Find
Notify
Tools

Malaria in Namibia?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Is there any where in Namibia where Buff can be hunted in a non malaria zone? (Not a ranch)

I've been told that it is possible in the Okavango Delta in Botswana but that is a bit pricey.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No. All wild and free ranging buff in Namibia are in the north-northeast, well within the malaria zone.

This map shows the malaria zone.

FWIW, however, in my experience of over a month's worth of hunting there, during hunting season, it's an extremely rare thing to see a mosquito anywhere in Namibia.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there similar maps for Botswana and Tanzania?

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the Okavango Delta is within the malaria zone. Each time that I've been there I've been advised to take antimalarials.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you google "Africa Malaria Maps" there is alot of good information, including months transmission starts in various countries and areas and when the transmision season ends.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the period of transmission in the north/northeast portions of Namibia starts in December/February and ends at the latest in May. So if you are hunting in the summer/fall the risks would seem to be small and especially so with appropriate prophalactics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the risk is lower in their Winter, not Summer/Fall. Remember, their seasons are opposite ours in the Northern Hemisphere.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very few to zero mossies in Namibia during our summer, their winter (cool/cold temps). We took our kids to Namibia in Jun/Jul06 and the pediatrician said they didn't need to take anti-malaria medicine in Namibia at that time of year. Their pediatrician is normally over cautious.

I was in the Okavango Delta in Oct05 (very hot at that time) and saw very few mossies. I just used spray and long sleeves at dusk/dawn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a couple of you noted... You hardly see a mossie in Namibia... However its not the ones you see that will get you... Its the ones you don't see. Glenda, my wife atracts mossies like crazy. I on the otherhand smell so foul that they leave me alone. While living in Namibia when we were visiting stronger malaria areas (like Oshikati or the Caprivi) we used long sleeves and a deet product. Its worth the risk to me to take precautions not meds.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Fallow,

Unless you have a known adverse reaction to malarone, I think it is unwise to risk malaria by failing to take the anti-malarial. The other precautions (DEET, long sleeves, etc.)should be considered as well. Malaria, especially for those of us Industrialized Nations citizens, is a very dangerous infection. It just doesn't make sense to take the risk when there are some very effective (nothing is 100%) prophylaxis out there. Also, be sure to take some antibiotics along in case you develop dysentery or some other infection. Yes, I know that's unlikely in Namibia, but you never know. Better to be prepared and thus potentially able to salvage your trip.

And finally, be sure to drink lots of beer every day. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice. We take Malarone for malaria (even in Namibia) and Cipro as a fail-safe antibiotic for gastro-intestinal bugs.

Prefer Scotch whisky to beer, though. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not against taking a prophylaxis BUT living there for 3 years and visiting the areas often the 4 people in my family never had malaria... nor any other of my colleges there. If you take some precausions you are likely to get by with those precausions. I am going to Kisangani DRC this summer and will be on something because of the frequency of malaria in the DRC. Namibia is another story. I would steer away from Larium (spelling) especialy if you have ever had depression. Just my opinion!
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote