Find
Notify
Tools

Lunch with Stuart Taylor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I had a very enjoyable supper and drinks with Stuart Taylor last Sunday evening at the Deck in Bulawayo. As some of you may know, he is back hunting after taking the Zim P.H. shooting test (and passing it higher than he did as an apprentice!).

Stuart does still have some limited range of motion in his left arm (mainly raising it above his head), but considering all the damage done, he is doing remarkably well. There is pain (but he's a tough bastard) and significant loss of feeling, but with a tee shirt and shorts on, just having supper, you'd not know that he had been wounded.

I'd have absolute confidence in him as my P.H. and will certainly consider using him if my brother, Lou Hallamore, isn't available for whatever reason.

I asked him if I might report this good news and he agreed.

He certainly didn't seem bitter about his fate, and even though he had an opportunity to vent if he wanted to about some, perhaps understandable perceptions as to money donated and attorney's fees, etc., he was the perfect gentleman and, in my humble opinion, just wanted to make the best of his unfortunate situation and take clients hunting. He's not mad at anyone and hopes that no one is angry at him.

Again, I'm sitting there at the picnic table feeling the burn from a few recently broken ribs and wincing when I was lifting a glass of drink... but I did drink... Big Grin ... and that rock-hard fellow never flinched a time during the two hours we were together when you know he has to hurt.

I think we can all rejoice in his continuing recovery.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Thanks for the update Judge. Hope you have a great safari!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My best to Stuart and hope he continues to recover.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earnest,
Can you re-fresh us as to what happened to Stuart and to yourself? Did your .404 kick too hard and rattled a few ribs?

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Earnest,
Can you re-fresh us as to what happened to Stuart and to yourself? Did your .404 kick too hard and rattled a few ribs?

No need to rehash everything, in my humble opinion, but succinctly, Stuart, a Zim P.H. while hunting in Mozambique, was accidentally shot in the left shoulder with a .458 Win Mag during the maelstrom of an unexpected buffalo charge.

As for me, on April 6th, after partaking too much butternut squash soup at the Victoria Falls Hotel, in the dark, I tripped on a loose cobblestone in front of the Kingdom Hotel when returning to the Ilala Hotel. At the conclusion of a double twisting, one-and-one-half summersault, I planted my right ribcage on the curb. Damn that hurt, and still does.

The guards at the Kingdom gave me a 9.9, a 9.9 and a 10.0. Not bad for an old fart.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THanks for the update.

Was it the Russian judge that deducted a tenth of a point for your landing?

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
North Koreans. They didn't like the fact that I found anything to eat... and unlike Dennis Rodman, I have no tattoos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it. I guess I won't be going to North Korea now... Rats!!

I wanted a new haircut like the guy that runs that runs that place....

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Judge, thanks very much for the update on Stu Taylor. Sorry about the ribs, I know from experience that it hurts for a good long time.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. We could all learn a lesson in persistence and attitude from folks like Stu Taylor and Ant Howland.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Earnest,

No need to rehash everything, in my humble opinion, but succinctly, Stuart, a Zim P.H. while hunting in Mozambique, was accidentally shot in the left shoulder with a .458 Win Mag during the maelstrom of an unexpected buffalo charge.

As for me, on April 6th, after partaking too much butternut squash soup at the Victoria Falls Hotel, in the dark, I tripped on a loose cobblestone in front of the Kingdom Hotel when returning to the Ilala Hotel. At the conclusion of a double twisting, one-and-one-half summersault, I planted my right ribcage on the curb. Damn that hurt, and still does.

The guards at the Kingdom gave me a 9.9, a 9.9 and a 10.0. Not bad for an old fart.

Ah, The "Butternut Squash Soup". In my younger days, I occasionally over indulged in that myself.

Get well and thanks for the update on Stu.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear you are both doing well! Attitude is everything!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Judge, thanks very much for the update on Stu Taylor. Sorry about the ribs, I know from experience that it hurts for a good long time.

Second that and I must be softer than the Judge as I was in hospital for three weeks.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've discovered that the ribs don't hurt much if you don't breathe.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've discovered that the ribs don't hurt much if you don't breath.

For cardiac arrest try sneezing.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great update Judge! tu2 May the Lord bless both you and Stu! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Great to hear you are both doing well! Attitude is everything!

Best regards, D. Nelson

100% correct on both...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:I've discovered that the ribs don't hurt much if you don't breathe.

I hope this happened at the end of your trip??!!

Also, try to only breath on the left side.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a very enjoyable supper and drinks with Stuart Taylor last Sunday evening at the Deck in Bulawayo. As some of you may know, he is back hunting after taking the Zim P.H. shooting test (and passing it higher than he did as an apprentice!).

Stuart does still have some limited range of motion in his left arm (mainly raising it above his head), but considering all the damage done, he is doing remarkably well. There is pain (but he's a tough bastard) and significant loss of feeling, but with a tee shirt and shorts on, just having supper, you'd not know that he had been wounded.

I'd have absolute confidence in him as my P.H. and will certainly consider using him if my brother, Lou Hallamore, isn't available for whatever reason.

I asked him if I might report this good news and he agreed.

He certainly didn't seem bitter about his fate, and even though he had an opportunity to vent if he wanted to about some, perhaps understandable perceptions as to money donated and attorney's fees, etc., he was the perfect gentleman and, in my humble opinion, just wanted to make the best of his unfortunate situation and take clients hunting. He's not mad at anyone and hopes that no one is angry at him.

Again, I'm sitting there at the picnic table feeling the burn from a few recently broken ribs and wincing when I was lifting a glass of drink... but I did drink... Big Grin ... and that rock-hard fellow never flinched a time during the two hours we were together when you know he has to hurt.

I think we can all rejoice in his continuing recovery.

I saw Stu at Paul Bennies office about this time last year in Bulawayo.

He said then he was getting back into the swing of things! Good to hear it is working out for him.

Stu exemplifies the "can do" "make a plan" spirit of most old school Rhodesians! tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Stu still hunting with Kambako?

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great news. Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote