Find
Notify
Tools

Cuban Cigars in London
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
I'll be flying to Namibia in June to hunt with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris. In the past, I've always flown through Frankfort and bought my Cuban cigars at the Duty Free Shop at the airport. This year, I've got a 9 hour layover at London Heathrow. Is it cheaper to take a train into downtown London, or is it a better deal to buy Cubans at the Duty Free shops at Heathrow? If the better deals are downtown, what specific shops offer the best prices?

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
I'll be flying to Namibia in June to hunt with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris. In the past, I've always flown through Frankfort and bought my Cuban cigars at the Duty Free Shop at the airport. This year, I've got a 9 hour layover at London Heathrow. Is it cheaper to take a train into downtown London, or is it a better deal to buy Cubans at the Duty Free shops at Heathrow? If the better deals are downtown, what specific shops offer the best prices?

http://www.sauttercigars.com/

Never done a price comparison but Sautter is hard to beat for quality and experience.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Any other suggestions for Cuban cigars in London?

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
You might not be able to leave the airport with guns and baggage checked through.

The airport has some decent prices, and will definitely be cheaper than the London stores. I generally get some decent deals on cigars in african airports especially Joburg.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
You might not be able to leave the airport with guns and baggage checked through.

The airport has some decent prices, and will definitely be cheaper than the London stores. I generally get some decent deals on cigars in african airports especially Joburg.
K

I won't have any guns, nor checked luggage- just carryon. So are Joberg Tambo airport prices cheaper than London Heathrow prices?

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
Any other suggestions for Cuban cigars in London?

Apart from Sautters the only other places I use are James Fox and Davidoff, both on St James's Street. None of the three are cheap but you get what you pay for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which isn't always the situation with Cuban cigars that are in many areas fakes.

A store with a good rep is a good unsyrance oikucy agaunst gettung ruooed off

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Bud, be aware that in Jo,burg you cannot buy duty free transiting to Namibia.
I discovered this horrible state of affairs last June.
So make sure you pick up your cigars and whiskey,Irish please, in London.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heathrow...airport has some decent prices, and will definitely be cheaper than the London stores.

+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.There's nothing like sitting around a mopane campfire after a good day's hunting puffing on a good Cuban and sipping on a cold Tafel beer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One good thing obummer did this year. With the normalization of relations with Cuba, my local guy says we will get Cubans this summer. Beats that 500+ mile ride up to Canada. It's a great ride for four or five of us on the HD's, but still, one long day up.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stopped smoking years ago but I find the fragrance of good cigar tobacco is the next best fragrance to that of flowers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stopped smoking years ago but I find the fragrance of good cigar tobacco is the next best fragrance to that of flowers.

Pot perhaps? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only surpassed by the fragrance of good pipe tobacco.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Pot perhaps? Big Grin

I knew I had you on ignore just from reading your post.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Bud,

With a nine hour layover you will want to get out anyway. The likelihood is that I will already be in Africa in June but if date suit then I can meet you in the west end and show you a couple of options for lunch and a terrace to smoke a cigar on before you head back.
I usually pick up a box of either wide Churchill, (R&J) a box of petit robusto Hoyo's or a box of Monty's Petit Edmundos when I go through heathrow. Generally they are a couple of hundred of quid and last me a safari.

It's the price of the Cohiba clubs that make my eyes water!!

K

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bud,

I can meet you in the west end and show you a couple of options for lunch and a terrace to smoke a cigar on before you head back.
I usually pick up a box of either wide Churchill, (R&J) a box of petit robusto Hoyo's or a box of Monty's Petit Edmundos when I go through heathrow. Generally they are a couple of hundred of quid and last me a safari.

K

KIRI: My BA flight on June 23rd arrives at Heathrow at 10:00 AM and departs for JoBerg at 7:10 PM. If you're available, we can do lunch, exchange hunting lies and smoke a cigar or two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
St James place! Plus right next to Beretta Gallery, William Evand and others cannot go wrong.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Buy your cigars in Sautter then nip round the corner to Alfred's for lunch and a smoke. You will be five minutes or less from H&H, Purdey and William and Son.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
JJ Fox in St James's - opposite William Evans

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Bud,

As suspected, we will miss the opportunity as I am departing to Jo'burg on the 19th for a few weeks.

What's your return layover like? I will currently be back around the 18th July unless the extra week of wing shooting I have fills up and so I will stay out there until the
26th.

K

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
One good thing obummer did this year. With the normalization of relations with Cuba, my local guy says we will get Cubans this summer.

IMO, the best part of the normalization of relations with Cuba is that the prices of the best Dominican cigars is in freefall right now.
I have smoked plenty of Cubans and I am not convinced that they are at all worth the premium.

Posts: 3308 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bud,

What's your return layover like? I will currently be back around the 18th July unless the extra week of wing shooting I have fills up and so I will stay out there until the
26th.

K

On the way back, I pass through London on July 5th. Sorry I'll miss you.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Hi Bud,

I would be delighted to meet you and take you for lunch and a cigar. My job means that I have periods of intense activity interspersed with a more relaxed schedule so perhaps we could PM in early June to see how things are looking.

Best wishes,
Milo.