New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effects of a .50 BMG on large game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know hunting with a .50 BMG is not practical due to the weight and size of the rifle. But just wondering how penetration would be? Would the bullet tumble due to the pointed construction? Im guessing the flat tipped .50 caliber hunting rifles would penetrate deeper.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We tried the soviet 12,7 and 14,5 AA Machine guns on an elephant cull- not as effective as well aimed semi auto fire from a 30-06 or draganov

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a corn feeder about 315 yds from the BBQ area of my ranch house. Quite fun to exercise dominion over the feral hogs with my Barrett M107 when they arrive to clean up the corn. For this, I shoot old MG ammo that is FMJ which just lasers thru the hog, no matter the size. Really lets the air out of them!
Never shot a deer with it, though.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that after about 8 inches the bullet begins to tumble.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
bullshit...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 total bullshit

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
+2 total bullshit

NOT pigshite?? Just askin considering your area of expertise. Roll Eyes stir

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
[Q jumping UOTE]Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
+2 total bullshit

NOT pigshite?? Just askin considering your area of expertise. Roll Eyes stir[/QUOTE]

yuck jumping yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a USMC artillery officer, and was running a .50 Cal qualification range once. We were shooting at pallets with the qualification targets stapled to them at 10 meters. When we cleaned up the range I found a copper jacket turned inside out on the ground right by the targets. I think it must have hit a nail basically at muzzle velocity and ruptured the jacket. Bullets do funny things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 4 years ago I shot a musk ox with a 50 BMG using FMJ, The ox just droped like a rock,and the exit wound was a 5 inch hole.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Steel who said it would start to tumble? Facts. Do not think any one from the USA would be allowed to take a BMG to Africa. That is military round.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I was witness to a 50 BMG shot at roughly a half mile into an old school bus. The round penetrated the side of the bus, the frame, the transmission, the frame and out the other side of the bus. I'd say penetration was adequate!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that 570 or 600 grains of any good .510 caliber bullet at 2,500 fps will put anything on four legs right down, fast and with authority.

I can get that from my .500 A-Square, and I would not want or need anything more.

A .50 BMG chambered rifle for hunting?

Not for me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read some article that I cant recall. I will have to look again that said after 8 inches in ballistic gel the bullet began to tumble. I was watching that gun smoke show and they made a carbon fiber barrel .50 BMG that weighed in a little under 20 lbs that he planned on hunting moose with.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
If you want to shoot 50BMG - sign up! - most of us who put 10k or 15k of 50 cal thru M2s and Barrets serving our country are happy to never see one again - especially if you have to clean them ! LOL!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only living thing I shot with my Barrett .50 was a rabid poodle that was harassing a friend's livestock. I hit a bone, and the animal pretty much became unglued at right around 1000 yards. I have no idea if the bullet "tumbled" or not, but it sure worked.

I also agree with Scott -to a point- its a PITA to clean it right, especially when using surplus APIT ammo. It also took me 30 minutes to get it up on the hill and set up to shoot. Too dang heavy for any good hunting purpose (but then I consider ultra long range hunting a stunt anyhow.) For punching paper and reactive targets at extreme range, its a lot of fun though.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't necessarily say it's too heavy for practical hunting use. There is a company called Anzio Ironworks that builds a "super lightweight" .50 BMG that comes in at only 13.5 lbs....

http://www.anzioironworks.com/light_50.htm

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds punishing.

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A donkey dies pretty quick with a 106 recoil-less spotter round.

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
13.5 pounds....no thanks. I had one built that came in just under 17 and it felt like someone socked me in the mouth when I shot it. Again, no thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never saw a video on it but did see some pictures of a Bison shot with one. Some guy set up a shooting bench 1K away from it. I guess it dumped that old farm raised bull but the pictures I saw didn't look much different from what most guys post for damage with other bullets with an A-Max.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I wouldn't necessarily say it's too heavy for practical hunting use. There is a company called Anzio Ironworks that builds a "super lightweight" .50 BMG that comes in at only 13.5 lbs....

That is pretty interesting for $4995 until you realize that the max velocity for a 700-grainer is only 2236 fps in that 17" barrel:
copypastie:
17" barrel - 2236 FPS (feet per second), accurate to approximately 1600 yards.

That can be beaten by a 10-12 pound 500 A2, 50 Peacekeeper, or 500 Mbogo with a 26" barrel.
I have penetrated 8 feet of bovine carcass with a .510/570-grain GSC FN at about 2400 fps MV from a 23" barrel, 50-yard impact.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:

That is pretty interesting for $4995 until you realize that the max velocity for a 700-grainer is only 2236 fps in that 17" barrel:
copypastie:
17" barrel - 2236 FPS (feet per second), accurate to approximately 1600 yards.

That can be beaten by a 10-12 pound 500 A2, 50 Peacekeeper, or 500 Mbogo with a 26" barrel.
I have penetrated 8 feet of bovine carcass with a .510/570-grain GSC FN at about 2400 fps MV from a 23" barrel, 50-yard impact.

Agree, but the recoil form an 11 lb 500 A2 is a tad stiffer with those loads. I'm buying a 50 Beowolf for the little piggies this weekend.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I was witness to a 50 BMG shot at roughly a half mile into an old school bus. The round penetrated the side of the bus, the frame, the transmission, the frame and out the other side of the bus. I'd say penetration was adequate!!!

My thought. I'm positive that there are some really nasty penetrating rounds in the millitary ammo house--- along with stuff that would be absolutely devestating on thin skinned game too!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote