Find
Notify
Tools

My trophy shipment has arrived.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted
Coppersmith just called to say my trophies just cleared. My taxidermist is picking them up tomorrow. I was told to expect 9 to 12 months before my trophies would hit the states, but it's only been 7 months since my hunt with Vaughan Fulton.

I know from time to time, some of you ask what to expect in trophy shipment charges. Since it would have been helpful to me in the past, I thought I would list my charges. I had the cape and back skin from 1 mountain zebra; capes, skull and horns from 2 springbuck plus one back skin; cape, skull and horns from 1 gemsbuck; cape skull and horns from 1 kudu; and skins from 2 ground squirrels.

Number of pieces: 1

Weight: 56 kg.

Air freight - Windhoek-Atlanta: $714.00

Coppersmith charges: $454.02

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Christmas in July!!!!

"If you hunt to eat, or hunt for sport for something fine, something that will make you proud, and make you remember every single detail of the day you found him and shot him, that is good too." – Robert Chester Ruark

posted Hide Post
Yeah, those ground squirrel skins REALLY add to the weight and volume of the crate. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
What a coincidence! I just faxed the charge slip over to pay for mine. They'll be shipping them out to Jerry Huffaker. Apparently mine were ready Friday but someone (maybe me?) removed the invoice from the fax machine before I realized it was there. I just found out about it this morning.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Yeah, those ground squirrel skins REALLY add to the weight and volume of the crate. Big Grin

George

Tell me about it. And I thought the trophy fees for those things were a lot. Wink

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
Tell me about it. And I thought the trophy fees for those things were a lot. Wink

The thrill of hunting dangerous game doesn't come cheap. rotflmo

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting on my shipping bill to come in. On this last trip it took only 3 months wait before the trophies are shipped. Last trip a couple of years ago it took 8 months. Looks like they are finally speeding up over there.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, thanks for posting the information. I will be hunting with Vaughan in '07 and hope to bring back a similar load of hides and horns. Did you consider taxidermy there? I don't know yet which I'll do, though of course I have a lot of time to think about it (too much, really.)

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge400:

I shot a Cape buffalo in early May. My agent in NY ( Fauna & Flora) informed me just before Thanksgiving that the buff had arrived. You and I were fortunate - judging from the posts I read nowadays in AR. ( My buff cleared customs in 1993)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
Jorge, thanks for posting the information. I will be hunting with Vaughan in '07 and hope to bring back a similar load of hides and horns. Did you consider taxidermy there? I don't know yet which I'll do, though of course I have a lot of time to think about it (too much, really.)

Having the taxidermy done over there was not something I considered.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:

Having the taxidermy done over there was not something I considered.

I got prices from Life Form, who have been highly recommended, but by the time you factored in the higher cost to ship the mounts it was a financial wash (at least to my limited ability to crunch the numbers) so I elected to go with someone over here. There are non-economic factors as well, but the economics alone did not seem to justify it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We Band of Brothers! I just paid my bill from Coppersmith and my zebra, hartebeest, gemsbok, springbok and kudu are headed to Jerry Huffaker.
I hunted with Vaughan in May and feel great that it will be a few short months until I get my trophies from Jerry.
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky1:
We Band of Brothers! I just paid my bill from Coppersmith and my zebra, hartebeest, gemsbok, springbok and kudu are headed to Jerry Huffaker.
I hunted with Vaughan in May and feel great that it will be a few short months until I get my trophies from Jerry.
John

Does that mean you are in line ahead of me? Eeker Actually, I am prepared for a long wait as I imagine he has a backlog. And I still haven't figured out where the Zebra rug is going!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been having discussions about where my trophies will go. The only thing she was excited about was the zebra rug. We will be moving in late summer/early fall and I will have a whole room for my trophies. The wait will just give me more time to plan what I want to do with the room!
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote