THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    3 amigos (Scimitar Horned Oryx, Dama Gazelle, and Addax)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 amigos (Scimitar Horned Oryx, Dama Gazelle, and Addax)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought some of you might be interested in this regarding these animals. Hunters come out ahead on this one.

‘Three Amigos’ Becomes Law; DSC Lauds Move for Rare Species

WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2014)—President Obama has signed into law the 2014 Omnibus Bill, which includes a Dallas Safari Club (DSC)-backed provision to ensure the future of three antelope species nearly extinct in their native countries but flourishing on ranches in Texas.

The “Three Amigos” provision, for which DSC has lobbied over the past several years, exempts U.S. populations of scimitar horned oryx, Dama gazelle and addax from Endangered Species Act protections. The exemptions clear the way for ranchers to maintain herds of these exotic game animals and to offer hunts without federal intervention. Hunting revenue incentivizes ranchers to ensure that populations will continue to thrive.

Author of the provision, Rep. John Carter (R-TX-31) stated, “This legislation gets big government out of the way so that ranchers can begin working to bring these rare antelope populations back to former levels. This has been a long time in coming – but we got it done.”

Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX-32) and Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA-42) were also key supporters in this effort. “I’m pleased that the House and Senate were able to reach an agreement that allows American sportsmen to continue their conservation of the ‘Three Amigos,’” said Sessions. “Despite the onerous and unnecessary federal regulations that have recently threatened the ongoing work to preserve the existence of these endangered antelope, this Omnibus Appropriations bill takes important steps to protect the ‘Three Amigos’ and preserve our rich sporting heritage.”

The antelope were exempt from the Endangered Species Act from 2005 until 2012 during which time populations experienced dramatic growth in the United States. However, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service was forced to remove the exemption due to legal action that prompted a cumbersome and lengthy permitting process all of which led to a dramatic decrease in populations. For example, Scimitar horned oryx numbers in Texas are now at nearly half of 2010 levels.

“We’re very grateful to Congressman John (Judge) Carter (TX-31) for offering, and Congressman Pete Sessions and Senator John Cornyn for insisting that the ‘Three Amigos’ legislation be a part of the Omnibus Bill. This common-sense conservation measure wouldn’t have happened without their dedicated leadership. Senator Cornyn played a big role behind the scenes in securing Senate support for this specific legislative fix,” said Ben Carter, DSC executive director. “I know that our DSC team and the EWA representatives in Washington, D.C. got this done,” he added.

Organizations partnering with the Dallas Safari Club helping this legislation become a reality include the Exotic Wildlife Association, Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation, National Rifle Association, Safari Club International and North American Deer Farmer’s Association. Special thanks to DSC’s Washington Representative Glenn LeMunyon, and Liz Williams and John Blount with EWA.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Great news!

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good news!

Right after these damned liberal fu#*tards caused the extermination of thousands of these once plentiful ( in Texas ) animals!!!!!

Damn the irony of this crap!!!!!!!!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suddenly have this overwhelming desire to hunt Addax.
Thank GOD for Texas!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Details: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2014 (2014 Omnibus Bill)

ANTELOPE RULE (Page 740)
SEC. 127. Before the end of the 60-day period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Interior shall reissue the final rule published on September 2, 2005 (70 Fed. Reg. 52310 et seq.) without regard 19 to any other provision of statute or regulation that applies to issuance of such rule.

:: :: ::

70 Fed. Reg. 52310: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), are amending the regulations promulgated under the Endangered Species Act (Act) (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.) to add new regulations to govern certain activities with U.S. captive-bred scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah), addax (Addax nasomaculatus), and dama gazelle (Gazella dama), which have been listed as endangered. For U.S. captive-bred live wildlife, including embryos and gametes, and sport-hunted trophies of these three species, this rule authorizes certain otherwise prohibited activities that enhance the propagation or survival of the species. International trade in specimens of these species will continue to be subject to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). We have also prepared a final Environmental Assessment with a Finding of No Significant Impact for this final rule under regulations implementing the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 NEPA).

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Who the hell came up with this government entity in the first place.
I guess it's like a bunch of kids playing in the sand.
I'm glad someone in Texas actually can think like an adult.
These things should be only dealt on state level and that is what's wrong with Feds. They stick their noses into things that are never their business in the first place

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way we can stop the USFW from caving into the scumbag antis and stopping their negative bias is through legislative actions. It's unbelievable how anti hunter the USFW has become towards hunters...the same people who carry the load to protect and enhance game populations are treated like potential criminals. The only way to stop them from interpreting laws as they seem fit is for our congressman to standup and make. It happen. You can not expect the judicial system to protect our rights when so many courts are stacked against us. Viva Texas!

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the bitch at HSUS that caused all the problems a few years ago

My ass in your face!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be pointed out that SCI has itself filed or been a party to at least half-a-dozen separate cases over the past decade in defense of the Texas game-ranchers who breed these three species.

DSC is nowhere to be found in any of these cases ... (correct me if I'm wrong on that but I don't think so).

It seems that DSC finally got on board late in the game, just in time to get their name in the press. I don't know exactly what "DSC-backed provision" means exactly; maybe they were working behind the scene, but it was SCI who fought the battle in court for years.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
wow
this is a great victory for hunting conservation.
It means they tried it, it failed and now they back to hunting as a form of conservation.
Great news, now lets apply that to Lions, Rhinos and Elephants.
regards

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
To all involved a job well done.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sweet! I will be returning to Texas this year for another Oryx. Aside from a beautiful trophy, the meat is light years ahead of venison!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that DSC finally got on board late in the game, just in time to get their name in the press. I don't know exactly what "DSC-backed provision" means exactly; maybe they were working behind the scene, but it was SCI who fought the battle in court for years.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Steve, DSC was there at the early stages of this fight - the fight over the permitting requirement for the Three Amigos. When the District Court ruled that permitting was required and that USFW was ordered to develop and implement a permitting process, DSC began working with the Exotic Wildlife Association and members of Congress. I was in Washington, DC in 2011 in my capacity as DSC President when Ben Carter and several DSC representatives and I met with Charlie Seale, ED of the EWA, and members of Congress. I was in Washington, DC later in 2011 when we met with Reps. John (Judge) Carter, Don Young (DSC member) and Pete Sessions (Life member of DSC and a key proponent of the measure) and others to discuss the very solution that we now have. I know of Glenn Lemunyon's incredible work on the issue. I was there when we met with Charlie, Congressman Sessions and others in Dallas in 2012 to discuss the issue and strategy. I know about the DSC sponsored workshop in Kerrville last year wherein EWA members and others met with USFW representatives. I have had numerous personal conversations with Congressman Sessions about the issue, and I know that others within DSC have had far greater involvement than I have had, including frequent discussions with Senator John Cornyn (Life member of DSC) and a key proponent of the measure. I was there 10 days ago when we met again with Charlie and several other representatives of the EWA in Dallas to discuss the status of our efforts and ongoing strategies.

Unlike you with regard to DSC, I do not question or denigrate SCI's contributions, but rather celebrate and appreciate them. I can't begin to understand why someone would use this opportunity to question DSC's role and motive. I am absolutely certain that anyone and everyone involved in the measure would disagree with your assessment, but don't take my word for it - call Charlie, Jeff Crane of the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Congressmen Sessions, Carter, or Young, or Senator Cornyn and ask them.

Regardless of credit, this is a wonderful outcome and I couldn't be happier for Charlie, the members of the EWA and every rancher who is effected by this new law.

Richard T. Cheatham

Posts: 72 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Richard.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charly (not Charlie) Seale.

Richard T. Cheatham

Posts: 72 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Well said, Richard.

Karl

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
... (correct me if I'm wrong on that but I don't think so).

Consider yourself corrected... Big Grin

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard T. Cheatham:
Actually, Steve, DSC was there at the early stages of this fight - the fight over the permitting requirement for the Three Amigos. When the District Court ruled that permitting was required and that USFW was ordered to develop and implement a permitting process, DSC began working with the Exotic Wildlife Association and members of Congress. I was in Washington, DC in 2011 in my capacity as DSC President when Ben Carter and several DSC representatives and I met with Charlie Seale, ED of the EWA, and members of Congress. I was in Washington, DC later in 2011 when we met with Reps. John (Judge) Carter, Don Young (DSC member) and Pete Sessions (Life member of DSC and a key proponent of the measure) and others to discuss the very solution that we now have. I know of Glenn Lemunyon's incredible work on the issue. I was there when we met with Charlie, Congressman Sessions and others in Dallas in 2012 to discuss the issue and strategy. I know about the DSC sponsored workshop in Kerrville last year wherein EWA members and others met with USFW representatives. I have had numerous personal conversations with Congressman Sessions about the issue, and I know that others within DSC have had far greater involvement than I have had, including frequent discussions with Senator John Cornyn (Life member of DSC) and a key proponent of the measure. I was there 10 days ago when we met again with Charlie and several other representatives of the EWA in Dallas to discuss the status of our efforts and ongoing strategies.

Unlike you with regard to DSC, I do not question or denigrate SCI's contributions, but rather celebrate and appreciate them. I can't begin to understand why someone would use this opportunity to question DSC's role and motive. I am absolutely certain that anyone and everyone involved in the measure would disagree with your assessment, but don't take my word for it - call Charlie, Jeff Crane of the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Congressmen Sessions, Carter, or Young, or Senator Cornyn and ask them.

Regardless of credit, this is a wonderful outcome and I couldn't be happier for Charlie, the members of the EWA and every rancher who is effected by this new law.

Hi Richard,

The most striking thing about this entire issue is that it was resolved (so far, anyway) by a 50-word inclusion in the 2014 Omnibus Bill after years of litigation and thousands of pages of court rulings going back to 2005 (which I labored to read through almost all of).

Anyway, when the DSC did get involved (in 2011 according to your notes), they apparently took a different tack by lobbying rather than litigating – which has proven to be much more successful than SCI’s years of effort. So - kudos to the Dallas Safari Club on this victory and apologies for diminishing their (and your) efforts.

Still SCI does deserve some credit for their efforts which no doubt influenced the USF&W Service to reverse course.

Best regards and keep up the good work.

Steve

PS: I expect FoA will challenge this latest development anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
... (correct me if I'm wrong on that but I don't think so).
Consider yourself corrected... Big Grin

Actually, Jorge, I wasn't wrong. Below is a partial list of the filings which SCI was party to. The DSC never got involved in any of the litigation (again, as far as I know). They worked behind the scene - though to much ggreater effect.

Court Rulings:

Friends of Animals, Plaintiff, v. Dirk Kempthorne, Secretary of the Interior, Defendant. (SCI – Intervenor) September 14, 2006, Decided

Rebecca Ann Cary, et al, Plaintiffs, v Dale Hall et al, Defendants, Safari Club International, et al, September 30, 2006, Decided

Friends of Animals et al., Appellees v. Kenneth Lee Salazar, Secretary of the Interior and Dale Hall, Director, Fish and Wildlife Service, originally in 06-2120, Appellees; Exotic Wildlife Association, Appellant Safari Club International Foundation and Safari Club International, Appellees. May 18, 2010, Filed (Various motions either dismissed, denied, granted or dismissed-as-moot - disposition not published)

Various Civil Actions: Safari Club International, the Exotic Wildlife Association, and ranch manager Terry Owen (et al.), all against the Department of the Interior (motions denied)

Safari Club International, Plaintiff, v. Sally Jewell, in her official capacity as Secretary of the United States Department of the Interior et al., Defendants. Exotic Wildlife Association, et al., Plaintiffs, v. US Department of the Interior, et al., Defendants (herein referred to as SCI v Jewell). August 9, 2013, Decided

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That is why I left the "I don't think so". Still and honestly, you could have worded it a bit more diplomatic...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
That is why I left the "I don't think so". Still and honestly, you could have worded it a bit more diplomatic...

No doubt.