Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted
Haven't seen any posts recently about how well things were going in Zimbabwe and how hunters need have no concerns about their plans for hunts this season. I've seen a fair amount of information from other sources suggesting that a certain amount of concern might be prudent.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
You'd throw a rock at a seemingly quiet hornet's nest on a hot June afternoon, just 'cause you're bored; wouldn't you? Come on, admit it.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Only if the fish weren't biting.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a bit curious about what is going on lately myself. Has there been any news from our friends on the ground over there or anything from hunters returning?

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had an email from Gordon Duncan and he said that Senuko was enjoying a full schedule and he was on his way to Doma where he has acquired some additional property. So, my sense is that while things are poor economically and a bit tense for the MDC, life is more or less normal.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
I agree...

It'd be nice to get some actual reports…

From folks actually running outfits there or from hunters returning from hunts as opposed to speculators and shit stirrers that have no vested interest or intentions of going there…

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real test is when the runoff elections take place at the end of the month. Then we will see. Hopefully all will be all right.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, trophyhunter, I think the folks with the "vested interest" would be the last ones I'd trust (simply because of that vested interest). I Google "Zimbabwe News" several times a day and decide for myself, based on press reports, about how "safe" a place it is right now.

As it stands, at this minute, I'd still go, but I'd be sure to charter fly to whatever camp I was going to hunt. I sure don't want to get stopped at a roadblock and be mistaken for a U.S. or British diplomat, or worse yet, a journalist!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I really hope to be in the Save this time next year, hunting buffalo. Just in wait and see mode. Trying to mix prudence with the shifting reality of the situation, throw in my fricking addiction to get back; hell I was in sales, so I know what my "friend" in the business over there is going to tell me. He's trying to support a family in possibly the most upside down situation on the planet right now, so what would I do if I were in his shoes? Funny how an addiction to hunting can teach you about world politics, ain't it?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving for Chewore South on the 22nd of June. I'll be back on the 11th of July and will report at that time. At this point, We're still planning to go. Will charter right into camp. Plan on spending no significant time in Harare.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know, trophyhunter, I think the folks with the "vested interest" would be the last ones I'd trust (simply because of that vested interest).

True...

But hunters and or travelers whom have actually been there recently would be a more valid source of information to me than what I read or hear on the news...

The media also has a vested interest in the form of ratings or circulation and the more sensational their stories are the better it is for them...

I'm not saying things aren’t bad there...

I'm just saying that some sources of information have more validity than others...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just returned from Zim yesterday after a couple of weeks in country. Our arrival point was Bulawayo then up to Antelope Park near
Gweru for a day and night, then back thru Bulawayo to Turk mine for 11 days, then up to Vic Falls for 3 days. The economy is in shambles and hunger is the order of the day as you all know. Overall no trouble was encountered and I"ve always found the Zim folks to be much friendlier and more diligent than their counterparts in SA. Customs and gun clearance much quicker than SA. There were several groups of Chinese on the streets and at the Boma restruant who seemed to be regular tourist. Went for leopard and sable, got a nice sable (not super) but no spots. There were 9 of us including 2 wives and 2 children.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Jines is there right now hunting and will have a report as soon as he gets back. I've been in regular comms with Charlton McCallum and they are doing fine and clients are having good hunts.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had three clients return unscathed recently and all reported that everything was quiet.

I spoke to the PH I work with a couple of days ago. He says everything is really quiet. No doubt there are all sorts of shenanigans going on regarding the election, but this is targeted at the opposition voters (and it appears Westerners and diplomats who are "interfering" with the political process) and not at hunters.

Reportedly, 60 have been killed in political violence since the first election, the vast majority MDC supporters. That's disturbing but to put it in perspective, there are roughly 8 million people in Zim (I may be off) and that makes the odds of getting killed there much lower than in DC or Detroit.

Having said that, the real test will be what happens over the next 4 weeks...runup to and post election.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has anyway of knowing when or what may go on in Zimbabwe. Zim could implode at any moment or it may not. To tell yourself you are not taking a risk is foolish.

The place is unstable. The UN is looking at suitable refugee sites on the borders of Zim just in case.

I was there about a month ago and had no trouble. And the situation could change at any moment. None of these booking agents or PH's really know what is going to happen simply because nobody really knows what the extent of the troubles are going to be until it ether explodes or blows over.

Throw the dice....That is about as certain as anybody can be at this time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Have said it before and will say it again...If you are concerned- charter into the hunting area. There has never been, and nor is there any likelyhood of trouble in the Parks safari areas, or even most of the communal lands.

Since the elections we have had only one PH and his client seriously hassled - they were arrested driving from Bulawayo to Deka safari area and accused of trying to help a farmer in the area who was standing off an armed mob of malitia. They spent five days in Dete police station and funily enough, the client canceled his hunt and went home.

Considering all what you read in the press, one incident in seven weeks of "active political campaigning" isn't bad.

Still, at this point, I would not take a client on a road transfer through some areas. The main roads are, for the most part, fine, but in some of the old commercial farming areas there have been "improptu" road blocks from the malitia. Mostly no problem, but not always a pleasant experience Roll Eyes and not one I would want to put a client through if I want him back.

PS - Just had a lion hunt canceled. anybody feeling adventurous and wanting a short notice one (say early July), drop me a PM. US$300 per day, 18k if you pull the trigger (Of which you keep 3k in your hand until all paperwork is done and trophy is ready to ship)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang Ganyana...someone ought to JUMP on that offer. Post it in it's own topic and I bet it goes! Which area?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I Have said it before and will say it again...If you are concerned- charter into the hunting area.

I wonder if the price of charters will be affected by the increased demand?

Most of the charter quotes were pretty high last I checked...

Regardless of price it's still better than five days in the slammer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana is spot on. I flew into Harare 6/1. Bob was going, I think, to Rome, lots of police and army at the airport. They were mostly just hanging out. Police/immigration no problems. Charter fight to Chewore South. Charter back to Harare 6/8, the airport was deserted. Police/immigration no problems. Once you get out of Harare and Bulawayo into the Parks or Communal areas, everyone is OK and easy to get along with. Best to stay in e-mail contact with someone on the ground there, if you can. With the elections coming up end of the month, things might get strange. Charter fights will proably be OK, road transfers you are rolling the dice.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received this email from Zim.
This may shed some light on the locals take on the situation....

Hi Ted

Sarah forwarded me your recent e.mail asking for an honest assessment of the current situation in Zim.

If any serious violence erupts, it will be in the main cities, but restricted to the high density suburbs, locations etc. I doubt that we will see a Kenya type conflict here, as our local blacks are a far more peaceful bunch, l than those in East Africa.

Having said that, there have been a couple incidents across the country, where a few people [ not necessarily war vets ] have tried to take advantage of the situation, by moving onto farms etc. The Police have been very supportive and have removed or arrested most of these groups.

Recently there has been an increase in the pre-election " voters education " by the ZANU PF thugs, which is very unpleasant for the local black guys, but this violence has not affected us at all, so far, and hunting continues as normal.

In our area there is far less nonsense than there is elsewhere in the country and will probably remain a quieter area.

Please let me assure you that should a situation developed, that might affect our hunting operation, we will be the first to notify you, but I very much doubt that it will ever get to that.

We have 5 hunts on the go a the moment and non of the hunters have had any incidents on the journey between the Bulawayo airport and here, and all the hunters are pleasantly surprised just how normal everything seems to be in this part of the country.

I am living near the main Beit Bridge / Bulawayo road, on the edge of the Conservancy, easily accessed by anyone, G.M. of the Conservancy and therefore the first person likely to be approached by any bad elements, but do not feel threatened or uneasy in any way - if that is of any consolation to you.

Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Regards
Blondie

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine is leaving today for Zim and returns on July 3rd. He is hunting buf and hippo. I will talk to him when he returns and post his comments.
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Well, I just got back yesterday.

Chartered in and out of Bulawayo; no problems at all. My PH drove from Bulawayo to Goekwe and swaid he was stopped at 17 police roadblocks in 150 km; it was only some light harassment about his guns and some copper wire in his truck

We did make a couple of 2-hour road trips between camps with no troubles at all.

PLEASE ask your outfitter what supplies they may need that you can bring; there is simply NO economy there.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious to see what happens in next week's run-up to the run-off elections, and in the immediate aftermath. In a worst case scenerio, if Mugabe loses (fat chance) then his supporters may seek retribution on whites and other westerners. Up until now, the government has kept them reigned in.

I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision on whether or not to go ahead with a safari at this time. I have a high proclivity for adventure, but in this situation, anxiety may trump my adventurous spirit.

But in the long run, I'd probably have gone. My kids are about grown; my business (residential contractor) is in the toilette; my wife's having a nervous breakdown over the economy; and my dog's getting too old to care.

Besides, it would be the perfect opportunity to cross "Participate in an African Civil War" off my Bucket List! knife

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
BBC is by no measure great news organization they once were, but they are one of the few outfits giving coverage for Zim. This morning they quote Mugabe as saying he will not leave office until he takes all Zim lands from whites. First time he has speechified about this in a while, I would take this as a message to the "war veterans", and it starts again. I admire and sympathize with the "Rhodesians" who have stuck it out and still operate their farms and businesses, I can't imagine how they do it. That being said, they, and probably most members of this forum who hunt in Zim, could once again be targeted. Wish I could hunt there, glad I don't have to make a decision to go, or not, right now. Such a decision is serious business it seems to me. By the way, BBC America is on Dish network channel 135, or you can go to BBC.com

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
More Unsettling News

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, BBC America is on Dish network channel 135, or you can go to BBC.com

You can get them on XM radio too if you have access. Much more coverage of Zimbabwe than my other news outlets.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I just got back on Thursday, I had been there since 5/31, flying into Bulawayo, driving to Matetsi and then flying out of Vic Falls. The customs folks in Bulawayo actually thanked me for coming to visit. I saw the clerk behind the desk for the rifle permits actually give another hunter change when he didn't have exactly $30 US. All of the roadblocks we encountered just waived us through.

Things didn't seem any different then did the last time I was there in 2006. No fuel, little food, etc. The exchange rate went for $660M : 1 to $3.4B : 1 while I was there.

The natives seem to think that Bob is on his way out and things will be back to the way they were in 1990 within three weeks of him leaving power. My PH and cameraman had more realistic expectations.

The hunting was good; I took an elephant bull, buffalo, sable and kudu. Also saw some fantastic lions.

BTW, if anyone is going to Zim in the next month or so, hunting with a 416 Rigby and has an room to bring over a box or two of ammo for my PH, please send me a PM.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the hunting report and the pics! coffee Smiler

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
If anyone is headed to Vic Falls soon, and doesn't mind making a delivery, I need to get a small package to Russell Caldecott at the Ultimate Lodge. Thanks!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote