New
Find
Notify
Tools

Austrailia Connections to Joburg
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinkin there might be a faster or better way for west coast hunters to get to RSA.

For starters is Austrailia a hassle to transfer rifles from one ariline to another?

From Seattle to Joburg I'm right at 12K miles. So that's 1/2 way around the earth. Why not go the other way? Seattle has lots of flights anyone know a good option?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Jim and I are thinking the same thing from LAX, JJ, and we saw that Qantas was offering flights from there to Sydney and on to Jo'berg. Since it would all be one flight, I can't see that the transfer of the guns in Sydney would be all that much hassle. Also, NitroExpress has stated that when he arrived in Jo'berg from Sydney, he was the only hunter on the flight. That has to be a better solution for us Left Coasters. It might take a bit longer in the air but given the time (and aggravation!) saved on the ground I think that it is a better solution. Besides, I think Qantas has more comfortable seating. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I key issue for me is the time of arrival, and the cost. I Need a morning arrival as the lady friend of mine who fetches me from the airport is not a functional night driver. I can drive her back to the lodge once I arrive. I just don't want her fetching me driving in the dark. Silly issue probably but she just cannot function in the dark while behind the wheel!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Have you looked at any of the budget flights within RSA? Kalula (?) is one company that seems to be expanding its operations and do quite cheap flights...As an example, I was told that flying from Joburg to Cape Town was around $100 return..I know they are now flying up to a couple of places near the Kruger, but not sure if they have any place that might be convenient for you..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is between 13 and 15 hours from LA to Sydney. Another 13 hours to Jo'burg. Assuming you are on a continueing flight (1-2 hour layover) who would unload you at the African end?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSA is my second home, I own a business and am partners in a very successful Hunting Lodge. Getting arrangements in Joburg will never be a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ - It's no problem transiting thru Aussie on Qantas with rifles - I do that regularly from NZ, but don't even consider stopping over with guns. The usual flight arrives +/- 16hoo in Joburg. Charlie. PS the Aussie - SA leg is a code-share with SAA but is always a jumbo to my knowledge.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
You know, with my airline discounts maybe it would behoove me to look into flights from Sydney to JNB. That would still be one hell of a trip from Louisiana.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
I live in Honolulu, and tried to book this way last year. I couldn’t find any information about how to make the transition through Oz with firearms, nor could I find out connecting flight information, so I went the other way around.

This was before I found AR, though, and I’ll bet that if I’d asked the right questions here I’d have been able to pull it off. I’m for sure going the Oz route next time, and it’s even closer for me starting from the middle of the Pacific.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seattle has lots of flights anyone know a good option?

JJ,

The best and easiest for you would be Seattle/Hong Kong/Singapore/Jo'brg

You'd transfer straight through in HK, same plane to Singapore. From Singapore straight to Jo'brg.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote