Tools

Bush security guard - PIC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who needs alarms and security with this guy guarding your house cheers

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Fascinating picture. What is the story behind it?

Any more pictures of it?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The picture was taken at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge by a friend of mine. This old guy practically lives in the gardens feeling protected from lions - a kind of symbiosis. You can actually walk quite close to him and he won't even bother with you. A mate of mine was staying there one day and as he entered his room, he went straight to the balcony and right underneath him stood this fellow. He walked silently out on to the balcony; the buff's ears twitched but he didn't look up and notice my mate was a few feet directly above him Eeker

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
What a great photo!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need a herd of a few thousand ( not docile) along our southern border and let them have at the wet backs!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Well he is a good security guard and he doesnt need much pay ,exept some grass and water and ca 10 buffalo heffers would be nice for him to have!!

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Only in Africa another reason to stay here. clap Nice buff as well.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
You can actually walk quite close to him and he won't even bother with you. Eeker

Famous last words:

"He's really quite tame. Go ahead, blow in his face!"

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Well, I must admit that he is one of the most discouraging security guard I have ever seen ... Cool

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
He reminds me more of Luca Braci than a cape buffalo though Big Grin

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mick,

That is probably one of the coolest pics I have ever seen...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Makes a pit bull look anemic.

Still, I don't like the prospect of him grazing around in my back yard!

Yikes!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've stayed on the crater rim a couple of times and this is not a new situation at all. Buff have been hanging around the lodges there since at least 15 years ago when I first went. Scared the daylights out of me the first time I went as my hut didn't have toilet facilities, it was early in the morning when I went to the restroom and quite a bit of fog around reduced visibiity to around 15 yards, and like an apparition I find a Cape Buffalo on the path between me and my rondevel. They just munch on the grass there though and pretty much ignore the tourists.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Could you imagine stumbling out of your tent on the first morning of a buff hunt and finding him in this state. Confused
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are private properties around Mt Meru, next to Arusha, bordering onto the National Park, where at any time you may find buffalo grazing in your lawn. The buffer zones around the park are predominantly Open areas thereby available to Resident/Citizen hunters. With an appropriate license one may hunt game, including buff in these areas. I have seen numerous mid 40 and even 50 inchers peacefully grazing 20 to 30 yards from me in these areas. To shoot or not to shoot? That must be one of the hardest decisions to make if you find one of these on your door step - in one way you feel blessed to have such a bull as a "pet" Big Grin