Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Room in "Roadhouse" movie
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted
I have wondered for years about the trophy room basement in the movie Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze. It is chocked full of awesome mounts. Bongo, ibex, sheep, full mount giraffe, etc. I realize it very well could be just a bunch of animals brought into a set somewhere but it sure looks like a real trophy room. Does anyone know anything about it?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The same old line of crap ... the bad guy is a hunter or shooter or both.

Hollywood hates us all.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19326 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Hollywood hates us all.

Ain't that the truth!

God bless George Butler!

But with respect to the question, my guess is that it was a mock-up on a movie set and nothing more.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13440 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Hollywood hates us all.

Ain't that the truth!

God bless George Butler!

But with respect to the question, my guess is that it was a mock-up on a movie set and nothing more.

I agree with Will and MR, but I do wonder about the trophies. Where did they come from? I am sure that they were rented, as I doubt that to many prop houses have lifesized mounts of Polar bear and bongo. I wonder what the owner thought when he watched the movie and saw his full mount Polar bear being pushed over in the fight scene.

I have read about classic cars being rented to the studios and being trashed during filming. The owner then finds that the contract's fine print states that the studio is not liable for "wear and tear".
Mad

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was 12 when Roadhouse came out. And the only scene I remember wasn’t in the trophy room. Wink

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a taxidermist in Burbank that rents out mounts to the TV and Movie industry. The owners are memebers of the San Fernando SCI chapter. I don't remember their first names, but it is Bischoff's Taxidermy in Burbank, Ca.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I read somewhere it was Elgen Gates collection, but would not swear to it.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is (was) a real trophy room. I have visited it a few times and the movie doesn't begin to do justice to the collection. It belonged to a Bruno Scherer (sp?) and was located within sight of the Getty Museum in Los Angeles. Unfortunately the home was sold several years ago. I dont know what happened to the trophies.

Posts: 64 | Location: SoCal USA | Registered: 16 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
You are correct, it was the trophy room of Bruno Scherrer. Scherrer made all of his money in the car wash business. He got busted by the feds for importing endangered species and lost his shot at the Weatherby award. Seems the feds had a problem with the two snow leopards and the jaguar among other questionable things in his trophy room. Check out this LA Times article.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Interesting read. I would have loved to have seen the room before the downfall.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
He acquired most of his trophies in a fairly short time frame. Dude must have hunted 24-7-365. I'll bet his passport was as thick as a small towns phone book.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes. Thanks for posting that article. What a disgraceful scam - get a "museum" director to sponsor you as a "curator" so that you can shoot endangered species.

Then get a crooked appraiser to over value your taxidermy donations to the museum so that you can take huge tax deductions.

Guys like Scherrer really do give a black eye to hunters and hunting. He was a hunter who really was a bad guy - and he got off light if you ask me!

As an aside, the Scherrer and related cases resulted in more stringent IRS regulations governing the taking of tax deductions for charitable donations of taxidermy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13440 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Boo hoo. The feds lost some tax revenue! It's outrageous. Outrageous I say! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19326 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typical of the LA times. I wonder how small the office was that a black bear would cover a whole wall. Other things have changed since that time i e the top tax bracket has droped considerably from 50%+ to 35%. What about the hunter that mounts his trophies and uses them for decorations in his or her office or say their resturant. I am not saying things were done correctly in this instance but the article in the paper was sooo slanted against hunting. Also the federal government must have been asleep at the wheel for a long time. Look at the hoops one must jump thru for say a Leopard which is not at all endangered, hell you can find one in your back yard in Joberg.

This is alot like the horary degrees universities bestow on a large donor that maybe didn't even finish grade school but he was able to amass a fortune and likes the universities football or basketball team.

Just think what the movie would have been if it wasn't for the trophy room. You wouldn't have had the best line in the movie "A bear fell on me." dancing

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote