New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tag Safari Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried any of the Tag Safari boots or shoes? I've been looking at their hunting boot which is priced pretty cheap.

http://www.tagsafari.com/browse.aspx?pg=1&catid=100269

Andy

posted Hide Post
Andy,

I've not seen them in person, but I suspect that they will suffer from the same problems as a lot of "traditonal" safari boots seem to do and that is poor ankle support when the leather softens up through use..

If you really intend to hunt Africa in them, the last place I would economise is on my hunting boots..Select a decent boot that fits you well and then check the price!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete, I agree completely. I was thinking of them more for just everyday use here in Georgia for my nightly walks and just to knock around in. For the price I'm tempted to order a pair just to check them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a pair a few years ago and they are nice looking, inexpensive, but don't have the ankle or arch support I need. Not a bad casual hang out boot, but my feet don't feel good after just a mile or so. I wore a conventional light hiking boot instead in Namibia and it did fine. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
They are made by Courtney....same boot.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
They are made by Courtney....same boot.

Have you tried them? If so, how do they compare to the other boots by Courtney such as are retailed by Westley Richards?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Charles,
I bought a pair last year while in Zim. made from Jumbo hide. They cost me about $100. I wear them a lot but don't consider them a well made boot. Sole looks like a good year tire tread, and there is little cushion unless you add a innersole. I would not use them on a safari but I prefer Russell boots and some people hate them too! To each his own. I went to the factory and it was funny to see all the same shoes with different brand labels on them. Courtney, WR, TAG....all the same!

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Charles,
I bought a pair last year while in Zim. made from Jumbo hide. They cost me about $100. I wear them a lot but don't consider them a well made boot. Sole looks like a good year tire tread, and there is little cushion unless you add a innersole. I would not use them on a safari but I prefer Russell boots and some people hate them too! To each his own. I went to the factory and it was funny to see all the same shoes with different brand labels on them. Courtney, WR, TAG....all the same!

Thanks for the first-hand information. I was wondering if they would make a decent back-up pair of boots for a trip. They are cheap enough that I suppose I could buy a pair and see -- or I could just buy the Converse All Stars or New Balance shoes or...lots of different recommendations here.

I will probably opt for some Russells and then worry about the "runner-up" shoes.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a new pair of Russells fall apart on me in Zim 5 years ago. The stitching came apart.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I have not seen or purchsed their boots, but I did buy some Tag clothing. Absolutely the cheapest, crappiest stuff I have seen. One pair of pants fit, the other, in the same size, was 2 inches smaller in the waist, and the lengths of the pants were inconsistent when compared to exact sizes. They sent shirts that were 3 shades off from the "matching" pants, sent shirts that had their gigantic logo on them, which was not depicted in their online catalog, and the clothes were pressed with so much pressure that the cloth was shiny and all zippers, buttons, snaps etc left wear/rub shiny areas on the clothing. Absolute crap.

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Check the label and you will see they are made in Zimbabwe....did you expect them to match and fit properly! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of their boots a few years ago. Very little support, and they were huge for the size listed...easily two sizes wrong(that isn't that unusual or a negative, just an observation that might help before you buy!).
I think they were okay for what I paid for them, but I had to reglue the both soles (heals and toes, the arch area stayted put) and the laether softened up and strecthed out to the point that I tossed them....at least they were cheap!

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Roscoe- absolutely correct! Too bad their advertisement didn't read "we are selling cheapass Africa shit at US quality clothing prices". 40-50 bucks for a shirt for cryin out loud!

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote