bullet Proof Glass!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We were given a piece of bullet proof glass, and were told to shoot it.

I though you might enjoy seeing this.

Video

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ehst does the bullet look like?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
walterhog gives new meaning to "bullet proof"

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How thick was the glass?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
holycow

Cold fusion?

Irresistible force meets immovable object ... not quite.
Something gave.

More details please, on the remains of the bullet.
Video camera survived the flying glass?
Photo of the backside of glass and where did the bullet come to rest, or fragments thereof?
Is that dark star shape in the bottom of the glass crater the remains of the bullet?

What does the maker claim that glass will protect against? Not 50 BMG AP, eh?

popcorn

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No such thing as bullet proof glass, only bullet resistant glass. Same thing with body armour.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I shot a 300 grain .375 caliber solid from my .375 H&H through a one inch thick metal plate once. I was surprised to see that it went right through.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have more photos which I willpost tomorrow.

I have found 2 pieces of the bullet abot 50 yards behind the glass, as well as a round soft of halo too.

I will take photos and post them tomorrow.

The glass was about 30 yards away.

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted Hide Post
In norway it`s not allowed to sell Solids, because they are classified as Panser penetrator

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, so!
That dark "stellate" spot in the bottom of the crater is a big ol' hole all the way through the not-bullet-proof glass.

Scoring:

Walterhog: 1
Bullet Proof Glass: 0

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Barnes X banned by ATF, to be followed by the Walter-Hog. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That ain't glass and it sure ain't bulletproof! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The glass was probably only a level 3 or level 3plus, either 19mm or 21mm.......

That glass is only rated for handgun calibers...

Had it been a level 4, 5, 6 or 7 it would be much more likely to stop it. Howver a level 3 is not rated for long guns.

A slug from a shotgun will also penetrate a level 3 bulletproffing.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is............................... YOU HAVE TO MUCH FUN !!!!!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Bottom line is............................... YOU HAVE TO MUCH FUN !!!!!

I agree!

tu2

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Photos of the entrance and exit holes of the bullet.

The glass is 42 mm thick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Photos of the entrance and exit holes of the bullet.

The glass is 42 mm thick.

Entrance hole rotated 180 degrees from first photo:

Exit hole, more impressive crater at the blowout side, revealing a laminated construction of the "glass" with at least four layers:

Were any globules of melted glass/acrylic found down range, or up range?
When most of 5000 ft-lbs of kinetic energy is dissipated in such a short distance as 42 mm, it gets "warm" in the craters.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There were small pieces that came back to us 30 yards. And there were very small pieces scatteredall over the tunnel, some all the way to the end.

One pice of bullet was found a couple of feet back towards us. Another piece - the rear end of the bullet - was found about 50 yards further from the glass.

I will take photos and post.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:
The glass was probably only a level 3 or level 3plus, either 19mm or 21mm.......

That glass is only rated for handgun calibers...

Had it been a level 4, 5, 6 or 7 it would be much more likely to stop it. Howver a level 3 is not rated for long guns.

A slug from a shotgun will also penetrate a level 3 bulletproffing.

So what grade is 42mm thick glass? Hhhhmmm! Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I understans that they have tried both AK47 and 7.62 Nato on this glass and non managed to get through.

I would also imagine that if these did not penetrate it, then a shotgun slug would certainly not do it.

I was asked about the load used.

375/404 rifle, 300 grain Walterhog bullets - lathe turned HP made here.

88 grains of H4831 and Federal 215 primer in Norma 404 brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Ol' Pal,

There was 5000 foot-pounds of glass shard kinetic energy thrown from that plate, so the craters probably did not heat up much.
Not melted, just pulverized and ejected, eh?

Did you mean H4350, not H4831?

You would be downloading to quite a bit slower velocity with the H4831 than with the H4350, at 88 grain charge.
That looks like an H4350 hole and cratering to me. Wink

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Doc,

No, it was H4831, I was loading 7mm Remingtom Magnum at the time, and thought I will just go ahead and use it and see.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I understand that they have tried both AK47 and 7.62 Nato on this glass and non managed to get through.

I would also imagine that if these did not penetrate it, then a shotgun slug would certainly not do it.
Saeed - It is very common for shotgun slugs to penetrate a panel of "bullet proof glass" that 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rounds fail to penetrate. This is true with both laminated glass and homogenous polycarbonate.

It's a matter of MOMENTUM!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Momentum of 1-ounce/12-Ga shotgun slug at 1600 fps = exactly 100 lb-ft/sec.

Momentum of 300-grain/.375 Walterhog at 2800 fps = exactly 120 lb-ft/sec.

It's not all about momentum.

The above shotgun slug has less than 2500 ft-lbs Kinetic Energy.

The above Walterhog has more than double the KE, well over 5000 ft-lbs.

The Walterhog concentrates the momentum and KE into a smaller cross sectional area: Higher "Penetration Index," greater "Momentum Density."

It may well be that a shotgun slug could get through a piece of glass that stops an AK-47 or 7.62 Nato round,
if the loads and glass are both selected properly.

But a shotgun slug is never going to be as good a penetrator as a .375 Walterhog,
because Saeed could also cook that Walterhog load too.
He had it at half throttle in the one-shot test.

Also, he could use a different bullet construction and material if he wanted to specialize in glass, instead of game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys

this is NOT a good thread---while I love it the BATFE might not--lets not give them ideas.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
RIP -

"It is very common for shotgun slugs to penetrate a panel of "bullet proof glass" that 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rounds fail to penetrate."

The comparison was of a 12 gauge slug which penetrated to "both AK47 and 7.62 Nato" which did not. Yes, it is a mater of momentum.

I agree that "a shotgun slug is never going to be as good a penetrator as a .375 Walterhog". I never suggested otherwise.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Guys

this is NOT a good thread---while I love it the BATFE might not--lets not give them ideas.

SSR

and what exactly do you think the BATF is going to do about an Emirati posting test results on his own website??? GET REAL! live in fear of Big Brother and your life will be meaningless. i, for one, am impressed with the result.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
42mm glass would be either a level 4 or a level 4plus , or european b5....... should definitively stop a .223, or an ak47 round, in fact its rated for 3 hits of those bullets in the same place, also would stop a slug from a shotgun .... unless its a kevlar tipped "armour piercing" one.....

Interesting that bullet went through....

we had a window off one of our cars that the corner chipped on, so we put a new one on and used the old one for target practice,, 21mm 3plus, and it stopped all handgun calibers, and a 12 gauge all lead slug would break through, but barely penetrate, we didnt try any rifle cartridges, wish I had some pictures...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote