THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zimbabwe bans hunting to protect elephants

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe bans hunting to protect elephants
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Zimbabwe bans hunting to protect elephants - paper
Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:51 PM GMT

HARARE (Reuters) - Zimbabwe, home to thousands of elephants, has banned safari hunting in the western districts of Dete and Hwange to protect a "presidential" elephant herd, the official Herald newspaper said on Wednesday.

"We have banned hunting activities in those areas where we find the presidential herd of elephants for sanity and order to prevail," the paper quoted Tourism and Environment Minister Francis Nhema as saying.

The paper did not explain what it meant by "presidential" or whether the herd was owned by President Robert Mugabe.

Nhema and tourism ministry officials were not immediately available for comment on Wednesday.

Safari tourism in the area has been in steep decline since 2000 when Mugabe loyalists invaded farms and other land in support of the government's controversial seizure of white-owned farmland.

Conservationists have complained that rampant poaching has accompanied the invasions amid a breakdown of law and order in the countryside.

"As a result of the illegal hunting we lost business because our clients were scared away by the dead animals they saw on their tours and the shooting done by the hunters," the Herald quoted an official from one tour operator as saying.

With tens of thousands of elephants, Zimbabwe has one of the largest populations of the giant beasts in Africa.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9494 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see, it's Bob's herd. I guess he'll just commision some of his cohorts to smuggle ivory out whenever there's problem ele's in that particular herd.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Oh, I see, it's Bob's herd. I guess he'll just commision some of his cohorts to smuggle ivory out whenever there's problem ele's in that particular herd.

EXACTLY!!! It's easier to smuggle ivory to China if it ships with the President's blessing.

Where is "Dete"?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't just simply amazing that whenever the "troops" are taking care of problem ele's that they all seem to have good ivory?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Again, Where is "Dete?"

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dete (formerly Dett) is the farming area adjacent to Hwange main camp.

All the farms in this area were occupied right at the beginning of the farm invasions and then parcelled out amongst a clique of politicians who are now out of favour. With the court case starting against one of the "out of Africa" croud starting here next week, the minister saw an oportunity to deal a blow to their new front (nyala safaris- who are doing all the hunting in that area) and hammer the politico's who belong to an opposing faction.- nothing to do with conservation

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safariman
posted Hide Post
As posted above, I called Zimafrica Safari's in Boulawayu this morning. As of this date they have not bee notified of any changes or restrictions. I have asked them to look into this as I am meeting with several prospective hunters this weekend and will need to know exactly what we can offer. They will report back to me shortly and I will post their findings. Stay tuned.

When you are but fifty feet from a beast that can stomp you into a mudpuddle or shred you into fajitas, rest assured he will have your UNDIVIDED attention!! www.aahsomeafricanadventures.com safariman416@hotmail.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Walla Walla Washington | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safariman
posted Hide Post
Dete is a small community near Gwaii farm commune in northwestern Zimbabwe. Fairly close to Hwange Nat'l Park. It is noted for its sewage wastewater treatment ponds that are now in shambles and have become a serious health hazard but are quite an animal attraction. These old waste ponds are known in the area as the 'shit pit' and sometimes a PH who is despaprate to get his client an animal of some kind will hunt there. Not your 'african wilderness safari experience' in my opinion, But often effective in a pinch.

When you are but fifty feet from a beast that can stomp you into a mudpuddle or shred you into fajitas, rest assured he will have your UNDIVIDED attention!! www.aahsomeafricanadventures.com safariman416@hotmail.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Walla Walla Washington | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I think I now know where Bob got the 120 mil he repaid to the IMF

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Bob is going to save the elephant the same way Kenya did. Didn't they lose 70% of the herd to poaching the first year after hunting was banned? Pity, pity ,pity.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote