THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rifle Insurance From USA to SA, Zimbabwe & back home

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Insurance From USA to SA, Zimbabwe & back home
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there anyone who could please provide a reliable Insurance Company who will insure two rifles for the duration of a Safari to SA & Zimbabwe?

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just list them on your household insur

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunch is either a special rider or endorsement on your homeowners policy that would cover that sort of loss while on vacation or in transit, or a special travel policy that covers baggage insurance (including firearms). Perhaps something like this:

http://www.roamright.com/trave...s/baggage-insurance/

If you are a member of SCI or DSC they may have some sort of coverage for their members, or at least where to point you to get it.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yes SCI has an arrangement with a company. There is also one called Corvens.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've been told good things about Corvens.
I used Collectables until they doubled their prices.
Now I use Eastern Insurance. Very good prices.
SCI and NRA are 3-4x the price of the above and too many exclusions.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you belong to SCI you can get firearm insurance from a company called SIAI. I like them a lot and they are reasonable.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent them an e-mail, thanks for the help.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use SAIA. Haven't ever had a claim, but the premiums are not bad and getting it set up is pretty easy as well.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAIA is what I use as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+2 tu2

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I switched to Corvens a year or so ago.

$350 for 100K of coverage.

Worldwide

They also offer trophy insurance.

http://www.corevensguninsurance.com/

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just attach a rider on my household insure, and if I lose them on the trip...well I figure I just "sold" the gun, scope, and case for a very good price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if any of these insurance policies will cover your guns if they are confiscated when re entering the USA under the new set of rules out there? Might be something to look into and check with the insurance companies. Just wondering.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I think we have worked through the drama set upon us by our Dear Leader and have the form filled in properly. However you are absolutely correct in suggesting to ask the Insurance Company the magical question.

I do find it very frustrating to pay $75.00 to have someone fill out a bloody form which the Government should show you how to fill in properly. Or the DSC or the SCI or the NRA all of which seem to be extremely silent.

Photobucket

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My home owners policy firearms rider is only good inside the USA. I checked with them (Liberty Mutual) and was advised that coverage did not apply if my rifles were lost, damage, or stolen outside the United States.

My NRA membership entitles me to firearms insurance that does cover these issues for traveling sportsmen and the price is right.

I haven't had to use the NRA endorsed insurance so I can't comment on the outcome if a claim is filed.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I wonder if any of these insurance policies will cover your guns if they are confiscated when re entering the USA under the new set of rules out there? ...

You have to read the "exclusions" very carefully. However, "I bet you dollars to donuts" that there is no coverage "for a violation of law."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mad Mad Mad

Good luck collecting from NRA insurance....you will need it....and then you still won't collect.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the NRA insurance. Have you had experience with their insurance?

Photobucket