Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter's Antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted
I'm reading "Sport Hunter in Africa" by John McGowan and have noticed a nice picture of a Hunter's Antelope he took on a mid 1950's safari. I have seen a few other pictures in other materials but don't know much about the species.

Is there still a population? Extinct? Just curious as they certainly are a unique looking animal.

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Hunter's or Hiriola Antelope were limited to a very small spot in Kenya.

Definitely distinctive looking, but probably all but extinct, given game management in Kenya...

Posts: 10969 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I think the Hunter's or Hiriola Antelope were limited to a very small spot in Kenya.

Definitely distinctive looking, but probably all but extinct, given game management in Kenya...

An area full of Somali also..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to IUCN, Critically Endangered.

The Hirola is endemic to north-east Kenya and south-west Somalia. Historical distribution is estimated to have covered ca. 17,900 km² in Kenya and ca. 20,500 km² in Somalia (Bunderson 1981, East 1999, Butynski in press). In Kenya, Hirola currently occur between Garsen, Bura and Galma Galla/Kolbio over an area of ca. 8,000 km² (Butynski 1999). Current status in south-west Somalia is not known, but its former range has been badly affected by prolonged civil and military conflicts that continued up to early 2007.

There is a small translocated population in Tsavo East National Park, outside the species’ natural range. This originated from a translocation of 30 animals from Garissa District conducted in 1963. It is thought that most of these perished soon after release and that the size of the “effective founder population” was only 11 to 19 animals (Butynski 1999). A further 10 animals were translocated to Tsavo East in 1996 (Hofmann 1996).

More info

http://www.iucnredlist.org/app...dlist/details/6234/0

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...701006211#3701006211

SilentT,

Here is an old thread with story and photo.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post

I would hate to see a species go extinct like that. I wonder if there are any in captivity? Hell, some should be given to South Africa game ranchers...i'd bet they would get them to survive and prosper!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote