New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra with a 338
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I plan on using my 338 RUM shooting the 225gr partition for Zebra. I'll us my 300 RUM for the wart hog and the impala shooting 200gr partition bullets. What do you think?

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either will work well.....no hassles, with good (i.e. heart/lung) bullet placement, anyhting form .270 up will take care of them, the .338 will give you added 'punch' and penetration from an angle if need be...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I prefer Swift A-Frames, but 225gr. (or better still, 250gr.) Partitions would be adequate. I recommend you stick to one bullet weight for all the animals.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my 338 RUM on my mountain zebra last year. 225gr X-bullet, it didn't run far, I made a vital hit and missed the shoulder. 300 win mag with 180 gr SST killed my friends animal, but with a very long followup. Very little blood trail and bullet disentigrated in animal(found pieces throughout internal organs). Dead is dead, but the 338 RUM is awesome with a good hit, and you can reach out there if need be.

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used my .338 Win. Mag. with 230 grain Failsafes on a Burchells. It was a heart shot and the zebra ran 60 yards and piled up.

I used my .30-06 on warthog and impala to good effect. My hunting partner used his 300 Weatherby Mag. for them without any problems of note (other than the fact he is to be generous a bad shot).

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have only used Barnes X bullets and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 225s in my .338 Win. Mag.

They are tough bullets that do the job fast and well.

The NP is a little softer. IMHO, in the RUM, you'd be better off with harder bullets, like the TBBCs, the Xs, the Failsafes or the A-Frames, rather than the NPs.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Took two zebra ith a 338 with 225 X bullets....After impact they could hardly even run...down in less then 40 yds.

The higher velocity of the rums you may be taking the NP to its failing stage at the high velocity...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Mike and I used .338 RUMs in B.C. last year on a bear hunt. We were both shooting 250 gr. A Frames. The rifles are incredibly accurate and devastating on game. Our guides were amazed as we dropped each bear in its tracks with the first shot. The .338 RUM, generating over 4500 ft.lbs. of energy is a real thumper. Recoil in my 700 BDL is every bit as punishing IMHO my .458 Lott RSM.

Those zebra won't have a chance. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I like the TBBC's and the Fail Safes. Took one Zebra with one shot from a 180 grain Fail Safe (.300 WSM), and another with one shot with a 180 grain TBBC (.300 WSM)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 4 Zebra (3 MT and 1 Burc) all with 338 WM 225 gr X's and only one did anything other than colapse on the spot and he went about 15 yds.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
No worrys Mate, anything from an accurate 308 Win with a 180 NP is pleanty for Zebra
, if you put the bullet in the boiler room!

Use what ever quality bullet you want, but there is nothing wrong with the Nosler Partition, even at over 3000 fps. That bullet is designed to expand rappidly for the front half, for hydrostatic shock, and the back end hold together for penatration. I've taken almost everything from warthog to Cape Buffalo, including zebra,and Eland, with Nosler Partitions in a 375 H&H, and a 300 Win mag as hot as I could safely load them, with even one failier. Just place your bullets properly, and have fun, and you'll come home with the trophies you want! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I've used both Nosler Partitions and TBBCs in my .375H&H on Zebra. Both were quartering away running shots. The results were the same - dead zebra within 40 yards.

I have no doubt the .338 Ultra will deliver equal or greater results.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've hunted PG, including Zebra, w/ my .338-06 & 210grNPs. I'm sure the RUM is up to it. I would suggest just using the 225grNP load though. You'll have less hassle in the field & @ RUM speeds, I feel better w/ a bit mor bullet weight. It isn't going to affect your point blank traj. much if at all. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dropped a Mountain Zebra in its tracks with a 180TSX from a 300 RUM at a lasered 346 yards in Namibia , with Mike Kibble , this year. Hard bullets are best for zebra.

I was going to build a 338 RUM, but in the end opted for the 338-378. If you are going to get belted, you might as well have the most horsepower. Big Grin I will be trying NorthFork 240's in this rifle on my next trip............

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338 Ultra with a premium bullet will work fine. I've shot several zebra and like anything else a hit in vitals will kill them easily. Although I never have yet just piled one up. I did shoot one with a 375 H&H at about 50 yards. I was using a 300 gr SAF and the bullet smashed the leg bone and destroyed the heart but the zebra still made it about 75 yards. That kind of gave me pause about using lighter calibers and bullets on Zebra.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote