Notify
Tools

Anticipation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Folks:
Lots of you know me from Dallas Safari Club conventions, the Double Rifle Shooter Society, falling down in some dive or perhaps just from my post here on A.R.

To both my friends and foes, I think I'm losing my mind and need professional help! Somebody come and help me through this crisis. Brind me single malt Scotch and fine cigars!

While I don't have a hint of the experience as some of the guys who post here (or a single P.H. who hunts for a living), I have been to Africa much, much to often to have a secure retirement (if such a thing still exists). Let's say that I've been on safari more times than fingers, but not quite fingers and toes and have spent enough to fund a few third world countries.

So, what's the deal? Shouldn't I be used to this?

I'm not sure why, and I'm not complaining a bit about it, but I'm about to piss my britches with joy with going again. Don't get me wrong. I've always been excited about an upcoming hunt, be it at the local deer lease, or the Selous, and every anticipation is different, but, damn, if the upcoming hunt has me dreaming when I should be working, checking out zip-off pants and safari shirts on the internet, deciding on loads, walking a few extral miles every morning, getting stuck with needles, packing way too early, e-mailing to my P.H. about baiting, to Afton House about SAPs and steaks on the braai and to old safari buds to brag "I'm going and you're not!".

Heck, I've been there more than most and way too many times to justify to my banker and my poor children who will inherit only a few used rifles... but, ladies and fellows, it just doesn't get old. And I thank God for that.

I'm about to pop and can't wait until August 26th when I get to trust my guns and stuff to TSA, get on the plane to ATL, sit in the Delta waiting area with some other pilgrims and size them up.... ride that damn airplane for 16 hours, hug Annelise at Afton, fly into Victoria Falls and see the best of the wonders for a day and a booze cruise and hang over the gorge and admire God's work... and then join Lou Hallamore for lunch and off to Deka for leopard, tuskless and buff. Then I get to go see Charl at Infinito and hunt some RSA PG animals. I'm pumped!

Somehow this ought to be getting old instead of just better and better.

Dadgummit. I don't want to wait. My house is on a marsh creek that's right on the Atlantic. I'm about ready to try to swim 8000 miles.

Somebody send me Valium.... No, just send Scotch.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Judge G,

If we were not separated by few hundred miles, I would bring over a bottle or two and join in your anticpation and excitement about your adventure to come.

Although our conversation was short today, it is always good to catch up with you...May your safaris to come and life be be filled with the richness of adventure, love, and the sharing of experiences you so freely give to all of us....
I hope you have a wonderful trip!

All my best,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that feeling all too well, Judge.. It's an afliction most on here deal with on an annual basis..

Best of luck on the hunt!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I did my first safari last year. I am supposed to be helping my wife save money for her 40th B-day trip to Europe, and all I can do is read and price my next safari.

Tania will get her trip. But I am constantly trying to get her to commit to another Africa trip.

Semper Fi and good hunting JudgeG!!!!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I feel your pain! Went in late May ... still suffering from PSD (Post Safari Depression). Beginning the "How in the heck do I get back" phase.

Anticipation is better than "not yet planned." Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Judge, the best hunting memories of my life were made at Deka. It truly is a wonderful place and I hope you have a bang up great safari.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
So much of it is about the anticipation. What a wonderful thing.

Have ANOTHER terrific safari and bring back lots of photos so we can live vicariously through you.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Ernest, I have no sympathy at all for your situation since you know darn well that you could have arranged to hunt from now until to the 26th as well. In fact, given the number of trips you take, why haven't you rented a place in RSA or Zim, instead of blowing all that money on airlines, money which could properly be used for 1) good books, 2) good wine, 3) more ammo? Besides, if you want to do any serious Armagnac testing, you'll have to stop in France and I don't think that's part of your itinerary.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I got back from Namibia on 18 June and am already planning my next trip. As far as the scotch goes, all I have is a bottle of 17 yr old Lagavulin and I wouldn't want to insult your sophisticated tastes with such a junior aged bottle.
WinkMax

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge...you're just a crazy old man! But you're a crazy old man living in a little boy's body (well, maybe not too young). On top of that, you've been dinkin' Scotch again.

I get the same way every couple of years or so. Here lately, it's taken me that long to save the money for each safari. I leave on the 31st of August for Tanzania and this will be my fifth safari and who knows, possibly my last.

Never stop dreaming..don't stop working up new loads..don't stop packing and repacking your kit (been working on mine for three months).

One of these days, we're all going on our "last" safari...for our own sanity let's hope it ain't this one! Make the next one the best one and keep on dreaming! I'm with ya' dude. thumb

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernest, I will be following you on the 28th (God the days drag) but to RSA rather than Zim. but those damn pygmy antelope just drag me back. That said my mind is also on next year and the planned trip to Zim and RSA with Frank and hopefully Joyce for Franks Buf etc and again back to RSA for another little guy Vaal Rehbok. I also found a PH that is hunting the Royal Antelope so that is now on the agenda.When will it all end, never I hope. I trust your retirement plan is a bit like mine, it comes when Digger closes the lid for the final time and I venture forth to the eternal Safari the good Lord willing.

Have a great hunt (I know you will) and see you in Dallas.

Cheers

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I went for my first and only trip this year. NOT! Unbelievable place that you have to see to believe. Regarding the excitement, we can all relate, and for the excitement of hunting on the local lease, that is great to hear as well. Most of us are wired very similar and continually lose sleep over the excitement of any hunt. Good luck to you, and make many memories... DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A few details about my forthcoming trip for those who have asked (as if anyone really gives a flip, but I just gotta do something about this anticipation and writing about it will keep me busy for a bit):

Kathi Klimes got me really great tickets out of Brunswick, GA. While Jacksonville FL is just an hour away, BQK has free parking, very little TSA hassle and I know the staff at the ticket counter if there's some little glitch. I'll fly out to Atlanta and have a couple of hours awaiting the evening flight to JNB.

I'll be met by the Afton Guest House folks, using their SAPS service because I have a split trip with two entries to RSA and I've had that confuse the police guys before. In fact, I got a note yesterday that the permit was all in order! A few bucks, well spent, to my way of thinking. I'll do the steak on the braai thing at AGH, spend one night and fly to Victoria Falls on the 28th about 11:00 a.m.

I'll be met by a representitive of Gorges Lodge which hangs over the Zambezi about 20 minutes from Victoria Falls. I've never seen the Lodge, except from down in the river while rafting, but my references say that everyone ought to stay there once, just for the views.

Included are all meals and two "activities". I'll do the booze cruise to get some sunset pictures and make my pilgrimage to the Falls the next morning. Afterward, Lou Hallamore will have lunch with me at the lodge and then off to Deka.

I understand that there are better places in Zimbabwe to kill a leopard or a tuskless, but HHK has given me a great deal and having the real "cat man" as P.H. ups the odds on the leopard, I'm certain... and as for the tuskless, that's just candy if it happens. My hunt will only be 10 days in stead of the usual 14, so Lou will be pre-baiting for me. I really enjoy the hanging of baits, etc. and hate to miss some of that, but I can't have everything, can I?

On the morning of the 9th of September, I fly back to Tambo and meet Charl for the AR raffle hunt that I won. I've never taken a gemsbok so that's first on my list there and I don't think one can have too many Zebra rugs. Of course, if I see a kudu close to 55", it may have a problem.

I assume that we'll be taping the RSA hunt and hope to have lots of copies to distribute after I get back.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I plan to use my Merkel 141(e) in 9.3x74, using factory Norma Vulcan 232 grain ammo. It has a Leupold 1.5-5x scope on Merkel's great QD mounts.

For the big guys, I'm taking a 1909 Mauser converted to a .458 Win Mag (that David Wampler and I have sold back and forth maybe 4 times Big Grin) but since he's had it, I've put NECG express sights on it. I'll use Hornady 500 grain DGS's and DSX softs if the situation arises. It has a 2.5x Leupold with Heavy Duplex on Warne QD mounts. In case something happens to the Merkel, I'm taking some old factory 350 grain round nose softs that should open up just fine on a leopard if needed.

As an aside, I was fortunate to meet Peter (who posts here) down in Jacksonville two weeks ago. We shot the .458 and got it all sighted in with the various loads. Peter is a good guy and we enjoyed some Italian food, some good whiskey and a cigar afterwards.

By now, I know how to pack light and don't really need two bags except for the fact that airline employees get funky about having ammo and guns in the same bag (or in my case, TuffPac). I'm allowed lots of weight so I'll cram in some presents for various folks that Lou will take back to Harare. I'll be taking fishing lures, some electronic games for kids, some pretty scarves for the ladies and I'll secure my rifles with wads of t-shirts for the staff.... and maybe a few pairs of childrens' shorts (boy, I've seen some ragged out britches on those kids in Zim).

I'm out the door to my lease to walk in the midday heat and will have my rifle over my shoulder in case I see an unlucky piggy. I hope to get five miles in and then to supper with my sweetie.

Considering that last year at this time I was in the hospital with a 40 pulse, blood oxygen saturation of only 83% and a knee that badly needed surgery (I walked with a cane), I'm a pretty darn lucky man. A pacemaker and a C-pap have solved the heart problem, my blood pressure was 130 over 80 this morning, my cholesterol levels are great with the good being high and the bad, low and my girlfriend causes guys at the grocery store to walk into displays when they twist around to check out her behind Roll Eyes.

But, darn, I want to get on that airplane. I want to hear the roar of the Falls and see, again, the most spectacular sunset in the world. I want to 'bout wet my pants when a cow elephant flaps her ears at me to shoo me away from her calf. I want to hear the thunder of hundreds of buffalo hooves, a hyena's giggle and the throaty moan of a lion claiming the night for himself. And, of course, I want a leopard "IN THE SALT", taken with the guy who wrote the book.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quit rubbing it in, you miserable old goat !!! It'll be almost a year before I get to go again; try living with that .........

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Good for you Judge! That's what keeps you young.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know your pain.

I am at the office working and all I can think of is my trip to the SAVE in early October.

Good luck.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

The best of luck and I know that you know how to enjoy the experience, so no worries there! Please say hello to Lou for me as it's been a couple of years since I last saw him. I will be hunting tuskless with his son George in November.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

Go well and take good care of MY rifle. I expect it to have some stories to tell on your return. Give my regards to Lou and say hello to Deka for me.

David

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - What's your schedule on the 28th as that's the day I am leaving. Details please.

Judge- have a great trip and come back with memories for yourself and pics and a report for all of us here on AR.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Ernest, I will be following you on the 28th (God the days drag) but to RSA rather than Zim. but those damn pygmy antelope just drag me back. That said my mind is also on next year and the planned trip to Zim and RSA with Frank and hopefully Joyce for Franks Buf etc and again back to RSA for another little guy Vaal Rehbok. I also found a PH that is hunting the Royal Antelope so that is now on the agenda.When will it all end, never I hope. I trust your retirement plan is a bit like mine, it comes when Digger closes the lid for the final time and I venture forth to the eternal Safari the good Lord willing.

Have a great hunt (I know you will) and see you in Dallas.

Cheers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ernest, I know exactly your feelings...This month, 14 days away I return to the Selous... Things ready almost guns shooting great and all extras are stacked and ready...
Have a great time and good luck with chui... Pick a rosette and make the shot...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well Ernest, you've forgotten your bud and his Princess down here. We wish you LUCK for this upcoming adventure! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernest, I think you're pretty mean teasing everyone like this Wink I feel the same way you do but I have to wait longer. I leave 9/9 for Mikumi, Ruaha, Katavi, Mahale and the Mara. Return 9/30. I haven't been as many times as you have (this is the 9th since 2002) but I think I'm just as excited now as I was on the first trip.

I hope you have a pleasant wait. Here are a couple of teasers for you. They are all from RSA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a nice trip,Judge. Take some video and pics to post.If you get a chance, say hello to Russ,Beverly and Jacques at HHK.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry I fly from Pittsburgh 4:14 and arr in Atlanta 6:00. Delta DL200 8:05 seat (sch) 37G.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Well Ernest, you've forgotten your bud and his Princess down here. We wish you LUCK for this upcoming adventure! jorge

I shall never forget ya'll. Want to get together before I go this trip?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sure! I have a "final" interview with a big Aerospace Company on Tuesday, but anytime. Also, let me know if you need a ride or P/U to the airport. I assume you fly out of Jax? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading JudgeG's posts. Its good to know there are others that have the hunting bug as bad as I do. Personally, not an hour passes that I do not think about hunting. JudgeG's words could have been my own.

Good luck with spots, buff, and tuskless.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
quit your whining!!
Are you not following the news??
Oboma is going to take of you in your old age so --I say spend every dime you got on as many safaris as you can book-then let the gov. take care of you!! pay your morgage, put gas in your tank, and pay for your room in a retirement center!! clap

seriously, I feel your pain, I too have the safari addiction-but I will be damned if I will let anyone cure me of it! rotflmo
I rather die a poor man with great memories than die with cash in the bank and NO memories hilbily

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:
Judge,
quit your whining!!
Are you not following the news??
Oboma is going to take care of you in your old age so --I say spend every dime you got on as many safaris as you can book-then let the gov. take care of you!! pay your morgage, put gas in your tank, and pay for your room in a retirement center!! clap

seriously, I feel your pain, I too have the safari addiction-but I will be damned if I will let anyone cure me of it! rotflmo
I rather die a poor man with great memories than die with cash in the bank and NO memories hilbily

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great safari and give us a update on your return. Safari is really a lot more than dead critters and tape measures isn't it?!
Your passion for it is so nice to see. Best of luck ,and send our best to Lou.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, I will trade you a bottle of decent sippin scotch,, single malt at the Dallas Safari Convention to look at your pictures and hear your stories. Until then I will have to stay green with envy and wait for your online updates. I think with each trip over it gets more like Christmas morning as a kid. The anticipation makes concentration on anything but the safari dang near impossible. God speed to ya,,,, drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Judge,only a couple of more weeks dancing
Best of luck to you,be safe and have fun.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the anticipation-- and the hunt. I had been looking forward to another Namibian plainsgame hunt next year, but economic circumstances have forced me to contact the outfitter and cancel. (The governor of Wisconsin decided that all state employees are being furloughed for 16 days over the next two years. What that means for folks like me who are on salary is we're docked three weeks' pay. Expensive hunting trips were really the first thing in the household budget to trim. If the darn kids would quit eating...) No financial penalty for me, but a huge disappointment.

Have a great hunt and feel a little pity for us poor a-holes who can't go!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the anticipation is gone, so will be the desire! Good luck!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. Looking forward to reading you hunt report. The planning of my first safari was almost as memorable as the hunt itself. Now I have Africa on the brain all day long. Going crazy now with no trip booked yet. Hopefully at the SCI show in Reno I can change that.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm not the only obsessive compulsive that spends 3 months packing and unpacking

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Well, it ain't anticipation anymore. I'm out the door for the airport and 20 days in Africa!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good shooting!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G, God's speed and safety to you and your companions on this trip. Wish you a great time and of course excellent hunting.

Tip a scotch for all of us sitting back awaiting your next excellent report from Safari.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip Judge! Looking forward to the stories when you get back.

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote