Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone remember this lodge before the Mau Mau torched it in 1954

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hello cats

You are correct about the burn, it was rebuilt again in 1957 I believe ...

Not to be a smart alec BUT I think this might be is off topic / did you not read what Saeed said about this Africa Hunting Forum and off topic posts,

He does not want US to stray off the main road and get into NON AFRICA HUNTING subjects.

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well it's somewhat about African hunting, in 1953 my parents were traveling thru all of Africa with my older sister and myself as a small boy in tow. I remember walking the path into that great tree lodge then spending the night there watching all types of wonderful "African animals" under those big spotlights.
We Traveled from there to Narobi where my mother flew home with us kids while my father traveled and hunted other parts of Africa .
I well recall him reading me a letter sent from his friend saying the Mau Mau Experience was awfully deadly and among other things the Mau Mau had torched that great lodge in 1954. Cat

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
cats

It's not my ruling just wanted to politely point out to you that the forum owners are wanting to narrow down the information and try to be specifically about hunting.

Kenya to all intents and purposes is a SAFARI non hunting destination, although there is some move towards limited hunting.

Your story is very nice and interesting to me, and that lodge is wonderful from what I have heard. I personally am interested in ALL Africa information myself including non hunting but we must tread carefully so as not to circumvent the regulations or rules that are applicable

Just out of interest as well the wonderful Elepant Hills Hotel is Zimbabwe was also rebuilt in the 70's after terrorists rocketed the place from the Zambia side of the Zambezi river

Fairway at Elephant Hills golf cource

At the end of the day the moderators have the final say on whether to transfer and/or delete any thread, and so they should, no worries about that policy from me

take care and enjoy the memories and the wonderful day today

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lake Manyara(sp) has individual lodges that are built in the trees and they are really nice. The animals are all around you at nlght.