Find
Notify
Tools

Average distance for plains game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
What would be the distance, approximate, for collecting the different antelopes?
Currently I'm practicing at 200 yards to 400 yards off hand and/or supported.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you go AND your PH is going to make sure you get close enough for you to feel comfortable.

Nothing to do with your question, but what kinds of groups can you get at 200 and 400 yards, supported and offhand.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You're practicing good! Anywhere from 50 yards to 400 yards has been my experience. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response.
I'm shooting at 12 by 12 steel gongs. When I'm on my game I'm hitting them 9 out of 10 shoots. What's fun is I'm doing with a Winchester 95 30-06 with a receiver sight.
I try to do a mix of kneeling, off hand, leaning against a post, using a post to support my off hand.
One of these days I want to get a staff or shooting stick and see how well that works.
When my other Winchester gets back from the gunsmith I'll have a 375 Whelen to work with.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My zebra was at 150, Judy about 275, and gemsbock at 425. So average was a little under 300

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it tough on my one trip so far, to the Eastern Cape, seeing that most of my shooting here averages fifty yards. Admittedly, I was too excited, but also I think some tweaking beforehand to the trigger could've helped - that's my tip. I got one shot kills, but it was more by luck than design. Phew! A kudu at 220 metres, a blesbok at 175 metres and an impala at 80 metres. I take my hat off to you blokes who are confident at 300 metres plus! Phew! Anyway, I'm working on both me and my set-up for next time...

Where, in South Africa, offers the best opportunities for stalking nice and close? Like, a hundred metres or less? Just thinking how someday I would love to take my old Rigby .275. It only has open sights. I am a confident shooter with open sights, but within reason (under 100 metres).

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I load up 100 rounds using a 210 grain slug and a gob of IMR 4895 and try to shoot a minimum of 25 rounds each time at the range.
That 210 grain slug makes a nice ring when it hits steel.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at my hunt journal and did a quick calculation. To my surprise, the average on 9 trophy and 1 cull plains game animal was only about 140 yards.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Like said above it depends where you go. The Kalahari cape, or free state in South Africa shots tend to be futher 100 to 400 yards...bushveld and lowveld close...most are under 100. I think lowveld and bushveld my futhest shot is around 150...need to practicing getting a shot off accurate and quick more than long range.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where will you be hunting? I have done a lot of Zimbabwe hunting and I would say 100 to 150 yards is the norm with some much closer.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
With one exception, all under 100 yards.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My farthest was a Coke's hartebeest in Masailand at about 300 yards. Only a few shots other than that have been beyond 100 and not much farther than that for most of them.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot the usual Masailand species -- Grant's and wildebeest at around 200 or so.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in the Okavango delta, with one exception, a red lechewe at about 200 yds, all were 100 yes or less.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
The average shot I had in two safaris (15 animals ?) in SA was about 150 yards, longest was 300 (bushbuck), closest was 55 yards at a gemsbok, that is a hell of a story. My suggestion is that you start shooting off of shooting sticks, it is a different experience.

Looking forward to your report and pictures!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
What would be the distance, approximate, for collecting the different antelopes?
Currently I'm practicing at 200 yards to 400 yards off hand and/or supported.

Jim

I would say over 90% of the African plains game I have shot were under 200 yards.

But, whatever you do, use any rest you can find. From a log, rock, shooting sticks or your PH's shoulders.

I found one of teh most important things to have for accurate shooting is a good, crisp, and light trigger pull.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big difference between Africa and most other hunting is timing. You will seldom have the luxury of time. Practice getting reasonably on target and getting the shot off quickly. You have only 5, 7, 10 days to get your desired trophies. Your PH will have you check your zero before hunting. Actually, he is checking you, your shooting skill and your gun handling. At this time, have him help you practice on the sticks. Just run through it half a dozen times.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the lay of the land where you may be hunting such as areas with a lot of scrub,thickets, etc. the distances will be a lot shorter as the game feels more comfortable and at ease with the offered cover and typical shots can be anything from 50 - 100 meters (assuming you can get a clear shot at that distance) as opposed to flat grassy plains or open woodland.
The less is the vegetation the longer the shot, which, depending on the natural behavior (level of skittishness) of the quarry (Roan, Oryx, Tommy, as quick examples that come to mind), shots at the target will more than likely be further (150/200 meters). Another determining factor on distance caused by skittishness will be related to the hunting activity the area has been subjected to prior to your arrival, whether it is a natural environment or a game farm.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
I found it tough on my one trip so far, to the Eastern Cape, seeing that most of my shooting here averages fifty yards. Admittedly, I was too excited, but also I think some tweaking beforehand to the trigger could've helped - that's my tip. I got one shot kills, but it was more by luck than design. Phew! A kudu at 220 metres, a blesbok at 175 metres and an impala at 80 metres. I take my hat off to you blokes who are confident at 300 metres plus! Phew! Anyway, I'm working on both me and my set-up for next time...

Where, in South Africa, offers the best opportunities for stalking nice and close? Like, a hundred metres or less? Just thinking how someday I would love to take my old Rigby .275. It only has open sights. I am a confident shooter with open sights, but within reason (under 100 metres).

If you want RSA, try someone who has places in the Limpopo area or what is called Bushveld.

Average there from 50 - 75 yards - 150 if you happen to be on a road or all the clearings align.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing will beat practice.

Make it twice as hard as the real thing then the trip will seam easy.

stick, sticks and more sticks.
After 50 odd game animals 90% would be under 100mtrs in the bush velt.

Practice I mean min 750 rounds. Rim fire and centre fire.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Mark

I load up a 100 rounds for each month, when the weather isn't freezing.
I'm waiting to see what the current year brings economically. It's looking optimistic, so I'm a year or so out.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Very few hunters are confident beyond 200 yards. Depending on where you will be hunting and what caliber you will be hunting with your average shot should be 200 yards at the upper end. Beyond 200 yards it is difficult to see a broken horn tip, if that is important to you.

Spend much time practicing working the bolt immediately after the shot was taken. Sometimes a quick second shot is needed.

In 15 years I have only had one hunter who said: let's move back, this is too close. So he shot a walking red hartebeest at a ranged 416 yards.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote