THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A PH Bringing a Rifle to the United States

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A PH Bringing a Rifle to the United States
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me what regulations apply to an African national (Zimbabwean)who wants to bring his safari rifle to the U.S. for service? I told him I would help him get the rifle here for some maintenance and repairs. Thanks to all in advance. MMP

posted Hide Post
From the ATF web site:
quote:
(Q2): What type of form do I, as a nonimmigrant alien, need to file with ATF to temporarily import a firearm or ammunition for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes?
(A2): You need to file ATF Form 6 NIA (Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War by Nonimmigrant Aliens). The Form is both the application and, once approved, the permit you present to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when you enter the United States. The Form 6 NIA can be obtained by calling ATF’s Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch or ATF’s Distribution Center. It also can be downloaded from ATF’s Web site at www.ATF.gov.

Call the ATF and explain the situation; they should be able to tell you whether a) service falls under "sporting purposes", and b) the process can be completed by the time your friend arrives.

The problem, as I see it, will come if he leaves the States without the firearm, for example, if service isn't complete by his departure date.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should be moved to the appropriate forum, don't you think

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
This should be moved to the appropriate forum, don't you think

No, this is the right place and the right info that I (and several other African PH's) need

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Agreed - very relevant to African big game hunting. What's your PH going to do if he can't get his rifle repaired? Hunt with a broomstick?

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he will have an easier time bringing it for a hunt. Perhaps he should buy a hunting license for his destination state to facilitate his goal.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tounge in cheek guy's, (moving posts around) Wink

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS: Thanks again. Your information is right on point. MMP

posted Hide Post
You're welcome, mufasa.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Ganyana and others to navigate the ATF website try the following:
Use the site posted by GeorgeS above;
Once on the site click "FORMS" in the left collum;
Once in forms scroll down to 5300 "Firearms & Ammunition Program" click it and scroll down to 5330.3D(form 6NIA) Application and Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens
It looks like if you have a valid hunting license or have registered for a sporting event or show (SCI Reno) then proof of the registration etc needs to be sent with the form. If the firearm was purchased in the U.S. and has already been carried out of the U.S. then the form may not be necessary. [paragraph 5 general information] I'd have the form anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has any foreign national here actually bought a rifle to the USA since 2001?? VERY difficult to get an import permit.... unless you know someone, who knows someone..

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I think he will have an easier time bringing it for a hunt. Perhaps he should buy a hunting license for his destination state to facilitate his goal.

Yup.
I would plan a free, public land hunt, buy a non resident license for something cheap, and drop the rifle off to be serviced before the hunt.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

Yup.
I would plan a free, public land hunt, buy a non resident license for something cheap, and drop the rifle off to be serviced before the hunt.
Not that easy - need import permit...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I take it that no one who has read this post knows of anyone who has successfully walked into the USA with a gun in recent years???

anyone, anyone??

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt, looking forward to next year.
James

Since 9/11, I have not heard of anyone outside the US who has legally brought a rifle in. But I am sure there are those that have done it. From what I understand the process can take months or years and is unlikely to succed.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey James

I know an agent in New York state who claims the he has organised the successful import for some guys from the UK... but it sounded like he had contacts on the 'inside' who could organise it.

I found it quite amusing that hunters in the USA complain bitterly about the firearms laws in other countries and yet it is nearly impossible for us to bring a gun to the USA (despite what the regulations say).... Dont you think that's ironic???

Or does no one there give a toss that foreigners cant bring their guns to the USA easily???

When I point this out most people reply with "oh if you want to go hunting - I'll loan you a gun"...well that is very generous of you but that's NOT THE POINT!!! Roll Eyes

I have got US hunters a permit to bring their guns to Australia - rushed through in a little over a week. That is not because they were US citizens - that is because we try to accommodate foreign visitors!!

end rant....sorry...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I retired from the US federal government 3 years ago. From the late 1970s through present our federal government has been heavily staffed with anti-gun/anti-hunting people principally coming from our major cities (who are also badly anti-gun/anti-hunting) where wild game are only seen in zoos. Unfortunately the US State Department and AFT are two of the worst when it comes to harassing law abiding hunters and gun owners. If it is any consolation they dislike us as equally well as they dislike foreign gun-owners and hunters.

Unlike others on the forum I firmly believe that should the democrats take over all three branches of the US government on November 4th that it will only get worse for all. I don’t particularly care for John McCain but I’ve already voted to hopefully keep one-party power from taking over our government

Jim

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I don't think 99% of the gun owners in the US understand how difficult it is for foriegn hunters to bring their guns here to hunt with.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote