Find
Notify
Tools

The Wisdom of John Taylor
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
I have begun rereading "African Rifles and Cartidges" by John Taylor. This must be at least my third time though it over the past 10 years. And it always amazes me how little has changed in meaningful firearms technology since this book was penned in 1948.

Taylor recommends good optics on his rifles, other then the stoppers, good quality softpoints that hold together and penetrate, the importance of quality solids and so on. Quality in his rifles was also important.

One section I just finished relates his glowing reports of the 375 H&H and the 375 H&H rimmed(as a medium bore), and how he had 5 different rifles in this caliber. With one of those rifles he fired over 5,000 rounds at game and the other 4 nearly as much. It is possible that he shot 20,000 rounds of 375 caliber at game! Amazing to my mind.

And he documents his results well and with decent method. Yes, he was a poacher, operating illegally much of his career, but for firearms wisdom just as valid today, there is nothing that compares.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Second that!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for a copy of this book for some time. Have a standing order in on Amazon but they never seem to have one in stock. I have heard that the book is great and that his experiences with various bore rifles are quite interesting.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
My father, John Taylor, exaggerated to no end, but you are right, he was right about rifles, cartridges, and ballistics. Wink

Not much new since his time.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I have been looking for a copy of this book for some time. Have a standing order in on Amazon but they never seem to have one in stock. I have heard that the book is great and that his experiences with various bore rifles are quite interesting.

ROSCOE, I just checked http://www.safaripress.com and They have one copy $39.95 Do a search by name TAYLOR, or by book title, in the upper left hand corner of the home page!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Taylor's book is my favorite "toilet read." I read something in that book everyday.

Great stuff!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have been to a gun show in the last two years where at least one used book dealer didn't have a copy.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of Will

Posted Jan 11, 6:44 AM
My father, John Taylor, exaggerated to no end, but you are right, he was right about rifles, cartridges, and ballistics. Wink

Will, could you elaborate or illucidate or ruminate on this comment?
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had his book, Africa Rifles and Cartridges for years, still love it, still read it, still think Taylor had it on the ball, great hunter and very intelligent. Wish we had another John Pondoro Taylor.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do think some of his writing was a figment of his imagination. But he lived in great times and truly nothing that he said then is not valid today.

Perhaps better bullets make all the difference but not much else!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
"Pondoro" was many things and not all of them acceptable in good company, however, his wisdom and experience in the small arms and munitions for game is unmatched. The tome "African Rifles and Cartridges" should be required reading for any would be hunter, regardless of continent! Men are still men, and beasts ar still beasts (thank God) and what worked then will work now.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stories about the Lion say that Taylor was gay.
Could this be true about a man that made his living amoung the dangerous beasts? I don't want to beleive this. He is one of my heros.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My only problem with Will's Old Man was that he didn't write enough! He was then and remains today, in a class by himself.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
It's too bad how (that I read at least) his last years in London ended.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am a big fan of John Taylor.
I suggest ya'll read "Big Game and Big Game Rifles", Pondoro, Last of the Ivory Hunters,
And his Shadows of Shame.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Taylor's book is my favorite "toilet read." I read something in that book everyday.

Great stuff!

Remind me to never borrow or buy a safari book from 577NE!

Eeker

Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Not much new since his time.

Will,
You and ole "dad" must of had one hell of time living under the same roof, with his high recomendation of doubles as a personal preference in firearms for use on game and all.
Cool

Double rifles being a "romantic fantasy" in your mind.

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
John Taylor is beyond a doubt my favorite author on big game hunting. His analysis and findings are simply priceless even today. Only a handful of men who've ever lived have exceeded or even come close to his level of experience in the field. Whether you like his style in certain things or not, you cannot discard his TREMENDOUS knowledge and experience afield. He literally LIVED in the bush year 'round for most of those 30 years he hunted. He dropped game by the thousands and had a intimate knowledge of the habits and environment of those animals that few have ever had.

Taylor was simply amazing and he was and still is one of the all time great big game hunters, IMHO. He's definitely in the top five of the all-time greatest dare I say...

I've read all his books several times and never tire of them. When reading Taylor it's like being right there with him when that lion or elephant is in full-charge from just a few paces away! I particularly am amazed at his coolness to DROP TO ONE KNEE to take the shot at a charging lion... I would think kneeling down would be the last thing I'd want to do but I can see where he's coming from because he's getting right down there at eye level with it and is far less likely to put the shot over his back if the lead is incorrect!

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Re the inquiry about Taylor's orientation....I think Capstick wrote a bio of him, which I read, and he deals with all this. Taylor was expelled from at least one African country for his 'predilictions" and they were well known.

I am sorry I cannot cite the bio, or the sources, as I am away from home, but upon my return I will update this comment.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a Taylor fan at all. I have read his books and find him prone to exagerate. On his comments on guns and cartridges, he is accurate, but he says little more than other contemporary writers of his time. He wrote to sell books and fund his exploits in Africa and then back in England when he "retired". I am not sure that a large part of what he wrote was for public consumption.

I see Capstick a little the same way.

I find Teddy Roosevelt, Corbett and Selous to be better and more authentic for my liking.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote