Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa and handguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
In the past when I have gone to SA I have taken a handgun with me - not for hunting. Any information with current requirements or rules would be appreciated.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Only hunting handguns allowed. They must be single action, bolt action or single shot. NO double actions or semi autos allowed.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can second no handguns. Even the "hunting handguns" are not well specified. I use to take my glock for two legged critters. No problem in RSA or Zim.

RSA changed their law on Handguns in or around June 2004. When I landed in RSA in 04 they confiscated my trusty glock. The policeman did try to figure a way for me to keep it, but he ended up calling a friend of his who was an importer/exporter. I got my gun sent home. The cost was more than the price of a new glock.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The situation is a little confused at the moment. According to the new act, overseas hunters are allowed to bring in one handgun for hunting as long as it's no larger than .45 and single shot or revolver.......... However, the PHASA newsletter says that overseas hunters will not be allowed to bring in any handguns..... I think this is a translational or typo error and have queried it with the office.......the bad news is that everyone who knows the situation is currently in the US and won't be back until the middle of February. As soon as I have a definitive answer I'll post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a shame. I took my 1911 in 2000. It would be nice if they still allow revolvers. A Model 29 would be very comforting.

Bill, did you see the post where I mentioned I had visited with Danie Van Graan at SCI in Reno?
I passed on your greetings. He remembers you very well.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
In 2005 Dr Larry Rogers killed a rhino with a Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh. He used the services of Air 2000.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Tom. Thank you for that. My times with him are memorable. I always carried a handgun when I went in, and strapped it on at thre airport. Usually a 1911, and as I recall, Danie usually had one strapped on when he went to town. I can pass on that now, I guess, but if revolvers are allowed, I'll take my short barreled Cimarron. It's a "comfort level" thing.

quote:
Bill, did you see the post where I mentioned I had visited with Danie Van Graan at SCI in Reno?
I passed on your greetings. He remembers you very well.

Tom

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote