Notify
Tools

What have I forgotten?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

There are 4 days to go until my first safari in RSA and thanks to all at AR and some experienced freinds I think I have it all sorted. You'd hope so by this point!!

I'm just putting a file together for my firearms permit, and this is whatI have:

Import permit application filled in but uinsigned
    Letter of invitation
    Letter of Motivation
    Passport
    Letter from police for temporary export
    Copy of PH Licence
    Firearms & Shotgun Certificates

Have I forgotten anything?

I have 100 rounds of .308Win. 50 for me and 50 for the PH's who are having trouble buying imported ammunition due to the new laws. We will buy shot shells locally. The PH has already arranged these.

Everything else is sorted I think.

All I need is for the Kudu to stand still long enough and me to do my bit...

Regards, (And thanks for all the information)
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Have you made a copy of your passport and airline ticket? I believe a copy of those must accompany the SAPS 520 Form.

What kind of shotgun are you bringing? Semi-auto shotguns require advance application.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry,

I haven't got a copy, as I thought they would see the originals, but I will make copies of both to be safe.

I'm taking my Browning 12-bore O/U shotgun to shoot a few doves guinneas and francolin.

Thanks,
FB

posted Hide Post
FB,

Are your rifles and optics covered for international travel on your house contents insurance or some other policy?

What are you carrying your ammuntion in?

Virgin want a locked hard case of some sort..I used a metal cash box and they were happy with that..

Other than that, just don't forget to have a good time!

BTW, I have your highseat locations all marked in my GPS, so I will keep them warm for you while you're away! Wink Wink

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
LoL!!

Wink

The high seats are all booby trapped in my absence!!!

I went to wiltshire at the w/e but didn't see a buck in 2 days. To sleepy after the rut.

The lockable case is a good point that I had forgotten. I'll have to see what I have at home.

Regards,
FB

posted Hide Post
FB,

Is the ammo the home loaded stuff or factory? Will it be in plastic MTM 20/50 round boxes or factory cardboard boxes?

You are going to need a fair size case to hold 100 rounds...Might be better to buy two smaller cash boxes (or similar) and split the ammo between different suitcases on the way out?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fallowbuck, Photocopy all and place in another place in carry on... Split ammo in two suitcases...So if one misplaced you have half your ammo...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A blankie and an air mattress? Extra tuffpak keys? Please forgive me I just couldn't resist. lol

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Retreever ! Also, didn't see you mention the Customs 4457 form.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramrod:
Ditto Retreever ! Also, didn't see you mention the Customs 4457 form.

He's going from the UK and so has his version rather than ours.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,

FB is flying out of the UK so a Customs 4457 form is not applicable...he is using a letter from police for temporary export as a substitute for the South African authorities..

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
FB

Shoot straight, take lost of pics and above all have a great time. I will be very interested in your hunt report. As I told Pete I like it that your guys from the UK are keeping up the safari tradition.

Good Hunting,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 pounds of coffee, I only took 1 pound and ran out on day #8 of a 10 day hunt! I had to drink Starbucks of all things, well better than nothing!!!LOL!!!Oh yeah, take a bunch of those little disposable cameras, they are great to stuff in a shirt pocket when on a long stalk. Good luck and have a safe hunt. Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Pete,

The ammo is the 168grain TSX handloads that RW sorted for me last week. I have 60 rounds. This is the nnew load with the different powder. He got it shooting to .75" at 100yds in a morning!!! I definately owe that man a drink!!

The rest of the ammo is 40 rounds of 165grain Barnes-X Sako factory loads. These are for the PH's whho are having trouble getting the ammo into the country with the new firearms law.

I have a hard caase thatr carries 125 shotgun shells with a combi lock on it. I'll use that providing that the case I have the 50 rouns in will fit in it!! I'm sure they will as it is smaller than a box of 12 gauge shells.

Regards,
FB