Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite month to hunt in Namibia?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
What's your ideal month to book a hunt, and why?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The month I have the time.

Seasons are open all months except December and January (not a problem since I have plenty to hunt at home during those months, anyway.) Seasonal weather changes are not great in most of Namibia, but the summer is wetter and the forage more abundant, perhaps making animals a little less visible. Overall, May through August are probably the best hunting months, I would think.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
If you are considering leopard, find out when the warthogs and impala's give birth, then avoid those times.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I Like May the best, peak of Kudu rut and all the animals capes are in great condition.
This year I going in September because I want to Tiger fish.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
By my experience, confirmed by other hunters, from the mid of June to the mid of july is a very good period.
An Italian hunter with a 20 years of hunting in Namibia, told me that he goes always in that period, and he agreed with me that the best things are the absence of fly, mosquitoes, snakes and skorpions. Last year I saw only one mosquito and very few flies. Cold during the night, warm during the day, I spent a very good vacation.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting kudu, oryx, zebra and eland if things all work out. Sounds like the African autumn is a nice time to be there; what sort of temperature ranges? Am I correct in assuming that one needn't worry too much about malarial meds in central and southern Namibia?
And what about fishing? Is the tiger fish a freshwater species? I have heard of one outfitter who also offers saltwater fishing.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Anytime between mid May and the end of June and you will likely catch the kudu rut. One year I went in Sept and the kudu were much harder to come by. Also the temps were very high during mid-day as well. The impala are in season the same time as the kudu. And the temps are very pleasent and really little chance on rain in May-June.

The later in the season the more profitable hunting the water becomes though.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Tiger fishing is only available in the Caprivi region. Zambezi and Chobe rivers look to have the best fishing, With September and October being the prime time to fish. Shark fishing in the Swakopmund - Walvisbay area is very poplar. I was told October- April is the prime time. If you choose to do some fishing while in Namibia do our research! You will find a wide range in prices for the same trips. See if your outfitter will give you some advice and help you plan your fishing trip.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I'll be hunting kudu, oryx, zebra and eland if things all work out. Sounds like the African autumn is a nice time to be there; what sort of temperature ranges? Am I correct in assuming that one needn't worry too much about malarial meds in central and southern Namibia?
And what about fishing? Is the tiger fish a freshwater species? I have heard of one outfitter who also offers saltwater fishing.

I was there in the first half of June last year. It was cool in the mornings but by 8:00 AM you could be in shirt sleeves and shorts.

I am cautious by nature and took my malaria meds.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go into the Caprivi you should take the Malaria meds.I did not this year and got to take the cure instead of the preventative.Coulda been avoided.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I've hunted Namibia in July and in October. We were the last group to hunt with our outfitter when we hunted in October, and because of the abundance of game on their ranches they made us some "deals" on taking extra game.

I would say that I would prefer to hunt there in July because of the temperatures (it was over 100 degrees in midday in the Kalahari in October) but I would not even hesitate to hunt their anytime between May and October, just whatever worked out best for my schedule. Also airfare is typically cheaper in October than it is in July.

Good luck and have a great time.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone been to Namibia in April? I'm thinking of that month in 2008, because I'll be in Africa for other reasons.

I heard that this was the time of the Kudu rut?

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
April, might be a bit early for the kudu rut.

I hunted with Mike Kibble from mid May to early June this year and a few bulls were still not with cows then.

Great time to go in mid May though, not too hot in the middle of the day.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in April It was a nice time of year. The rainy season is just ending and it was very green. April is not the best time for Kudu . Lots of water is still available in the hills and the grass is high and green. Making it harder to see animals. If you hunt a good area you will have no problem. If you are going to be there in April go hunting you will have a great time. You can go to Accuratereloading.com click on the Hunting section and read my hunt report. Robert Johnson Namibia 05

Robert Johnson

one of us
posted Hide Post
ICUdoc

I guss you already read my report. I forgot you just got back !

Robert Johnson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert - yes, I'd read your report- its what prompted me to hunt with Dirk Rohrman a couple months ago (although I'd forgotten what time of year you had gone). Of course, I had a fantastic trip- and I can't wait to go back! Thanks again for that info.

By the sounds of things there will be more vegatation/grass and water there in April, so the hunt may be more difficult- but if it were easy everone would be doing it.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Hunt anytime from March to October, but June, July and August are comfortable although its pretty nippy in the early morning in June and July and even into August (gets down to freezing at night).

Very good surf casting for shark (bronzies sp?) and for eating fish like kabeljou (a cod, I believe) and even the legendary and delicious galyun (Afrikaans-speakers help me out) at Henties Bay north of Swakopmund where lots of lodges take guests at reasonable prices.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived there for 3 years and our favorite time was October because the Jakoranda trees are blooming and its before the rain so the water holes are few and game has to move more to get water. It gets hot in the Kalahari but wait until it gets hot eat lunch and take a nap... then go back out about 15:00 hours and hunt 'til dark. Man I miss Namibia.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote