New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying money
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What amounts of money do most people take over with them? Do you have to declare the money to customs if you so much? Is it best to have small bills in Africa.

Thanks,

Northway

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to be more specific, where are you going?, "what will you need money for?". Tips? etc. Are you going hunting, bird watching, sight seeing or just going on a trip some where.? CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are in the US....one is technically not allowed to take more than $10,000 in cash out of the country. As for declaring it on arrival, there isn't a foreign government in the world that is going to discourage you from bringing in hard currency. Still, I wouldn't declare it...there is no reason to advertise to anyone that you are carrying a large sum of money on your person.

Having small bills anywhere in Africa is a good habit to get into. A little appreciation goes a long way and a lot of "appreciation" can get you out of pretty much any mess.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
John that is not quite true.

Anyone can take as much cash out of the country as he wants, as long as--if it's more than $10,000--it's declared on a federal form before leaving.

In answer to Northway's question, I always try to take as little as possible, in a mix of large and small bills, but lots of singles, fives, tens and twenties for tips, etc.

To the extent I can't avoid it and need more, I take traveler's checks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I always like to carry two or three thousand US$ in large bills as emergency money.

Picture this scenario. You are hunting in Mozambique. The rebels have defeated the gov't. You need to drop your safari immediately and hire a light plane to fly you to Rhodesia. Now make that Zimbabwe and Botswana in modern times.

Or "Mr Sir, I didn't realise the outfitter was taking me poaching on culls in the concession or park. Please don't put me in the cell with the twenty big black bubbas! How can I help you help me in this?"

It can happen.

Nothing talks like cash!

Also carry lots of $1 notes for minor tips. Tipping with $20 notes in Africa is foolish.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

Also carry lots of $1 notes for minor tips. Tipping with $20 notes in Africa is foolish.

The one mistake I always seem to make is taking too few small bills. Take lots of ones. Just like Las Vegas, everyone seems to expect a tip for whatever they do - carry your bag a few feet, or whatever, they have been conditioned to it. Lots of ones spread around gets you lots of favors, and no one makes change!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrlexma:
John that is not quite true.

Anyone can take as much cash out of the country as he wants, as long as...it's declared on a federal form before leaving.
QUOTE]

You are right, of course....but who want to mess with more federal paperwork than necessary. Also, it seems that, in the age of wire transfers, cash is or should only be emergency funds to be used as described above by Nitro. More than 10K seems a bit much.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
cash is or should only be emergency funds to be used as described above by Nitro. More than 10K seems

JTG

The other purpose for cash is it gets better transfer exchange rates than official rates.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As recently as 2002 traveler's checks were not accepted in Tansania and I had to carry cash.It was less than 10K but it made me a little nervous but I keep it on me until we arrived at camp and then had it locked up in the strong box. When I return to Tanzania, if this situation is still the same, I will have the booking agent hold the funds until after the hunt and then release them. Live and learn I guess.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
NitroX is right. One feel very free with a huge pile of bills. I let my money in my locked luggages.
One feel free if we have to leave the country in a hurry (life insurance). It was almost the case this year in the CAR.
One feel free to shoot more than a sensible bag................and one can buy wifezilla gems or jewels to be forgiven for spending so much money selfishly hunting ........and to coax her into buying the nex family car. I am trying for a new ATV, not a success for the moment.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
As for declaring it on arrival, there isn't a foreign government in the world that is going to discourage you from bringing in hard currency. Still, I wouldn't declare it...there is no reason to advertise to anyone that you are carrying a large sum of money on your person.
JohnTheGreek

John, I'm not an expert on the legalities of transporting large sums of cash around the World. But your statements above make me feel a bit uneasy.
1) Few countries, in these days of attempted crackdown on money laundering, are just going to stand by, and watch you waltz past Customs with large sums of cash. What amounts to large?? Probably depends on what you can make case for needing. In a safari country, probably more than in a regular "lie on the beach" type destination. But I doubt you can expect to walk in with any amount of cash. Customs might want to ask about possible Columbian connections. I believe this is the case in the US as well.

2) I don't know about these days, but you used to have to declare your foreign currency when entering Zimbabwe - in an attempt to stop black marketeering, I suppose. I can certainly see your point about not wanting the World to know, that you carry 10-20K$ with you. But not observing rules of declaration could cause some unfortunate effects - like a prison cell in Harare...

Just one man's opinion.

Taking larger amounts of $$$ to Africa has always been a pain in the do-do. Travellers' checks have been the least poor option for me - although expensive to buy and bulky to carry. At least they provide some minimum of safety.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Just because you need to declare it at home on the way out doesn't mean anyone is aware of it at your destination or on the flight there. The declaration is meant to be confidential.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the early 80's I traveled to North Africa on business. I was carrying a few thousand in cash for emergencies. There was a big sign in the airport at arrival that said something to the affect that large amounts of cash would be confiscated, and I was over the dollar amount.
Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones that was hustled through customs and immigration. The interesting thing is that when I left I didn't have time to change the local money back into US dollars and it's useless out of that country.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think we should tell the world how much money we carry anywhere, the internet has long tenicles...If you doubt this ask Ted Blackburn.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In much of the world, even Africa, you can get cash from an ATM machine. In any case, you must carry some cash with you:
-- one dollar bills for small tips;
-- one hundred dollar bills for turning into local currency in relatively small amounts should you want to buy something where dollars get a blank look or are risky for the merchant to hold;
How much is up to you, but maybe $ one or two thousand for eventualities, with important expenses covered by wire transfer or even a personal check if you know the people you hunt with. Just a note on traveler's checks, if you can't/won't do wire transfers, take them in $500 bills. You must order from your bank in advance, but they can get $500 t-check bills that bulk much smaller if you plan to pay the entire hunt off that way.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I was more interested in the smaller bills that people use. I will take care of the outfitter before hand. I will get plenty of ones to use.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Upon entering either Canada or the U.S., you 're supposed to declare anything over $5000 or risk forfeiting it if caught. The U.S. asks for a reason. ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to ask Use Enough Gun about his currency carrying story. It's unbelievable - and I was there to see it.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't think we should tell the world how much money we carry anywhere, the internet has long tenicles...If you doubt this ask Ted Blackburn.

Ray,

Can you elaborate. I have no idea who the gentleman is.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Right guys

Pleeeeeeeease listen to me carefully as the saying goes ..

I am only going to say this once and once only Wink

When you Travel to Africa in particular there are a multitude of countries all with their own rules and various officials in authority and the general public ALL ready and willing to fleece you wherever possible, so be damn careful and take some common sense precautions which of course we ALL KNOW but WE NEVER listen to ourselves do we, we only listen to others (-:

Rule #1) Pay as much as humanly possible prior to your home departure / and pay by t/t as it is BEST for the payer and the payee

Rule#2) Minimise the amount of cash in your back pocket as (stolen notes) are not easy to recover, BUT DO take some amount of small denomination bills as they sure come in handy to grease the palms of willing blackmailers ( excuse the pun ) and others of impeccable character

Rule#3) Some travellers cheques are often quite/very useful for EXTRA emergencies BUT if you have some BIG PAYMENTS to make over in Africa rather consider a second (balloon payment) telegraphic transfer

Rulet#4) Take a credit card for all bits and bobs smaller payments or to get you out of an emergency payment when you see that wonderful gift for your wife, BUT dont load the CARD with massive one off payments which can cost a percenage in forex exchange and other misc extras, dependant upon the bank and the card you have of courcce

Rule #5) Listen to me on Rules 1-4 pleeeee or suffer the consequences.

I must admit if you are going into a fluid situation and with danger of being held to ransome as NitroX says CASH might be a saviour, but then again it might just be easier for the CON MEN to fleece you ...

Gee life with lots of money to mburn can be a pain in the arse at times. As Ray or someone else SAID the less you tell someone in authority how much you might be taking out the better, the web has tenticles shame

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good advice Peter. Telegraphic Transfers-is that the same as a bank wire transfer? By the way, on my first trip to the Dark Continent, I took a very large amount of traveler's checks in a money belt inside the front of my pants. As I was getting off of the plane in Kimberley SA I felt something running down the front right pants leg. Apparently the money belt had flipped upside down and opened up (velcro closures) Each step that I was taking was depositing 3 or 4 traveler's checks in the aisle of the plane. After grabbing my crotch to stop the loss and frantically picking up all of the checks (which no one had thought to pick up-they were all unsigned), I was able to make it off of the plane. Fortunately, I retrieved all of the checks, but had to spend 1/2 hour counting them in the bathroom of the Kimberley airport while my PH stood waiting for me with my hunting partner.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
UEGun

Yes, t/t and wire transfer are one in the same, just different terminology used ... It is deinately the quickest, cheapest, safest, most hassle free way to send large amounts of money around the world IMHO .....

Often my ( repeat or well know clients ) do the following ..

1) Send a t/t covering the initial deposit sometimes 6-12 months prior to departure for their hunt

2) Just prior to their departure from home ( 3-5days ) they send a SECOND balloon payment t/t cover the bulk of the outstanding payment including an amount to cover their trophy wish-list

3) Following the hunt they then then p[ay (at the ranch ) in either T/C or CASH any outstanding smaller amounts once the fina;l bill is tallied up.

4) They have their plastic credit card with them for miscelleaneous purchases or any unforseen emergency costs that might crop up

IT seems to work just fine this way .... of cource a first time client may not wish to send the bulk of a payment prior to arrival, that is his choice and no problem at all, I just outline the best OPTION for trustworthy people

I was going to laugh for one moment when you started telling your story thinking you were going to say the (lovely lady air-hostess) had her hand down your trouser leg fleecing the loot ... WOW I was going to say, lady be my guest, just keep your hand and dont let go roflmao

BUR SERIOUSLY /

WEll what more can I say ... despite all we tell people they will still load themselves up with mountains of CASH & T/Cheques ...

You can take a horse to water BUT you cant make him drink ....

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter: Thanks for the valuable advice. And, as for the lady air hostess. . .she too thought it was quite funny to see a man dealing traveler's checks out of his pant leg like a Las Vegas dealer.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
And, as for the lady air hostess. . .she too thought it was quite funny to see a man dealing traveler's checks out of his pant leg like a Las Vegas dealer.

Did you get a date with her? Wink Smiler

John H.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to carry a dummy wallet with a bunch of ones and fake credit cards, so the muggers will have something to steal and won't look for your hidden stash.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, no as I was more interested in getting the currency safely rounded up. She also thought my grabbing my crotch (to try and stop the flow of the checks) was. . . well, we won't go there! By the way, I now see a reason to save all of those fake credit cards that you get in the mail!! Great idea Terry. Anyone know of some fake driver's licenses, etc. to go with them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, one last thing. Where do you get a dummy wallet as well? Or is that just the natural reference to the person who is carrying all of that cash and checks on his person?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, one last thing. Where do you get a dummy wallet as well? Or is that just the natural reference to the person who is carrying all of that cash and checks on his person?

I think you just buy a cheap wallet and put some cash, fake credit cards (the ones you sometimes get in the mail to encourage you to apply), etc. in it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Terry

I like your idea of the Dummy Wallet scenario with fake credit cards and the likes

Maybe someone can sniff around and get the numbers of Mugabes Swiss and other Banks accounts and print them on fake cards, that would be fun.

Peter

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know of some fake driver's licenses, etc. to go with them?

Just go to Mexico, then sneak back across the border into California, then call any Democrat elected official. They'll get you a real one! Mad Eeker roflmao

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you guys go to a lot of trouble. I don't carry a lot of $1s. Seems to me Americans run around hunting for people to tip. Most of the countries I've lived in the Americans tip about 20 times what the local will tip. I walk by a lot of outstretched hands these days, and they can tap on my window all they want. (Another reason I tip the PH and he takes care of everyone else; unless someone's done something extra special, like saved my life.)

I carry the gear I need to hunt with, the throw-down wallets and all the other just-in-case-of-an-emergency stuff I generally leave at home. I'm sure I'll be sorry some day, but it hasn't happened yet, and I'm used to third-world countries.

I try to stay low-key and don't draw attention by wearing Hawaiian shirts, and rubber necking around like I've never been to a foreign country before. I also keep a Clint Eastwood look in my eye that I hope discourages people from walking up to say Howdy.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I walk by a lot of outstretched hands these days, and they can tap on my window all they want. (Another reason I tip the PH and he takes care of everyone else; unless someone's done something extra special, like saved my life.)

thumb

quote:
I also keep a Clint Eastwood look in my eye that I hope discourages people from walking up to say Howdy.

I've found telling persistant touts to "ffff off" works quite well too.

John H.