New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do i do
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Besides the obvious of shooting alot, what do you do to prepare for a DG safari? This will be my first so any lessons learned would be appriciated. I am quite a ways out, but I like to be prepared well in advance. Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Not just shooting a lot but using sticks, getting the the first shot off quickly while still accurately.

Check with your PH and determine what the parameters are. Two or three legged sticks? Average and extreme shot distances (how thick is most of the country)?

Do time drills, e.g. three shots at close range in 5 to 8 seconds. Quick reloads, etc.

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rakman 1:

You should,of course, get in shape. You might ask- For what? Depending on the time of year and what DG you're after, you may or may not do a lot of walking. ( Walking in Africa really is rather pleasant. I mean you won't be scrambling up over a ridge or walking on stony ground - but you can do a lot of walking) Get accustomed to walking (if you're not already)

Shoot your rifle offhand in practice as much as possible. Be a "client" that the PH will really warm up to -because you took the trouble to be respectful of that DG you are going to hunt. Be ready to "set up"instantly. Practice what we would call "snap shots" if shooting at white tail deer. If you have already done it, you know the drill. Instant sight picture and almost instant squeeze off. I did it at my local range during the week and I assure you it gives you confidence in your rifle and in yourself. (Your actual, usual shot in the African bush may seem like slow motion - because you practiced and now have "time" to make the shot)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Rakman,
The souvenirs are very important. One often forget this side of a safari.
I recommand You learn how to take fine pictures.
Very important is how to position the shot game and to adapt the environs.
The Nyati book is giving some good advices. A look at the reports here on this forum can help a lot. Saeed is far above the average in this category. I can't quote some guys here, I fear to forget meritant others.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Study shot placement on the animals you plan on hunting.Practice follow up shots and reloading your gun.Make sure you have your footwear broke in.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Set up different shooting scenarios for yourself. Take a quick jog, then set up and fire two shots at a target. Many times when hunting you are tired and out of breath and then have to make a shot that counts. By getting your heart rate up, and then practicing shooting will help you out.

If you give us a little more information such as when, where and what type of rifle you are using, we can prob help you out a bit more.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the comments are good. I just want to emphacize getting the shot off quickly and most importantly getting in shape.

What Gerry said about the walking isn't necessarily true there can be plenty of rough, rocky or loose stone footing and some areas are plenty rugged; other areas are pretty flat with easy footing making for relatively easy going.

Make sure your rifle functions reliably and cycle all your ammo through the action at least once before you take it with you. If you use a scoped rifle, bring along a spare scope and mounts, preferably the same QD mounts and already sighted in.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rakman1,

The very first thing is to make a deposit on a hunt. Actually that is not a joke at all. Once the money is down the safari becomes real and you are motivated to really get after all the beneficial suggestions that the other posters have made.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I asked this elsewhere, but I guess I didn't -- where can I find photos of african game w. the vital areas indicated -- I'd really like some life size (of the vital areas, not the entire animal, obviously) targets of buffalo, elephant, rhino, hippo, etc.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Rakman1,

The advice of Mark Young is a “must do†to make your trip a reality. Then I second what Kyler Hamann said. I want to add a bit though.

Shooting well AND quickly comes only with practice. What I suggest that you do is to find out from your PH which type of shooting sticks he recommends for the terrain, get your own of that type. I personally prefer the three-legged type. Practice setting these up and getting onto target quickly. Your PH will be well practiced in quickly setting up the shooting sticks, but IMHO during the final phases of the stalk the hunter should carry the sticks himself and set up himself. Only if he cannot do this quickly would it be better if the PH does it. So work out a way in which you feel comfortable with the shooting sticks in one hand and your rifle in the other. Then stand and think what you should do to safely set yourself up. How are you going to handle the rifle and sticks at the same time? Then, only after deliberate thinking of what you need to do, do it SLOWLY and methodically. Did that work as you thought it should? If “Yesâ€, then do it again, but a bit faster, but consciously think of the safe direction of your rifle barrel all the time. If your slow and deliberate setting up of the sticks and your rifle did not work out quite the way you thought it would, plan again and do it again. Repeat until you have worked out how to carry both your rifle and the shooting sticks and then set up the sticks, get your rifle set up in the general direction of the target, disengage your rifle safety, take final aim and squeeze the trigger. For this you obviously do not need to be at a range where you actually fire a shot, you can do it with an unloaded rifle almost anywhere, even indoors on a carpet. Once you have worked out a way to set up and get to aim, practice doing it faster and faster. You don’t need to be Karate-Kid fast, just smooth and comfortable. Then comes the second phase of your practice.

The big fuss is often not on the first set-up, but when the animal moves behind a bush and you have to move your sticks a bit to get a proper sight picture. This does not always happen, but if you are after a really big browsing kudu, you can be very sure that Mr. Murphy is right behind you, ready to play his role in the proceedings! Set up and aim at Target 1, but do not squeeze off the shot. Then stimulate what would be required if your target had moved, and you need to re-position slightly. Go through the drill of getting from 100% ready to shoot to set up at a different place: (1) Safety ON. (2) Pick up rifle and sticks. (3) Move a few yards in any direction. (4) Set up sticks again. (5) Get rifle more or less lined up on a new Target 2 that is about 90 degrees to the left or right from Target 1. (6) Disengage safety. (7) Aim at Target 2. (8) Squeeze trigger. (9) Immediately “reload†rifle and get onto Target 2 again. Aim, and go back to step (1) before you squeeze the trigger, only this time step in an opposite direction and change from Target 2 back to Target 1.

All the initial practice can be with an unloaded rifle inside your own living room, if carpeted. Wherever you practice, be sure that you can go through the dry-fire drill safely before actually shooting at a range. You do not want to hear the horror stories of clients pushing loaded, safety OFF rifles, trigger finger in the guard into the ribs of a PH while quickly changing shooting sticks set-up. Please concentrate on safety first, then build up speed!

If you feel clumsy with the shooting sticks and rifle, get your significant other or hunting buddy to set up the sticks – as your PH would - and then you just get used to stepping up to the setup and aim fast.

Do most of your actual rifle firing practice from shooting sticks, only if you are comfortable with them. Some hunters never get comfortable with shooting sticks, and they are then also probably better off without them. It is however NOT something that you want to establish while aiming at a $ 2000 living trophy animal target in South Africa. Do your homework at home in the USA [or wherever] and come and enjoy the hunting here in South Africa.

Then get fit and follow the other good advice.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Mark's advice is the most important and the precursor to any other advice given.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I thought I asked this elsewhere, but I guess I didn't -- where can I find photos of african game w. the vital areas indicated -- I'd really like some life size (of the vital areas, not the entire animal, obviously) targets of buffalo, elephant, rhino, hippo, etc.

Kevin Robertsons book "The perfect shot" is a great book. They have it for NA and Africa. Pick it up, it will teach you a lot about animals, bone structure etc.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rakman1:
Besides the obvious of shooting alot, what do you do to prepare for a DG safari? This will be my first so any lessons learned would be appriciated. I am quite a ways out, but I like to be prepared well in advance. Thank you.

1. Lose weight. It is extremely difficult to find a person who could not stand to lose 10 or 15 pounds.

2. Get in shape. Cardio workouts 2x/day.

3. Practice shooting offhand rapid fire like you would at a fleeing animal.

4. Thoroughly test your rifle for reliability - at least 100 rounds of hunting ammo fed through the magazine and fired rapid fire from hunting positions.

5. Save extra money because you will shoot more animals than planned.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I like to try to schedule a trip before hand to kill a few dozen ferals with the rifle and load to be used on safari.

Hair, skin and fur beats paper any day.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pratice swating mosquitos and tetse flies

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote