THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    458 Lott/Win - Am I missing something

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott/Win - Am I missing something
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
Take a look at this gun up for sale and read the discription carefully. http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6510874

It's a custom gun built on a Mauser action with a standard length magazine that is only capable of holding a 458 Win length cartridge, but the gun is chambered for a 458 Lott. You're supposed to put a Lott in the chamber and Winnies in the magazine. Am I missing something here? Sure seems like a strange set up for a custom gun to me. Over 2K for a hybrid. What do you guys think?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous concept. Don't know why they didn't open up the magazine or use an aftermarket or stick to Winnie.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Kind of like a Shelby Cobra with a Yugo engine, huh?

Here's what is almost guaranteed to happen:

You are in the safari car and you spot a bunch of buffalo cresting a nearby ridge... not excited, buy moving out. You leap from the vehicle and begin to pursue, dodging thorn bushes and at a half-trot. Unless you already have a Lott in the chamber while riding around (a no-no in my book), are you going to stop everything, carefully push down the Win. Mags already in the box and put a Lott up the tube... or are you just going to work the bolt and put in a "puny" Win. Mag? And which pocket has the Lotts and which the Win. Mags.. If you are like me, my fingers get pretty buttery when the s--t is ready to hit the fan. Simple is best.

All of the above, and if it can screw up, it will. I'd pass on the gun until the magazine was lengthened.. and could that be done without screwing up what looks like some fine wood? Who knows.. I'll just stick with something done right the first time.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Judge G - Don't worry, I wasn't thinking of buying that gun. I just thought the AR guys would get a kick out of reading about it. It's good for a few laughs. I agree with you completely plus one could have a real problem getting the Lott and Winnie ammo to shot to the same POI. I just can't figure out why anyone would build such a gun.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thing has been for sale forever, obviously. Someone should buy it and the .411-.416 Rigby wildcat for an ultimate dumbass DG combo. One rifle with two ammunition boxes one for the chamber, one for the magazine, combined with a wildcat with no bullets available to speak of and brass that costs $3 apiece. Sounds reasonable to me.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pronghorn antelope is engraved on the floorplate. Seems like a great choice for a DG rifle. Roll Eyes

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DRB
posted Hide Post
This rifle has been up for discussion before see
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/36210932/r/36210932#36210932

I doubt any serious offers would be accepted for this rifle in this porice range of USD 2K. thumbdown

Regards
Dave

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much gap as their is in the magazine one could just about put a magnum magazine in it as is! thumbdown

Lots of things wrong with that gun from the picture itself, who knows what it looks like up close and personal...metal seem Ok but unfinieshed apparantly, stock is disaster, may be that its a put together of parts...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote