New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crocodile Skin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy just shot about a 12 1/2 foot croc in Zambia last month and now he doesn't know what to do with it. He thinks he wants to sell it if it has any value.

Anyone have any idea what a salted hide or one that has been tanned would be worth? I would think it is worth at least the $2K trophy fee.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I would think it would be a big mistake to sell it. Mine is on its way from Zim right now. I'm going to make a pair of boots for me and a hand bag for my wife. If he does a search on google, he'll find all sorts of companies that will make stuff for him with the skin. Wink

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CARLOSTHEJACKAL:
I would think it would be a big mistake to sell it. Mine is on its way from Zim right now. I'm going to make a pair of boots for me and a hand bag for my wife. If he does a search on google, he'll find all sorts of companies that will make stuff for him with the skin. Wink
\\

Any specifics on places from folks who have used such an ourtfit would be greatly appreciated. I've got some alligator wallets and a pocketbook in a closet myself, albeit still in uncut, tanned form...

TIA for any help.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Tell your confused pal to get it tanned for taxi. THEN make up his mind. He may change his mind and once he has a wallet its to late. It may become impossible to go shoot another someday, I have one full mounted and is one of my most cherished mounts.They are indeed $$ expensive to mount but to priceless to waste.
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
Andy,
Tell your confused pal to get it tanned for taxi. THEN make up his mind. He may change his mind and once he has a wallet its to late. It may become impossible to go shoot another someday, I have one full mounted and is one of my most cherished mounts.They are indeed $$ expensive to mount but to priceless to waste.
Steve

He needs convincing. How about posting pics of yours?

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to figure out the picture thing, I'll try tomm.
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I asked my PH last month about the prospect of using a croc hide for making useful items. He told me that the larger ones aren’t the size that you'd prefer to use for such things. He said they like to use the ones that are about 6-7 feet in length at a max. Aside from having shot one, I'm no croc expert, but I can certainly see how the belly of the smaller crocs could be preferable for making things.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
I need to figure out the picture thing, I'll try tomm.
Steve

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
I asked my PH last month about the prospect of using a croc hide for making useful items. He told me that the larger ones aren’t the size that you'd prefer to use for such things. He said they like to use the ones that are about 6-7 feet in length at a max. Aside from having shot one, I'm no croc expert, but I can certainly see how the belly of the smaller crocs could be preferable for making things.

That's what I was told too. Too many imperfections in larger, older ones. Good thing mine was only 7'. The hide is very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
usually the leather goods are made from 2 year old or so crocs that are about 4' long. mounting it over there isn't nearly as costly as it is here. when i dot mine it was 100 per foot. (that was 5 or 6 years ago). if not consider a wall hanger or rug. they are an impressive trophy

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote