Notify
Tools

Re: Another Lion "Stalking"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
So how long did it take you to "unpucker" after that! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Since Saeed posted a "lion stalking" thread, I decided to post a photo from my last hunt which is very similar. I had been considering whether to do this, but didn't know if anyone might have any interest. We were checking baits when this situation occurred.

Needless to say, I had my rifle in one hand and my camera in the other (not that the rifle would have done me much good anyway at that distance unless I had already been aiming ). I had been taking a picture of the bait and surrounding area when I saw this lioness, and decided to go ahead and take a few photos since my camera was already pointed at the lioness. About this time I heard my friend who was videotaping the area saying "Here's Jim on foot in the foreground taking a photo of a real, live, wild African lion. It's good that he has his rifle, because all the other rifles are in the vehicle" . Just goes to show why I don't go more than a couple of steps from the bakkie without my rifle .

Things could certainly get "interesting" in a hurry in these situations .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There is a thread now pending from Saeed entitled "What Walter Saw From His Bathroom". Jim (Mbogo375) should have named this one:

WHAT I SAW WHILE I WAS GOING TO THE BATHROOM (in my britches, that is).

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ominous. Who's the hunter and who's the hunted?

Whitworth

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 98% pucker factor just thinking about it. She is quite intent on an entree, whether it was the bait or the great white hunter taking her portrait.

Did you just carefully back off or did she give ground?

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Makes ya wonder how many times you DIDN'T see what might be looking at you from the bush.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a 98% pucker factor just thinking about it. She is quite intent on an entree, whether it was the bait or the great white hunter taking her portrait.

Did you just carefully back off or did she give ground?

RHS,

I shifted the camera down onto the strap, brought the rifle around for a two hand hold, and carefully backed away. It all happened too quickly to allow me to consider how much potential danger we were in. If I had time to think about it, the photo might have been blurry due to "camera shake" . Definitely one of those situations that you are not likely to forget soon .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A few years back, we put a bait up for lions in Matetsi.

The bait tree was in a sort of dog leg of a valley.

We went one morning to see if anything has eaten. We approached from a hill over looking the tree. As we got closer, we heard some growling. We got excited, and thought we might be lucky and find a good male there.

We approached very carefully, and when we looked down, we saw two lioness and some half grown cups.

One of the cups was looking straight at us. We just stood there looking at them.

A couple of minutes later, we saw the head of a lioness creep up from below, and look at us from 7 yards away. She must have gotten a whif of us, as she made a sort of WOOF sound, and ran off down to her mates, taking the whole troup with her.

Posts: 68677 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote