New
Find
Notify
Tools

P.S.D. - How long?
 Login/Join

<BWN300MAG>
posted
I was wondering how long (typically) does post-safari depression last? I have been back from Zim since the 29th of May and it seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. I really do love the USA and Green Country (where I live), but it seems like something is missing. Any ideas, suggestions, help!

Thanks,
Brian.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Addictive, isn't it Smiler Start plans and savings for your next trip, best cure I know of.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BWN300MAG:
seems like something is missing. Any ideas, suggestions, help!

You could always clandestinely plant some Kudu in Oklahoma. This would work until the wildlife department figures out your plan. Wink Short of this rather extreme option, I would start saving plane fare for another trip over.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
A year's preperation for another African Safari will take up a lot of time, and be the meds you need to cure your depression. After you have done the pre hunt ground work, then book, the next few months will be easy as you will have the hunt to look forward to! Wink

The only complete cure is to keep returning to Africa, nothing else works! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Brian, get to work and plan another safari, and when you have one booked, get to work on the rifles and gear you plan to take next time. Read all the books you can on Africa, hand out with us here at AR, etc. That's the only set of remedies that I can think of!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, you'll get over it and this too shall come to pass..usually takes about 50 Safaris or at least it has in my case, so there you have it, your problem saving booking agent to the rescue once again! Anything else I can do for you? beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian
There is NO cure for PSD.
You can however put it into slight remission by booking you next Safari.

Other "domestic" hunts also help some.
We need to do another DRSS Hunt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What Allen and 450#2 said. I'm already negotiating for my next one and I just got back. It's the ONLY cure. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went to Namibia three years ago and I'm still not over PSD!

I want to go back for leopard and buff . . .

sniff . . . whimper . . .

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Start paying for your taxidermy and shipping bill. That will give you depression of a different type.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems that there´s always a way -never thought I´d make it to Africa for a hunt and now I´ve been on three! The PSD becomes chronic but can be dulled by staring at pics, at trophies, at ...whatever.

Some people actually only go on one hunt and never want to go again!

Strange ain´t it?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you guys don't do this, but as a woman hunter, I actually CRY when I'm leaving camp. And, exactly as the other above have said, the depression doesn't stop until you book the next safari and start the excitement of prehunt planning. (Eeker Forgive me, but I call it hunting foreplay!!!)

I'm about 50 days from Mozambique!

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about the utter and profound sadness you feel after leaving Africa and returning to your real life, it should start tapering off by now.

If you are talking about the monkey you now have on your back, well, get used to it.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muletrain: What do you mean "real life"?

D. Nelson: What´s wrong with crying...or foreplay?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
'Methadone' Plan for PSD

by NitroX

Hello, my name is NitroX. I am addicted to safaris .....

Stroke your safari rifles. Work the actions.

Watch safari videos. Hold your rifle while you do. Sight at the animals and practice shooting them.

Look at your old trophies. Remember those safaris.

Get really angry when dealing with taxidermists, shippers, and other assorted con men fleecing you of you needed funds for your next safari when shipping trophies home from the last one.

Look and admire your new trophies, skins and bits and pieces when they arrive.

Stroke your firearms again.

Read up on prices etc of safaris on AR, the web, magazines, and imagine you could go on a late season hunt, or even the next year again.

Get addicted to AR and other hunting forums and irritate everyone else with your PSD. If your suffering so can they. Wink

Drink some red wine and get drunk. Smoke cigars and watch more safari videos.

Stroke your rifles again (when sober).

Kill something else big and mean closer to home.

Practice by killing lots of ferals with big calibre rifles. Imagine they are buffalo or elephants or even dik diks.

BOOK THE NEXT HUNT.

PLAN THE NEXT HUNT.

GO ON THE NEXT HUNT.

It all starts again.

Hello, my name is NitroX. I am addicted to safaris .....

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Brian, you are totally infected with that Africa bug...What a wonderful thing...

Mike
clap

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The bad news: There is no cure.

The symptoms may be treated and their severity lessened by putting down a non-refundable deposit on your next safari.

The symptoms will disappear when you next set foot in Africa.

The symptoms will recur and may only be treated by more of the above.

The good news: It's not fatal, and it's the best illness that money can buy. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Yep! your done! you are infected! and there's no cure except to start planning the next one!

When I talk about my safari to any myself or anybody, I get my stomach all knotted up, get sick to my stomach even!!!

It's a great sickness to have!!

Isn't it!!!!!!!!! Big Grin clap thumb Wink Smiler Big Grin

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I have been up and down with my mood swings. I finally got my video 99% completed and every time I watch it it is almost like being there. Most nights my dreams are about hunting in Africa. I never realized how much this would change my life. I wish I could hunt every year but I am going back in 3 or 4.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There is only one cure and that's flying SAA back and forth to RSA about three times on the frapping AirBus. But, dying would be cheaper and easier and accomplish the same thing. But then there is KLM... I'm trying that this time.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
YOU ARE WELCOME!!!
clap nut thumb bawling mgun

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Brian
There is NO cure for PSD.
You can however put it into slight remission by booking you next Safari.

"Remission", is about the best you can hope for.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BWN, where in Green Country do you live? I'm originally from Wister, but now live just north of Dallas. I have had PSD for 6 years now. Listen to the advice here, start looking at your pictures. I like to stroke my rifles too. Glen

Glen A. Vaughn

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas, Afghanistan and Iraq | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I'm forming a 12-step group for AHA (African Hunters Anonymous) in my area.
Step 1. We have admited we were powerless over African Hunting - that our gun collections had become unmanageable.Wink

With 77 days to go to TZ I've done all the stuff you guys said- even started planning next year's hunt in Namibia. The wife said send the deposit (she wants to go too!) Maybe I'll go get some more shots or sumthin'!
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least a year! We left a year ago this Friday. Only consolation is that my gemsbok mount arrived and I need to get it on the wall this week. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only cure is to get some hair off of the dog that bit you, so to speak!

I'm just back in and am already chasing that ole-dog as I'm writing this.

Jeff

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
There is only one cure and that's flying SAA back and forth to RSA about three times on the frapping AirBus. But, dying would be cheaper and easier and accomplish the same thing. But then there is KLM... I'm trying that this time.

As much as I hated it, I said after I arrived in ATL that I would IMMEDIATELY hop back on that cattle car and go back to JNB if I could have extended my hunt.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Gentlemen, thank you for the advice. Perry, thank you for the VICE!!! beer
I have already started planning the next "hop across the pond". Damn elephants - Tony, you were right, elephant hunting is very addictive!
I went to a small family reunion last weekend, it is amazing how many people are ignorant to the wonder and amazement that is Africa. I guess that unless you are in the company of others who have made the journey, there is just no good way to explain how it feels to be there or how much you miss it when you are gone. I have all but given up talking to anyone who has not been. Sad isn't it? seriously though, the last person who said to me, "I just do not know if I could shoot an elephant", got the response, "Then don't go F*&#ing elephant hunting!". Guess I need to work on my people skills. But damn why don't they understand!Thanks to all. Anybody need a gun-bearer for their upcoming safari? Wink