Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt Nyala?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
As soon as Wifezilla recovers from my last hunt, I'm thinking that the next animal that I want to hunt is a Nyala.

What areas of what countries, offer:

the best opportunity for a shot at a trophy Nyala?

the best trophy Nyala?

the best price on a Nyala hunt?

Thanks for any comments

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just in RSA in July/August and took a kid along to do his first hunting. He got a nice Nyala in the pangola area of Kwa-zulu. We saw a number of them every day. You might want to contact Pieter Kriel at hunt@huntinginafrica.co.za, or Kevin Thomas at buffhunt@mweb.co.za. I'm sure either will be able to help you with Nyala

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Nixon Dzingai at SSG Safaris would be my choice.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kwa zulu natal for sure
We killed 2 in 2 hours after passing up many as I wanted a real good harp shape and lots of ivory

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZDS..Go to their website and look at the big ones they have taken just this year.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Another vote for Coutada 11 in Mozambique with Mark Haldane's Zambeze Delta Safaris. I have hunted nyala in the lowveldt of Zim and Kwa-Zulu Natal and hands down the best nyala I have seen were in this concession. Not only long horns but heavy!

You mentioned you like wild Africa better than the more civilized Africa... this is it. 45 minutes by charter out of Beira to get to the area. No fences. Lots of game.... and buffalo. Buff in the swamps and buff in the suni forests! Hard to beat my friend.

I was there a year ago this week! Man I miss it looking back at my pics...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billsan:
Kwa zulu natal for sure
We killed 2 in 2 hours after passing up many as I wanted a real good harp shape and lots of ivory

+1 for Natal some great nyalas there and lots of bush pigs too could make for a great hunt.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Over in the African hunt report section,Brent has a report from Nuanetsi in Zimbabwe with some nice Nyala.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I was hunting coutada 11 with Bwanamrm last year and also took a dam nice nyala. Saw a ton of them so we could be very picky there.

Posts: 1793 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Frank, I was hunting coutada 11 with Bwanamrm last year and also took a dam nice nyala. Saw a ton of them so we could be very picky there.

Click on these photos/reports of big nyala taken just this year..

http://www.zambezedeltasafaris...ite_highlights_2013/

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The next time I hunt nyala, it will either be in Coutada 11, or with Gary Kelly in KZN. Gary Kelly has what is arguably the best area in KZN, and has been doing it longer than just about anyone else. On the other hand, the Mozambique Coutadas are kicking out some huge nyala to go along with superb other species....and you can hunt buffalo too!

Posts: 3858 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Mark Haldane and Zambezi Delta safaris in Coutada 11 in Mozambique. Lots of nyala and plenty of other plains game as well as buffalo.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the information here and in the PMs.

I just got back from RSA a week ago so I have to build up some points with Wifezilla before I book another trip but this information gives me a good base for my research.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Golly, Russell, your nyala is a dandy trophy for sure. faint Congrats on that one- awesome.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second this I was there a year ago in Oct. got a super trophy, as well as others in the group. Mine is 31" great horns and Ivory
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Frank,
Another vote for Coutada 11 in Mozambique with Mark Haldane's Zambeze Delta Safaris. I have hunted nyala in the lowveldt of Zim and Kwa-Zulu Natal and hands down the best nyala I have seen were in this concession. Not only long horns but heavy!

You mentioned you like wild Africa better than the more civilized Africa... this is it. 45 minutes by charter out of Beira to get to the area. No fences. Lots of game.... and buffalo. Buff in the swamps and buff in the suni forests! Hard to beat my friend.

I was there a year ago this week! Man I miss it looking back at my pics...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you look at Durban for free range Nyala.

You should be able to see up to 30 a day in some areas.

Try Lake Safaris based out of Durban. Trevor Lake kind of specialized in Free Range Nyala.
http://www.lakesafaris.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll 3rd Bwanarmr and Gunslinger, Zambesi Delta in Mozambique.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm and Biebs, you guys are killing me with the photos of those beautiful Nyala.

I've been married for over 36 years but if Wifezilla divorces me, it will be because of those pictures.

Frank

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Fjold

In Ethiopia of course :

Nyala hunting in Ethiopia

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB, Ethiopia...the Mt. Nyala. 3,000 miles from the nearest Zulu but stuck with a Zulu name Wink

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bos en Dal Safari's
posted Hide Post
Hunting in SA i would say KZN is your best area for nyala. Good luck on the planning

Best Regards
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren
Bos en Dal Safaris
www.bosendal.com
Tel: +275158307
email: gerrit@ehw.co.za

Posts: 56 | Location: Rustenburg South Africa  | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote