New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chobe Bushbuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am I correct in my understanding the the Chobe is found in the Zambezi river basin, not in southeastern Zimbabwe? The Limpopo is found in southeastern Zim.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
D.O.J.

The Chobe starts in Northern Angola through the Kalahari before joining the Zambezi West of Victoria Falls. It forms the border between Botswana and Namibia for part of the Caprivi Strip.

Chobe bushbuck are found in Western and Northern Zimbabwe and also along the Zambezi from what I know.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the difference between a Chobe bushbuck and any other, but this is the one I shot on the banks of the Zambezi river in Northern Zim (Chewore)

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice thumb

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks different from my Limpopo Bushbuck, more spots and has stripes. The reason I am trying to get a handle on this is an outfitter with whom I am working on a plan for this fall is saying he has Chobe Bushbucks on his property in southern Zim near Beitbridge, this does not make sense to me. That is a beautiful Bushbuck I love the markings, much nicer than the Limpopo's markings.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
DOJ,

Your assumption is correct. Tim, that's a nice Chobe bushbuck!

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
DOJ

Not an expert but I would have thought the Beibridge area would have Limpopo bushbucks.

Tim

Nice chobe BB.

These have been posted before but this is my Limpopo Bushbuck

My understanding is the adult Limpopo has darker colouring when mature. The 'redder' ones are immature.

A chobe bushbuck from the Gwayi Valley in Zim.

This fellow has been full mounted but I haven't seen it yet!

This URL also has a Cape Bushbuck and a Limpopo Bushbuck.

"A brace of bushbucks"

Love them bushbucks!

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro, you can see the differences in the body markings, which are considerable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to brag on this animal. If you get the chance...shoot one like this! Big Grin He came from Chinhoyi.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Done John. I'd like to find one of those myself Cool

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

Here you will see a ( good clear picture ) of the Chobe Bushbuck taken @ our ranch located in the Southern Kafue National Park region, ZAMBIA ...

MY Picture Album

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
If you get the chance...shoot one like this! Big Grin

I'd love to, but Greeks aren't on the game licence. Smiler

Nice BB. He looks like a real killer with those tips.

DOJ

Yes the body markings are different and really makes a full body mount the way to go.

Is there a physical difference between the Cape and Limpopo varieties? Anybuddy who knows.

John H.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I took this Chobe bushbuck between the Zambezi Escarpment and Lake Kariba about a year ago.

They are a bunch of fun to hunt.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Reading the thread made me ring up the PH and check if we would be able tto hunt BB. Apparently we will be hunting the consession that borders onto where the new world record was shot last year...

I have no idea how I am going to last the 4months until I get out for the first time!!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PeterV
posted Hide Post
There is a significant concentration of Chobe Bushbuck in the Zambezi Delta, central Mozambique. I have hunted a number of them and seen some pretty awesome trophy specimens on a daily basis.

Follow this link to see some examples from this part of the world:

http://www.africanhuntersguild.com/pictures/bushbuck.htm#

Good luck with you Bushbuck plans

Peter V
www.africanhuntersguild.com
southern Africa

Posts: 90 | Location: southern Africa | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Kyler,

that's a nice Bushbuck! The markings are super! I've taken 3 limpopo, I posted I photo below, I tryed for a Chobe last year but no luck........

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I took a good Chobe in Moz. last fall. The concession was crawling w/ them. I'll see if I can get a pic up.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who don't know, in Kyler's photo, his left hand is covering the tag in the bushbuck's ear that reads

"Property of the Parkfield, CA Zoo"

jump

I think he also shot an elephant at the same zoo.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Can`t give more information about distribution. Just needed to congratulate you all with great bushbucks. My heart became soft from all theese beautiful animals.. Smiler
They`re on top of my wish-list (at least the one with economically do-able tasks)...

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the photos, I now have a very good idea what to look for with the Chobe and not take another Limpopo on the say so of PH.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Shumba,
Yeah, I took a bushbuck, elephant and you forgot the waterbuck.
That's the great thing about hunting in a zoo. You get to shoot right out of the golf cart!
The animals are PRE-scored and are woozy from the tranquilizer in their food... so they don't stray too far from the cart paths.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
O.K., if the Chobe is found in the Zambezi delta, what variety is in KZN? I thought the Limpopo was the Moz version and the KZN type was Chobe. Help?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge

The bushbuck in KZN are the Limpopo variety. I know that because I'm kind of a collector and I have the Masai, Chobe and Cape varieties and wanted the Limpopo or Southern quite badly this last year and failed to get it.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Chobe from Doma Zimbabwe.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Yep, that looks just like the one I shot. But which variety is found in Kwa-Zulu Natal? Same kind? That would be very disappointing . . .

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
He looks like a real killer with those tips.

Big Grin
Yup, he was king of the forest for sure. Amazing thing was, not 10 minutes after I got this one, my buddy shot one that also went RW.

Amazing.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
T

Excellent Bushbuck!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarge, the Limpopo are in Natal and southern Zim in the area of the Limpopo river. I think they are also the variety found in Moz. My first Bushbuck was taken in Natal near Pangola and the next year I got my Cape in the Gramstown area. I want a Chobe and the people I am hunting with say they have both Limpopo and Chobe in their areas around Beitbridge. I will also be hunting in the Omay but only have permit for Buffalo there but would love to hunt them there also.