Find
Notify
Tools

All that but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Birding and photography have always been equal hobbies to Guns in my life. Hunting was never really a big thing till I went to Africa. I made 8 wonderful safaris till both the money and the health ran out pretty much at the same time. So hunting is not even in the picture today. But Photography is as important as ever and while I no longer build guns my interest has not in any way diminished. I am a happy man at this stage in life.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Duck hunting in the winter, offshore fishing in the summer. We are just returning from an offshore red snapper fishing trip.

I also shoot NRA High Power rifle matches as often as possible.

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no Africa hunting veteran, but I loved my first trip and will be embarking on my 2nd next year.

Having said that, I love any type of hunting and living in Montana has allowed me to hunt lost of differnent species here, among them, deer, elk, antelope, sheep, goat, moose, black bears, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkeys and whatever else I'm missing.

I also like Alaska (brown bear and sheep hunts) and love to fish for walleye, pike, perch and trout through the ice or on the open water.

I love anything outdoors and love the variety that hunting different areas offer.

Do I think Africa is the holy grail? Not yet but I may after hunting buffalo and leopard next year.

Stay tuned.....

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
After hunting I like exotic cars, but, since my bank account can't stomach a Ferrari at the moment, I'm just left with hunting. Oh well, guns and exotic animals will have to suffice for now. Wink

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a whole lot that i love doing:
- taking my son out onto the farm and teaching him about the bush, nothing like watching a 2 year old realise why one whispers when you are close to animals and not scream at them - they generally stand around longer.
- hunting in all forms, bow, rifle, black powder. as long as i can walk and stalk i am happy
- love my fishing, rock n surf, deep sea, fly, bass, you name it
- love birding (the winged typed)
- love wingshooting
- nothing like going hiking in the Drakensberg
- i enjoy reloading and tinkering about in my garage
- archery
- flying, still enjoy it everytime
- i really enjoy reading

im also a bit of a nutter, i enjoy manual labour if that makes sense?

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a good smoke.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post

BUT NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO AFRICA.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
My profession is one, I love being a taxidermist.

Martial Arts Training

Hunting and Fishing in Alaska is just as fun as Africa to us.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add flying (not that I'm any good at it!) wildlife photography and birding to my list....

Oz,

How nice to see a good fish with full fins! tu2 - I take it that was a truly wild fish?

Aubs,

you're welcome to come and dig my garden & wash my Jeep any time mate! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, quail and pheasants over dogs and nut monkeys. Shooting the Schuetzen game, off-hand. Great practice.

Now for something completely different, composing. Working on Paradisium movement for a requiem.

And I join Aaron...eating.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess first love would be Faith, Family,Friends,, anything with my son hunting etc is great.
Shakari,, I took him to Argentina wing shooting,,,very easy to shoot over 1000 birds a day, eyedoc took his son, I think we shot over 45 cases/20 box cases of shells in 3 days,,,, not sure if Africa's wingshooting is at that level, I think one day I actually tried to improve my shooting and I had right at 1400 doves,, and a black and blue shoulder, check, arm, etc. Fun can turn into work.

Bowhunting my favorite hunting,, Africa number one due to the tremendous variety and opportunity of animals, bow for pigs here, simply because they are pests, plentiful, and you can hunt them 24/7 by any method and means.

Then fishing would be 3rd, as long as it swims, I will fish for it,,,,

4th would be travel, I like learning other cultures, their history, foods, etc

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Please dont laugh but I also enjoy (but I don't know much)gardens, trees and and that kind of stuff.. Roll Eyes

Flyfishing also is one of my favourite sports.

Thanks God I also enjoy my work (cattle genetics).

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I work insane long hours eleven months of the year for two reasons.

1. So I can spoil my wife; and,
2. So we can go to Africa every year.

That's the list. If time and money were unlimited, we would hunt it all, but having already hunted in NZ, Arg., Eng. Canada, several states, etc, I think Africa is first and everywhere else is a distant second.

Other than that, I enjoy farming for wildlife and doing habitat improvement projects on my farm. I spend many hours running tractors and dozers, setting fires, and planting trees trying to make my spot better for deer and turkeys.

I also like dove and quail shooting, sporting clays, and the occasional duck hunt.

Wildlife art and hunting books, yard work and gardening, oil paintings, and antique oriental rugs.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms (and BBQ).

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
All kinds of wingshooting & fishing plus classic cars & motorcycles..... and of course books! Smiler

What motorcycles? Do you have access to most of the same bikes that we do?

Even a couple of those black heavy push bikes with the massive tyres. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a lot of caribou hunting in the 90's--from Alaska to northeastern Canada. Lot's of fun and not very expensive.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Hunting, especially bushbuck in "valley bushveld" in the spekboom.
Rock and surf fishing.
Collecting and propergating aloes, succulents, indigenous SA trees, bulbs, and Bonsai.
Books and reading, Africana, hunting related, early African Explorers and military related subjects. My wife says that one day there will be an almighty crash and a cloud of dust when the floor boards give up and dump my library into the cellar. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As to my outdoor "blood sport" pursuits, I also love to bird hunt, mule deer hunt, elk hunt, antelope hunt and fly fish for steelhead. In addition, I am a very passionate fly fisherman for just about any game fish found on the planet, but love to fly fish small western streams, especially those that might contain beaver ponds, wild cuts and which are well away from the normal flow of traffic and fishermen. My one license plate cover on my F-350 reads: Fly Fishing and Hunting: What Else Is There?" Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I like to fish...Saltwater trout at the coast... Bluegill with my 3yr old at her papaws fishing pond.

If I could be doing anything else other than hunting Africa.. I'd be flying! I miss the Piper 235 and the bellanca citabria.. One of these days I will own another airplane.. I like the looks of the diamond Da-42 twin with Twin TAE Centurion 2.0 Turbo Diesel Engines. Man what a ride!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, I hear they're even more expensive than double rifles??? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote