New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 40" Cow Buff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nice cow. They do grow quite wide spreads sometime. I've seen a couple in the mid 40'S.

I've had the opportunity to kill a couple of cow buffalo and hunting them is every bit as exciting as hunting bulls. I put 7 solids through a cow in Zim. The first one was a killing shot but not quite where it should have been. It was a running gun battle after that. If Sadie had not seen some small trees moving at one point we would have taken a close range charge in very thick cover. Nasty!

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
The #1 southern Cape Buffalo in Rowland/Ward is a cow, 64 inch outside spread! there's a few mre down the list, 53 1/4 inches, 51 inches. Odd thing is the two big ones were killed in the 1930's & 40's. There's a total of 7 cows in R&W, not one has been taken in the past 23 years.

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've heard of a few, just in the last few years.
Not all are entered into the record books.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
really, sad that they don't enter them. I don't know about others on this site but I enjoy reading the record book.

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari Press has pic's of several world record animals. Here's the 64" buff.

http://www.safaripress.com/page18.html

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is possible to make a skull mount with a cow buffalo? It seems that the skin extends far up the horn...
Unusual trophy though!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote