THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    More Carp Crazy fishing pictures for second DVD

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Carp Crazy fishing pictures for second DVD
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
I'm back, Cool

Once again we were busy filming for another fishing dvd on Carp fishing and this time we were after some big ones the weather didn't play along at all very hot and then at the end of the trip our camp got blown away by a big eletrical storm.

Firstly we arrived in 40 degrees celcius plus heat with very high humidity. We had no cover from trees or any other natural structure. Thank God we brought along a Gazebo. Otherwise I would have been crisp. The water of the dam was so warm that most of the time the surface water showed 30 degrees celcius on the fish finder. Even at night homer

Then unfortunately I didn't have a big enough lens for my camera to show you some photos of very cheeky hippos. But anyway they were there and gave Derrick a very big scare. The water was deep at spots up to 40-50 foot and we were fishing in mostly 18-21 feet of water, taking the lines out with the cano. We found some very good spots at the other side of the water we were sitting and not seeign any signs of hippo in the last two days, didn't really worry too much about them even tough we knew that the dam had hippos. Derrick got stuck in something in the water with a big fish on the line. He decided to take the cano and see if he could loosen the line and net the fish. The line was out about 300 meters and about 30 meters from the edge on the other side.

With his back to the edge busy with his line suddenly there was a wave a snort and a guy shitting in his pants in the cano. A young adolecent hippo bull showed himself 10 meters away from Derrick showing his unhappiness with someone in his territory. Derrick was fishing with a braid leader which some of you would know is very strong and impossible to cut with teeth. Luckily the oar had to be fixed with a clamp and on it was a rusty screw with which Derrick was able to free his line. He was back on shore in no time shaking and grabbed a cigarette and then the other. The hippo in the meantime was laughing you could hear him. clap

In two days we saw no sign of any hippo and suddenly this young hippo bull aprearred. Luckily for Derrick he was busy with his line in 21 feet of water and I suppose that is the only reason why the hippo didn't reach him.

Anyway here are some photos to enjoy of the adventure. Who said that fishing isn't hazardous ??? BTW the biggest fish was 28 lbs and the second 26 lbs we were actually after 50 lbs monsters that we heard roam the waters but like I said the weather didn't play along.

Marcele with a 20 pounder

Derrick with a 28 pounder

Marcele with a 26 pounder

Derrcik witha 20 pounder

Marcele with a 17 pounder

This is what our camp looked like after the storm on Saturday the 20th January.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Frederik

Sorry to hear about the storm, but it seems like you guys had some great experience anyway. Hope you get some big ones next time.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Or next trip is booked already hopefully weather will play along. It will be in the Klaserie the Klaserie dam from the 18th February. The previous South African record was caught there at +-55 pounds I think.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you provide some information about your equipment and the bait you use to catch these monster carp. I live in Texas and would like to get some good carp action myself, looks like fun

Thanks,
Derek Cooper

God Bless Texas A&M

Posts: 482 | Location: E. TX | Registered: 07 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, if you were in Texas, they call those fish - "Bugle Mouth Bass" and would sell out in a hurry.

In Louisiana, they are called "supper".

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
357MAGAG

Good question but difficult to answer somewhat.
This is why we started with making these DVD's on Carp fishing. The method of fishing Carp this way is called specimen fishing. Basically it means that you are going only after carp and the big ones. Almost like trophy hunting if you would like to compare.

Interest to note is that just as you prepare for a good hunting trip so you should prepare and get all equipment together for this type of fishing. What I noted and the guys thought it was funny is that the difference between hunters and fishermen were that the hunter will reload rounds and keep all reloading equipment at home but the fishermen brings all along to test what is working best unless you know the water and what they prefer.

I'm sure that if you'd go to a big fishing store and ask them about Specimen fishing they would be able to help you most of the ideas and gear originates from the UK with 3 million registered Carp anglers and limited water and time they improve their gear at such a big rate.

Some of the big names are FOX and Korda not sure of that ones spelling. Please also remeber that this type of fishing only works on catch and release basis. You catch a biggie and you release two years from them he would have grown and you catch a bigger one.

Unfortunately our dvd's are made in PAL format and the first one is a basic guide to specimen fishing. Unless you want to play it on your computer. I know that in the south of Canada and nothern part of the States there is a lot of guys who does specimen fishing seriously. The advantge you have in Texas is warmer weather Carp grow bigger and quicker in warmer waters and that is why we are going round the country to find the new world record and I'm sure we will get close to making it with our unexplored waters we have here by unexplored I mean been fished but not on a specimen fishing scale.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Safari Hunt,

Where these Carp caught in the Klaserie dam?

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
ghundwan,

No, not the Klaserie that is next months trip. I can't actually say where it was caught as it is kept quiet. The reason being is that very few people practise catch and release and we are trying to avoid people taking out the fish which for growing to that size would be around 20years old.

Last year a guy caught a 22kg there and took it home reason I'm going to get it mounted a few months later when asked where is mount was the answer was "Damn, no too bloody expensive" All you need for a mounted fish is pictures, measurements and the weight no need to kill it.

I sound like PETA now but the more bigger fish there is in a dam the less the smaller ones will anoy you. If you are serious about fishing and wil practise Catch and realease and really want to know where to catch monters like that send me a pm. I can even sell you the first DVD with the basic of specimen fishing as well for R130.00 its a long double disk movie 3 1/2 hours.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Are these the same fish as European carp? Are they an introduced or native species?

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
John,

Yes, same as in Europe and introduced. Apparently the guys told me that you rarely find a leather carp though one without any scales. Which is more common in Europe.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Frederik,

A delicacy in Europe, however the carp in the Aust Murray River are regarded as pests and most fisherman throw them on the bank to get rid of them.

They have succeeded in driving close to extinction many of the native species such as Murray Cod and others (I'm not a fisherman bewildered) and also as bottom feeders have resulted in river systems becoming much more murky.

Some nice large fish in your photos though. thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote