New
Find
Notify
Tools

illuminated reticle for DG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on a custom CRF rifle, details of which I will come back later. The rifle will be used for DG, probably mostly buffalo (maybe ele in future) combined with PG. The calibre will be.416 Rigby. I have two different Swaro's Z6i on my other rifles and I like them very much. On the other hand on a typical classic Africa rifle the looks of the illuminated Swaro scope, is horrible. I could go with the non illuminated Swaro Z6 1-6x24, of course. my questions are: How neccessary is an illuminated reticle on a DG rifle for my needs and further: would I need a scope with an extended eye-relief(how much relief)on a .416 Rigby?
Thanks in anticipation for your input.
Regards,
Ron

Posts: 53 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: 02 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Having a Z6i EE 1-6x24 on a 450/400, I can tell you that the extended eye relief is a definite advantage over the standard Swaro.

As for the illuminated reticle, of course you can do without it. But since you already have a Z6i, try to fast-aim at a moving object with and without the illuminated reticle. I can't beat my Centre Dot when it's illuminated.

And for the scope's look, scopes are basically meant to be looked through, not looked at... Wink

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ron have a leupold with a German #4 config with red dot when needed... What I really want is a scope with bigger then 24mm tube end for more field of view... The red dot is so eye catching..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We recommend an illuminated reticle for cats where they can only be hunted in daylight. Otherwise I don't see that you need one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose a Z6i 1.7-10x42 for my 375 on the basis that it does everything. It has great light gathering for thick bush or poor light. I dont need to use the illuminated retical unless I need it, but for leopard or lion just on dark it is a must. The variable magnification means you can shoot PG at 300yds and still face that ele at ten yards. If everyone else's African experience is anything to go by you will go back and you will hunt the other dangerous game species that you didnt expect so just buy the one scope now that will do the lot. You definitely chose the right make and they are not cheap so avoid having to buy an illuminated version at a later date.
If I get chance I will post a picture of the damage to my Z6 when I fell on rocks in Zim in May of this year. It looks a complete mess, but the zero hadn't moved a fraction. Well worth the money . Dont worry about what it looks like on the rifle - the buff wont care. That extended eye relief is a good idea on the 416 because it means that you never again need to give it a second thought.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have a 1-6 Kahles on my 375 with ill reticle and like it a lot.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know, I have wondered about the same thing, esp. black buff in shadows with black crosshairs. Too date, all my dg has been with open sights, but can imagine using a scope in future.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For leopard and lion, yes, a very helpful feature which may make the difference between success and not. Nice to have but not a big advantage for all other DG.

If you just can't take the Z6 look with the illuminated reticle, take a look at the S&B, with three turrets. I'd get to love the Z6 myself.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
I chose a Z6i 1.7-10x42 for my 375 on the basis that it does everything. It has great light gathering for thick bush or poor light. I dont need to use the illuminated retical unless I need it, but for leopard or lion just on dark it is a must. The variable magnification means you can shoot PG at 300yds and still face that ele at ten yards. If everyone else's African experience is anything to go by you will go back and you will hunt the other dangerous game species that you didnt expect so just buy the one scope now that will do the lot. You definitely chose the right make and they are not cheap so avoid having to buy an illuminated version at a later date.
If I get chance I will post a picture of the damage to my Z6 when I fell on rocks in Zim in May of this year. It looks a complete mess, but the zero hadn't moved a fraction. Well worth the money . Dont worry about what it looks like on the rifle - the buff wont care. That extended eye relief is a good idea on the 416 because it means that you never again need to give it a second thought.

Would it be indelicate to ask the price? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have used the Leupold 1.5-5x with the 30mm tube and the illuminated circle/dot reticle on both my .416 and .458 for years now. I find them very good on cats and Buff and like them on Ele as well. They are especially valuable when hunting at first/last light and in the forest/jungle where shadows can be a serious issue. The reticle is very fast.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the buff but one I have shot with iron sights.

However the last buff I shot was with my 9,3x74R and its Swarovski 1.5to6X with the illuminated circle dot reticle.

I had the reticle turned on. I shot a black buff in a black hole in heavy canopy at last light, very quickly. If I had not had the illuminated reticle I might not have made the shot as I probably could not get my "aim" right quick enough.

On a 416 Rigby I would get the extended eye relief Swaro, with the illuminated reticle of your choice.

I would probably have a spare scope for it as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys for your input. It helped a lot. It confirms what I already assumed, namely to stay with the Swaro with illuminated reticle.I was advised not to go with the Swaro rail, but to have scope rings mounted. In this way, the scope can be mounted lower. Is this your experience too?
Ron

Posts: 53 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: 02 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge
Here in the Uk the price for the 1.7-10x42 with illuminated retical is currently £1450.00. For some reason the guys in the US seem to be able to buy things quite a bit cheaper.
Ron
Scope rings are definitely the way to go to get the scope as low aspossible.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, rolly, I think here in the states it goes for around 1,800 (PH). jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havent looked at the exchange rate for awhile but those two prices strike me as being pretty close after the conversion. I love lighted reticles. I find I can aquire and hold a target much faster and easier. I am no spring chicken anymore and I must admit that my declining eyesight plays a big role in that. It might not be an issue for a younger fellow but I tend to believe it would still be an advantage but probably not as marked.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote