Notify
Tools

Why is the .458 W/M dissed so much?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Allen,

You should start talking to D'Arcy about building you one. He sent me some pointers on handloads for mine and knows a lot about the round. Alas, mines only a Ruger...

I'm going to try and make it out to Tri-County this weekend and shoot it a few times.

Take Care and Happy Thanksgiving,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I'm not sure the Lott is really a "need," but I was somewhat surprised that the .470 (chronographed at 2100+, so it was close to the tabulated value of 2150 fps) didn't penetrate as much as I expected.

How much better my Lott is at 2300 fps over the 470 or 458WM? I don't really know, as every shot is different.

In the end, it probably matters not, but sells a lot of guns and components. [Smile]

Posts: 19326 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well as in any 458 win. campfire discussion,a lot of folks load that round with BS powder and a lot of folks bring some interresting thought to owning a 458 win....

Inasmuch as I just bought a Manchester Whitworth in .458 I will ring it out with handloads and factory loads and use the chronograph...I have done this before but its been a long time ago, so a new test is due and it should be fun, but don't expect me to give the caliber the benifit of the doubt, until it proves to me its got some life left in it....

When completed I will report my findings, then I will punch it out to a lott...the Lott still being the better round, that cannot be denied, recoil aside...

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote