Find
Notify
Tools

Part time PH-ing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted
With regards to the other post about would you hunt with an American/ foreign PH, I wondered what the members feel, will they be comfortable hunting with a part time PH? And why? I personally feel that a full timer will be better equipped to do the job, and that a lot of part time PH's are responsible for most of the trouble that the hunting industry has as a whole.

Question:
Would you hunt with a part time PH?

Choices:
Yes
Depends
Only for PG
Never

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Karl,

What is your classification of a part time PH ?
How many days will make a full time ph and how many a part time ?

That will make it easier to answer your poll I think.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Full time- major income derived from hunting industry, part time only some spending money. If i have to put it in days, I would say a full time PH should at least hunt more than 100 days a year, most really full time guys hunt more than 150 days a year, and the rest we are busy in the industry as well, eg. checking out areas, building camps, baiting, culling etc.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl

I checked "DEPENDS" because I've hunted with guys that used to hunt full time but now are involved in other things but take a few hunts for special clients etc.

I might be a litte apprehensive about hunting with a man that had mostly made his money farming for instance but took a few hunters just to fill in. I can see this situation being ripe for a FUBAR. I want a guy who is more interested in the hunting than anything else while he is in the bush.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it could go either way. My preference would be a guide, not a PH, or where possible totaly self-guided/no-intermediation.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I would hunt with a part-time PH / Outfitter however there is an increased chance of things not being properly organised, or the right level of professionalism.

Having said that, all but one PH has been full-time PHs and the only time there was big problems with the paperwork afterwards.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am with Mark.

I hunted with a outfitter that was a cattle and sheep farmer and we spent at least an hour everyday fixing fence, checking water well pumps, and other bullshit.

I even helped herd sheep one day.

No tip was offered to anyone but the cook.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot more PHs are part timers than one realize.

I think that a part or full time PH won't make whole lot of a difference.

I would rather think that the outfitter would be more of a concern to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark. I have had the "pleasure" of hunting with cowboy guides in the US who hunt about 3 weeks a year. It was a mess and not worth doing. I prefer the full time PH.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote