THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Scientists restate Tsavo Lions' taste for human flesh

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scientists restate Tsavo Lions' taste for human flesh
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...ov02,0,3222846.story

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I've got to admit, the taxidermy done on the lions, while probably state of the art at the time--- leaves alot to be desired on the display in the meuseum. The Field Meseum is a good days visit in Chicago.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Paterson used the hides as rugs for quite some time. It was only after they were sold to the museum did they get mounted. The taxidermist didn't have much to work with and did a pretty good job considering.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.suntimes.com/news/m...seum-110209.article#

Click on Lions of Tsavo in the Photo Gallery box for more photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks, Kathi.

I wonder if these scientists can tell from my isotopes how many pieces of left over Halloween candy I ate? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a joke:
Two atoms are walking down the street and and one says to the other "I've lost an Electron!" The other replies "Are you sure" and the first says "Yes, I'm positive"
rotflmo

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Only 35 people? And they got the death sentence? A little harsh don't you think? Probation and community service would have been sufficient. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lions in the tsavo area still munch an average of 12 people a yr. Big Grin and so far this yr. the score for elephants is ELEPHANTS 3 somali cattle herders 0 jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Scientific" bullcrap based on armchair assumptions...

Kindly explain how the clever Dr. Iknowbetter can tell the difference between a lion who ate one full coolie, and one who ate a chunk of five or six different coolies???? What if the coolies were first cousins? or if they were skinny? or fat? or, or, or...

"I was not there, I did not see it happen, I've never checked how a lion eats a regular railroad worker, I don't know if they ate it all or if the hyenas got some, I don't know if these were the only man eaters in the area, BUT I'M GOING TO TELL YOU ALL..."

Send me one of the "scientists", and I'll organize some cute experiment with a couple of lions I'm acquainted with.

Please don't forget to tell him to check his isotopes before to come, make sure they're all there.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have myself called Native africans for "lionnacks"( I wish to withdraw that) when lions have killed and ate them...but in all reality it is a grusome thing to be torn apart, sliced, chewed on..and maybe not even killed to begin with. It is no wonder why the people back then..and now ofcouse really feared lions. I`LL take a fistfight with Mike Tyson anyday than tangle with a lion. Just imagine when laying there, and the lion craps your skull or face and just sqeeeeeze..and you can`t do a darn thing about it... CRYBABY

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote