Find
Notify
Tools

2007 SCI show
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Am looking to attend my first one in 2007, any hints on how to get the most out of the show and maximise visiting with the vendors, primary interst is of course all the African safari companies.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bisonhunter,

Get there early, and plan to stay at the show for more than a day or two. You will also want to check the list of seminars, and go to the African subject talks.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything Jim said and wear comfy shoes...it is a long way up and down those many aisles. Drink plenty of water while doing it. Try to visit all that are of interest but don't stay forever and then go back and concentrate on the items / agents that are of real interest to you. You will have to sort through many to get to the one(s) you really are interested in. Can't be done (right) in just a day or two.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Bisonhunter

As HunterJim said, get there early. Leave late!I get in the day before the show opens, and leave tyhe day after. there's a lot to see and do. You have to catch a few seminars, there's a lot of very good people to chat with, and don't forget your AR meeting on Friday afternoon and AR dinner on Friday night!

If you can get a room at the Atlantis, it's right next to the convention center and a lot of fellow AR members are staying there, we'll have a great time!

Hope to meet you there!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a major show of custom gun builders at the same time. Would someone please post more details about the gun builders show. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a specific safari, or specific animals, figure out in advance which companies offer what you are after. SCI publishes a list of exhibitors well in advance. Select a few you absolutely want to speak to, and be there the minute the doors open. Things can get busy quick, and by the time you've gone through all your questions with the first one on your list, the others may be swarmed. So you may need to repeat this trick a few mornings. Of course with a bit of bad luck they partied to hard then night before and they won't be there at opening time. Check out the conference floor map beforehand, so you know where to look for the company of your choice. Though the isles are named and numbered, and the booths have numbers too, sometimes it's still easy to walk past what you are looking for.

See you there!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Get there early, and plan to stay at the show for more than a day or two. You will also want to check the list of seminars, and go to the African subject talks."

Above all, don't sign up for a safari the first day or two. If you'll pardon the plug, you also should plan on attending the "Your First African Safari" forum I've moderated for the past 16 years. Panelists are Craig Boddington on arms and ammo for Africa; plus Russ Broom representing outfiters; publisher Ludo Wurfbain; former taxidermist Jack Jonas; booking agent Bev Wunderlich; and wildlife shipping expert Carol Rutkowski. It's the longest running and most popular of the convention's seminars. We hold it on Thursday mornings from 10 to noon.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never gone the full four days. Partly because, on my first trip out, time was a factor, but afterwards because I realized that four days was too many for me.

My wife and I fly in on Thursday, hit the convention on Friday and Saturday (there's a special two day rate), and fly out as early Sunday morning as we can.

Think about what you want to accomplish. Do you want to book a safari or buy a fine rifle or shotgun, etc.?

IMHO, that's really where the convention comes into its own. You can meet the people, get the latest data, ask the relevant questions man-to-man, see and handle the rifles, shotguns, etc., and make a deal on the spot.

But you have to do your homework ahead of time and be prepared. Oh yeah, and bring your checkbook! Oh yeah, again, please try not to wear camouflage! Frowner

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Be sure to book your flights early -- I buy my tickets in November -- if you plan on leaving on Sunday. Reno is not a major destination, and the SCI convention is the town's largest. Airline seats sell out early.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2004 the Custom Gun Makers Guild show was at the Silver Legacy. Very impressive. If you're a skier, Tahoe is a short drive from Reno.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Please don't think you can see it all in one day. Plan for at least two full days and take advantage of the siminars...they are supported by the most talented people in the industries and best of all, it's all free. I still use info picked up a couple of years ago. It is the best Safari show on Earth!!!!
cheers

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
[quote]Please don't think you can see it all in one day. Plan for at least two full days and take advantage of the siminars.../quote]

I must be slow, it takes me all of 4 days to do the show, if you don't stop and smell the roses you'll miss the show!

I get my plane tickets at least 3 to 4 months in advance

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bisonhunter1

If you are seriously thinking about booking a safari do as you've been advised and do your research pre show. When you get to the show go and visit the people you are considering booking with. We'll be more than willing to take your deposit at the show but it might be advisable to lay your money down after the show once the excitement has died down.

If you don't have a plan before the show and you've never been to one of these events the whole thing can be quite intimidating and at the least confusing with every body promising you the moon.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not even consider going for less than 3 days!
Before you go, go to the SCI Reno Web site and print out all of the vedors. Mark the ones you definitely want to see and then stick to that until you've visited all of them. Then go see other vendors you'd like.
I found that 2 days was only a tease and I did not follow my own advise as far as sticking to my list. Then the two days were over before I could see some I should have seen before I left.
I'm telling you...SCI Reno beats all amusement parks for entertainment! Had a great time.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My first SCI Copnvention was in Las Vegas and I went for one day..... BIG mistake.

If possible plan on all 4 days and Stay at one of the sponsoring hotels. I stay at the Silver Legacy where they have displays, and also host the Custom Gun Makers Guild Show. I have noticed that many of the exhibitors also stay there.

I would also suggest you read and then read again what Mark Young posted. thumb

Have fun!

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting Trophy Queen
posted Hide Post
May I suggest that you consider attending the Dallas Safari Club show instead. One-the cost is only $15 to enter, Two-the same great PH's will be there selling hunts and 3-It takes place BEFORE the SCI show this year so you get prime shot at what you want.

Carolyn Rutkowski
Consultant, Hunting Trophy Division
Coppersmith Inc.
TheRutkowskis@aol.com

Posts: 53 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get to the registration desk before the opening, or better the afternoon before,obtain a site map and mark off all the stalls you want to visit. Then when you have done those you can wander around at reasonable leasure. 2-3 days should be fine if you first target what you want.
the Atlantis-accomodation, is just across the road. Very convenient.
For fine firearms/knives,Do visit the ACGG and knife show at the SilverLegacy up the road. buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner is good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do pre-register. You cn pick up your packet and be in the door in thre minutes. Otherwise, 1/2 hour is possible. PLUS, there is a pre-register discount until sometime about Dec. 1.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophy Queen;

This post is about the SCI Show and how best to see and attend it. It's a little tacky to try and come on here and highjack SCI in favor of the Dallas show!! If you like the Dallas show great. If you would like to debate the plus and minus factors of the two shows and organizations then start a thread on that subject. In my opinion the SCI show is heads above the Dallas event.

Back to the subject, try and spend at least three days at SCI, do some preplanning on who you want to contact. I usually try and walk the entire show on Wed. (each year it gets harder to do), make appointments for the following days with people I want to sit down with, and see them that way. The main thing is to have FUN, it's like no other show in the World, believe me. Good luck, maybe even some "getting in shape" wouldn't hurt. Later

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Hunting Trophy Queen:
May I suggest that you consider attending the Dallas Safari Club show instead. One-the cost is only $15 to enter, Two-the same great PH's will be there selling hunts and 3-It takes place BEFORE the SCI show this year so you get prime shot at what you want.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
well Ive looked at the Dallas Safari club site and while it also mihgt be well worth while attnding, I live live much much closer to the Reno site and even with the much much cheaper entry fee, I'm betting the cost to attend either would end about about the same by the time I figure the extended cost and airfares to attend Dallas vive being able to drive to the Reno show. Maybe some day I'll get to the other one too, but right now I'd rather do Reno I think.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote