Elephants Sell Like Hotcakes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Elephants Sell Like Hotcakes

Mmegi/The Reporter (Gaborone)

July 21, 2005
Posted to the web July 21, 2005

Citizen hunters have bought 10 elephants in the Mmadinare area after an offer by the Department of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP). A public notice from the department said the elephants to be hunted in a controlled area CT 27 within a radius of 40km of Mmadinare village were sold for P8, 000 each.

The department's public relations officer, Tshepo Gaobakwe said the exercise is a temporary measure to remove elephants that have been a problem to villagers. "The long-term solution will be to relocate some of the elephants to deserving countries such as Mozambique," he said.

He explained that the sale follows an urgent appeal recently by residents of Mmadinare to the Minister of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism Kitso Mokaila. "Given the urgency of the appeal, the minister had to speedily find a solution."

The hunting expeditions, which are closely monitored by wildlife officers, started last week Monday and are expected to continue until September 20. The one-off sale was conducted on first come first serve basis over the counter in all of the department's stations countrywide.

The hunting licences, however, come with stringent conditions. Licence holders maybe required to undertake a target shooting proficiency test. The licences are not transferable. All the ivory from the hunting is to be weighed and marked as per CITES requirements. The ivory will be personal effects and are not transferable or exportable under any circumstances.

"The owner of the ivory shall be required to produce the ivory ownership certificate when required to do so by a law enforcement officer," the regulations say.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9494 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHat is the cost in US$?

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thursday, July 21, 2005
8,000 Botswana Pula = 1,446.40 US Dollar

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9494 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It's about US$1,450 per elephant.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote