Find
Notify
Tools

Are these guys any good
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted
A friend of my co-worker went and said, it was a top-notch place.
www.cambridgesafaris.com

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've know Ivan, who runs the place along with his wife, for some time. I've never really hunted Cambridge, but in 2004, for three days was a non-paying guest of partner/owner. There were 10 fellows staying at the ranch. In other words, I got to eat, drink and watch my friends shoot stuff. I had a ball watching the fellows hunt 'em up (all but one being on their first trip to Africa).

My observation:
Cambridge itself is not as big as many RSA "concessions", but it is right in the middle of dozens of larger ranches, all of which it seems that Cambridge has ready access. One morning you may hunt on Cambridge, and after lunch, travel 20 kilometers down the road and be on a 20,000 hectre place, so size isn't really a negative unless you mind a few minutes ride.

The "new" Cambridge is very, very comfortable and well maintained. The bar actually extends over the Limpopo and it is quite scenic. Food is excellent and Ivan and Patsy?, his wife, are very friendly and are good conversationalists. They have two beautiful daughters who might be in residence if you're lucky. They are the cat's meow... funny, attractive and bright.... about 19 and 21.

I have a friend who has taken about 15 animals at Cambridge and the surrounding ranches. He has 6 top 50 SCI trophies among them (a couple make top 20). That's pretty good for any operation.

I am considering taking my daughter there next year because I know it to be safe, clean and it will give her, as a first time hunter in Africa, a representitive bag, taken with nice folks. It is far from hunting in Tanzania or Zimbabwe, of course, but pretty darn good for first-timers.

Just MHO.

PWN, who posts here, used to be a "partner/owner" in the "old" Cambridge which had more property and which I've also visited. I think trading for the very improved lodge and other facilities, etc., was probably a good business decision, but dirt is dirt, and while bigger isn't always better... he may have another opinion just as valid as mine.

BTW, Ivan contracted cerebral malaria this year which "struck" while he was visiting in Montana. He lost 60 pounds and spent two weeks on a kidney machine and 10 days in an induced coma. He's recovered quite well now and doing fine, but we almost lost him.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second JudgeG's observations about Cambridge and Ivan. He and his wife Judy are great people and run a first class operation. I was an observer there at the same time JudgeG was there, after hunting in RSA and Zimababwe and had already shot all I could afford. But there was game galor, and they had some great Kudu, Gemsbock, Waterbuck etc etc. If you hunt with them, please give them my regards and good luck if you go.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote