Find
Notify
Tools

On the way home from Tanzania
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
At the moment I'm in the Amsterdam airport waiting on my 2 hour layover to pass. My son and I had a great hunt in TZ. I'll post pics when we get home. We hunted in the Masailand (Monduli) and in western TZ where we endured the flies. We cut short our Masai area hunt as we got everthing we wanted there (8 animals, 6 species) in only 3 days. We got a generuk, oryx, Lesser kudu, tommys, grants, ect.
In Moyowosi we picked up things like a leopard, sable, buff, waterbuck, topi, zebras, ect. I filmed at close range a lion but we decided it was only 5 and the new TZ laws can hurt you if you shoot one les than 6.
Overall it was great, including a day at Ngorongoro, and TGT is indeed as special as is advertised.
Pics and stories later!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Can't wait to see the photos. Sounds like you had a great trip. Congratulations.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Vic, what a trip. I can't wait for the details and pics. Have a safe journey home.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a truly wonderful trip. I look forward to details and pictures when you have the chance.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Your hunt sounds great! I am looking foward to the pics and full story.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on what sounds like a great trip...look forward to all the details!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I can't wait to read the story of your hunt and see your photos.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13653 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

I'm very much enjoying saying "I told you so". When you want to pick up the lion, EA kudu, Patterson's eland, Coke's hartebeest and a couple of huge buffalo etc. give me a call.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Are you thinking I was disappointed in my hunt? Not sure where you got that!
As for the lion, the new 2005 requirements for all lions to have a tooth checked to verify the lion's age at 6 or older will have a severe impact on those safari companies that have had high success ratios by taking younger lions. If the lion is deemed too young by the government official, the hunter will lose his $4,500 and the trophy itself.
As for Moyowosi, it has loads of lions. We had 5 different males hitting baits at one time or another that were too young. Of course we were checking for mane length and 3 to 4 inches or so (vs. 8 or 9) just won't do it. If there was anything I was surprised to learn about Moyowosi is that the section where I was had only been part of TGT for 2 years with this being the second. I suspect the reason for the abundance of younger lions was that the previous company did not have a mature lion policy like TGT’s prior to 2004. The abundance of lions we saw, however, does bode very well for the future, especially now that the government has adopted TGT's policy.
As for other items we hoped to get, only a roan was not taken. We looked but the grass that remained made finding them difficult.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I believe I have said nothing but good things about TGTS. What I meant was I was glad you had a good experience like I was sure you would. I also only meant when you got ready to take the rest of the EA species and to try for a lion again perhaps you could give me a chance to show you what we could provide.

As you probably remember I also did not get a lion with TGTS but thought my overall experience with them was very positive.

My apologies!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring, Has the goverment of Tanzania passed a new law that Lion must be 6 years or older to be hunted or is this a just a policy of TGTS?
If this is a new law, I can't find it in print anywhere. Glad to here you had a great hunt. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
MZEE,
According to what I was told this is indeed a new law that is in force this year. Some of the particulars of how it will be enforced were discussed between TGT and the gov't. For example, TGT thought that it was a bit unfair if the client shot a lion that was ruled too young, lost his trophy and the fee, while the PH and the safari company that had given the go ahead received no impact from the erroneous decision. TGT supports the intent of the law but suspects there may some slight modifications over time in regard to the distribution of the punishment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring, I am leaving on Wednesday for Tanzania to hunt Lion and Leopard. I have asked Don Causey of the Hunting Report to check it out. I have shot a few Lions and I can tell you ageing a Lion is most difficult, nose color alone is not a guarntee. I will get back to AR with what ever Don reports to me. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MZEE:
Spring, I am leaving on Wednesday for Tanzania to hunt Lion and Leopard. I have asked Don Causey of the Hunting Report to check it out. I have shot a few Lions and I can tell you ageing a Lion is most difficult, nose color alone is not a guarntee. I will get back to AR with what ever Don reports to me. CHEERS

You might look at this thread where there was some discussion of the issue and at least one member indicated that the age restriction had been communicated to the concession holders but not passed into law. I do not know the actual answer myself.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote