Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go for Lechwe?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
All these pictures of huge lechwes on this forum has got me thinking about what I want to hunt in Africa. Anyway, I've topped the list with these three: Lechwe, Kudu, Zebra. Now can anyone tell me where I might go to find these species? The species of lechwe doesn't matter, I just would like to hunt a lechwe. I also would like to keep it resonably priced (I'd like to have money to get 'em mounted).
Thanks.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

None of the lechwe hunting where you find them in their natural habitat will be inexpensive. Eventhough they are exceedingly common in the areas that they do occur you will only find them in a few places in Zambia and Botswana. In both countries it will take a specialized safari to get them or they will be an add on to a more expensive safari. There are ranches in RSA and Zambia that have introduced herds that you can hunt on a short plains game safari.

There a varieties of lechwe in other places other than Zambia and Botwana but they are not huntable at this time.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Contact Clive Eaton in Botswana. Clive owns a big ranch outside of Ghanzie where you can do the kudu and zebra hunting. Bots has changed the game laws and made it MUCH more economical to do game farm hunts there. Costs will be in line with South Africa. Clive will arrange to do a short excursion to the Okavango for your Lechwe, on a Bird Safaris concession.

You'll get the best of both worlds - - a less expensive plains game hunt and the experience of the totally wild Okavango. Clive is a top-notch, experienced dangerous game PH - - it will be a vastly different experience than typical SA hunting.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
For the animals you mentioned, I would definitely consider Richard Holmes, mainly because he has taken some big lechwe. If you look at the last SCI book, he had 4 of the top 20 lechwe, and mine is the new #4, so his number increases. Here is a picture of Richard with my lechwe.

His web address is here: http://www.mulberrygrovesafaris.co.za/

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Forrest B,

Can you provide a link to a website. I can't find any contact info for him. I was under the impression that a hunting safari, no matter what type, was going to be expensive in Botswana.

Snake Lover,

That as an awsome lechwe. I like the non-typical curved horn. What caliber rifle did you use?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I like the non-typical look as well. I use an A-Bolt .338 shooting 230 Win FailSafe bullets on everything I hunt. I have others, I just don't shoot them, though this trip I am planning to use my 375 on some pigs if the drought didn't run them out.

We belly crawled over a quarter mile thru thorns and pricklies to get within range on him. He was laying on the other hillside, about 220 yards away, facing away from us, with some females bookending him. Richard was afraid the bullet would blow out through the neck, but after waiting for what seemed like an eternity for him to stand, I got impatient and finally shot him where he lay. The bullet traveled the length of his body, coming to rest just under the skin on the left from leg. It retained 229 grains.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken all three at different times with Scott of Africa. You can contact him through Jeff Sellers at 1 800 375 4868. I was very satisfied with the arrangements with Chappie Scott and all three of my animals were quite decent. You should be aware that the Cape Kudu is somewhat smaller than its peers in Namibia and a little further north. However, the hunt is just as exciting. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of first time hunters put together a list of species based on what appeals to them. Then they find out that the species are non-overlapping, in other words, you can't get there from here. For example, Roan and Gemsbok. Gemsbok are a desert species. Roan live in woodland savannah with water.

The other thing to keep in mind is the more exotic, the more expensive. Lechwe are pretty limited in their distribution. But for the same reasons, they cost a lot more than the similar-looking, widespread Impala to hunt! And to my mind, hunting Impala (the ultimate cat-and-mouse) is more fun. (Unless you like wading through croc-infested water up to your crotch. Ouch!)

Lechwe are a very specialized species that live in swamps. Okavango Delta in Botswana and Bangweulu Swamps in Zambia for example. Their hooves are adapted to running through mud and water. In this same ecosystem, you will find hippo, crocs, buffalo, elephant. Kudu and Zebra prefer terra firma.

My suggestion is to work from the other direction. Pick an area that you would like to hunt/can afford to hunt, and then find out what species are available there. I recommend Namibia or SA (Limpopo area) for plains game; Zim for dangerous game/Sable.

Of course, you can always find a fenced ranch that offers a collage of species. These by definition are introduced and are generally much more expensive than hunting the species in its native range. I can put you on a ranch in Namibia that can offer you Sable, Roan, and Lechwe, in a semi-desert terrain. Works for some, but to me that's like shooting animals in a zoo.

Regarding Botswana, yes, if you wish to hunt dangerous game in the Delta, you will pay til it hurts. The best (and very expensive) elephant hunting is done in Botswana. However, there is also some outstanding ranch hunting for desert plains game that is an absolute bargain and a real treat. For example, ten days/six species/luxury lodge/fine dining under the Southern Cross with fine Cape wines for circa $5000. The Kalahari is a very special place, and hunting with the San (Bushmen) trackers is a lesson in itself. To spice things up, this is one of the few places where you can hunt leopard without sitting in a blind at night over bait. Rather, hunting is done by tracking. Dogs are used at the end to bay the leopard, but they are called off before they all get killed (leopard ain't no cougar). This really pisses the leopard off, and when he sees your lily-white face (and it will be whiter than normal) peering at him, he will launch at you and you will have to shoot him at shoulder height.

Having said that, there are no lechwe in the Kalahari proper. Kudu, Zebra, Gemsbok, Eland, Springbuck, Impala, Duiker, Steenbok, Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Warthog yes. Lechwe no. But, if you must hunt Lechwe, a short side-trip to the Delta can be arranged and you will find them there.

In other words, for several reasons, and even if you decide you can't afford Lechwe, do consider going to Botswana. You will not regret it.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sevens,

None of the lechwe hunting where you find them in their natural habitat will be inexpensive. Eventhough they are exceedingly common in the areas that they do occur you will only find them in a few places in Zambia and Botswana. In both countries it will take a specialized safari to get them or they will be an add on to a more expensive safari There are ranches in RSA and Zambia that have introduced herds that you can hunt on a short plains game safari.

There are varieties of lechwe in other places other than Zambia and Botwana but they are not huntable at this time.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

The missing lechwe species you mention is the Nile or Mrs. Grey's Lechwe. We had plans to hunt this species in the Gambella region of extreme Western Ethiopia this past February. An outbreak of ethnic violence between the Anuks, Nuers, and highland Ethiopian (outsiders) caused this to be postponed until next February. You are correct, it isn't cheap. There are only 4 safaris per year. The area is only huntable mid Feb. thru mid May. There are 2 15 day safaris for Nile Lechwe ($3,500 lic.) White earred kob ($2,000 lic.), Nile bushbuck ($350 lic.), and Sudan bohor reedbuck ($350). and two 21 daya safaris that will include Nile Bauffalo on the list. We are full for the first 2 years and no extended bookings are being accepted....yet! I plan to be there myself when it all happens.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Thanks for the info. Is there an additional trophy fee as well as the license fee? Also what would daily rates etc. be like? I fully expected this to be spendy and to have limited bookings.

Are these lechwe presently importable into the US?

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

All three subspecies of "Kobus lechwe" (which includes the Red Lechwe, Kafue Flats lechwe, and black lechwe) are on CITES II Appendicies. They require an export permit from the exporting county. Just like all cats and primates.
"Kobus megaceros" which is the Nile lechwe is surprizingly not listed at all but even if it were CITES II, Ethiopia is a CITES signatory country so this would not be a problem. There are no trophy fees in Ethiopia. Only up front licenses like B.C. or Wyoming.
At this time 21 day safaris include Nile Buffalo and are $24,150 which includes VAT and Concession fees The 15 day plains game only safaris which too include the Nile lechwe, are $18,975. These are, of course, plus licenses and air charters.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Sevens, I've looked a bit and can't locate Clive's contact information. I'll look again at my office.

Clive Eaton's safari company is called Tholo Safaris, but it is not the same company as Tholo Safaris in South Africa.

You might send an email to Mark Kyriacou and ask for Clive's number and email. Mark's contact info is:

Mark Kyriacou's Big Game Safaris
Tel: 281-457-0278 - Fax: 281-457-6252
Email: mk.birdsaf@worldnet.att.net

FYI, if I ever do another Kalahari leopard hunt, Clive would be the guy I call.

Let us all know if you get Clive's info.
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I�ve been looking up lechwe as I also have an interest in hunting them. If you can find an economical way to do it in the Okavango then go for it! What I�ve heard it can be quite expensive. Lechwe hunting can be done in the RSA and to a lesser price. Try: http://tgsafari.co.za and ask Tino for an offer.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe,

This is just the way I feel about it and not meant to be a put down. If you are gonna hunt them in South Africa, then you might as well hunt them in Texas. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong but the Red Lechwe found on ranches in the Cape (or elsewhere?) in S.A. are transplanted, non-indigenous animals. It's not a lechwe hunt in lechwe territory and, for me, just wouldn't mean all of that much experience wise.

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a ranch hunt in Texas for Mrs. Grey's or Nile lechwe. I met them at SCI a year ago and they do have limited hunts available and they have to go by CITES rules even though it is a private herd.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I also used to be pretty strict on these matters (ie hunting animals where they belong etc) but I�ve come to realise that this attitude will put some severe restrictions on my hunting. Hunting an African animal in Africa -and as a fair chase hunt- is very exciting even if the game isn�t indigenous to the area. So far I haven�t shot anything that hasn�t "belonged" but if I want a lechwe I�ll probably be doing it in the RSA. A simple matter of dollars and cents. I don�t see your post as a put down -it�s your opinion and I respect that.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Rich, I'm with you. After hunting lechwe on the floodplains and seeing their graceful bounds through the water, I just can't fathom shooting one on a rocky hillside. If you don't get your feet wet hunting lechwe, then you might as well be hunting impala.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
They are beautiful animals. Here is one I photgraphed in the Moremi Reserve in the Okavango Delta.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with cewe, sure if you have several thousand dollars to spend on each individual species, but for those who want to HUNT a lechwe, Eastern Cape ranches do provide a good alternative....I believe they are also the last place in Africa to shoot a scimitar horned oryx.
Whatever your opinion is on hunting transplanted species, they are a good thing for hunting in general in providing a choice for less wealthy/adventurous hunters.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I know your hunts have not taken place yet but could you give us an idea of the hunting conditions? As I remember the accounts of old time hunts for the Nile lechwe it seemed that the walking in the swamp was quite treacherous. Do you know how it would compare to say the Bangweulu?

Thanks,

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I reviewed some of the aerial photos and there were some lechwe mixed in the kob. Litterally thousands of white eared kob. This was on the open plains but also close to the swamps. There are watercourses to cross as you get close to the swamps which wold preclude using a vehicle. We have some dug outs and a rubber boat but which ever method will be the most productive remains to be seen.This is a migratory situation and only doable between mid Feb. and Late APril into May.
Other conditions...very hot and very humid, lots of skeeters, and a long ways from anywhere else!

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boghossian,

I'm willing to concede to you and cewe. It's just that I started hunting Africa way back when and I''m spoiled! I do agree that if that's what someone wants to do...I'm glad that it's there for them. I had a good friend take a Red Lechwe in the Cape on a hunt I set up for him (not what I usually do). It's a beautiful mount and he's quite pleased with it.

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Sounds just lovely! Will definitely give you a call following next years adventure. I apprecite the info. on this unigue hunt.

THX

Mark

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm perfectly contempt to hunt lechwe on a ranch in RSA, but it must be a big ranch. Hunting them in Texas is just to expensive, a few days hunting and a large trophy fee. Does anyone have a Nile lechwe in their collection? I have a picture of one from a zoo in San Diego and I just about fell over when I saw his horns. The lechwe ranks as one of my favorite animals along with the nyala, but I thought I'd wait on the nyala and get him another time. I'll get a nyala when I have a bigger trophy room that I can stick a full body mount in.

Sevens

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
For the sure hell of it, I was looking at zambia to see what this swamp hunting is all about. Bad idea for me, I'm hooked. I like the old Africa hunting and wading through the swamp bare-footed with my rifle is my ultimate idea of fun. Anyone know of a place (doesn't have to be Zambia) that has swamp hunting for any animal, doesn't have to be lechwe just affordable.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post
FDR did it on the Nile, but I am not sure that's still an option.

You can hunt buffalo in the Zambezi Delta in Mozambique if you like swamps...and hairy hunting. Realistically, you will be using an amphibious vehicle to get around, you can't physically do it on foot all the time. Give me a holler if you are interested, I can put you in touch with the right guys.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Found it!

Clive Eaton's contact info in Botswana is as follows:
phone: (267) 6596-505
cell: (267) 7212-4000
email: tholo@mega.bw

Here's an idea of prices:
1X1 $350/Day
Observers $150/Day

Blesbuck $350
Eland $1,500
Gemsbuck $950
Hartebeast $850
Impala $250
Kudu $1,000
Springbok $350
Warthog $250
Wildebeast $500
Zebra $950
Birds $100/week

Gun Permits are $150 each

The above trophy fees are for the ranch. They are about half the price (or less in some cases) of the combined trophy and license fees for the same animal on government concessions. The combined fee for a Lechwe in the Okavango would be about $1,350.

Clive told me he on a 10-day hunt, he would arrange for a lechwe in the delta for 2 or 3 days at the same daily rate. You might consider adding a tsessebe in the delta (about $1,400) so you could spend more time there and cover more varied terrain.

I would definately do the ranch first and spend the last few nights in the delta. Otherwise any ranch would be a letdown. Nothing like lying in bed listening to the lions roar and herds of animals splashing across the floodplain.

A trip like this would ultimately cost more than going to South Africa, but there's little comparison in my mind. A trip like this will probably be the trip I'll do for my daughter's first safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
Dis FDR also hunt Africa? Teddy did the one year safari and wrote the book African Game Trails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
t

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would second forrest's reccommendation. My brother hunted extensively with Clive, both in the delta and the kalahari, and both of us have hunted with Mark Kyriacou and bird safaris. Clive and Mark work closely together so coordinating a hunt with both is easy, in fact I am doing just that for next year. If Clive is not available, Mark or Clive could set you up with Glen Munger who has guided me twice. Lechewe is abundant in the consessions that mark has in the Delta, and you will find kudu in both the delta and the kalahari.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing this "t". What's it stand for?